April 1: Day of the Week
April 1, 2017 was the 91st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 274 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your career today? Get the Career Analysis Report and get insights about your professional working life. Find out the circumstances that shape your professional life to improve your earning power. Start to seize career opportunities today! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aries horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
April 1: This Day in History
April 1 is most notable in many countries for being April Fools’ Day.
April 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1789In New York City, the United States House of Representatives holds its first quorum and elects Frederick Muhlenberg of Pennsylvania as its first House Speaker.
- 1826Samuel Morey patents the internal combustion engine.
- 1918The Royal Air Force is created by the merger of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service.
- 1919The Staatliches Bauhaus school was founded by Walter Gropius in Weimar.
- 1933The recently elected Nazis under Julius Streicher organize a one-day boycott of all Jewish-owned businesses in Germany, ushering in a series of anti-Semitic acts.
- 1948Cold War: Berlin Airlift– Military forces, under direction of the Russian-controlled government in East Germany, set-up a land blockade of West Berlin.
- 1957The BBC broadcasts the spaghetti tree hoax on its current affairs programme Panorama.
- 1967The United States Department of Transportation begins operation.
- 1978The Philippine College of Commerce, through a presidential decree, becomes the Polytechnic University of the Philippines.
- 1999Nunavut is established as a Canadian territory carved out of the eastern part of the Northwest Territories.
Who were born on April 1?
- 1578William Harvey, English physician (d. 1657)
- 1640Georg Mohr, Danish mathematician (d. 1697)
- 1933Dan Flavin, American artist (d. 1996)
- 1935Larry McDonald, American politician (d. 1983)
- 1949Gérard Mestrallet, French businessman
- 1972Allen Hughes, American film director
- 1974China Chow, British actress
- 1976Clarence Seedorf, Dutch footballer
- 1979Ivano Balić, Croatian handballer
- 1981Aimee Chan, Miss Hong Kong 2006
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.