April 1: Day of the Week
April 1, 2017 is the 91st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 274 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 1: This Day in History
April 1 is most notable in many countries for being April Fools’ Day.
April 1 Historical Event(s)
- 286Emperor Diocletian elevates his general Maximian to co-emperor with the rank of Augustus and gives him control over the Western regions of the Roman Empire.
- 1833The Convention of 1833, a political gathering of settlers in Mexican Texas to help draft a series of petitions to the Mexican government, begins in San Felipe de Austin
- 1865American Civil War: Battle of Five Forks – In Siege of Petersburg, Confederate General Robert E. Lee begins his final offensive.
- 1922Six Irish Catholic civilians are shot and beaten-to-death by a gang of policemen in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- 1941The Blockade Runner Badge for the German navy is instituted.
- 1944Navigation errors lead to an accidental American bombing of the Swiss city of Schaffhausen.
- 1949The 26 counties of the Irish Free State become the Republic of Ireland.
- 1976Conrail takes over operations from six bankrupt railroads in the Northeastern U.S.
- 2006The Serious Organised Crime Agency, dubbed the “British FBI”, is created in the United Kingdom.
- 2011After protests against the burning of the Quran turned violent, a mob attacked a United Nations compound in Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan and killed thirteen people, including eight foreign workers.
Who were born on April 1?
- 1884Laurette Taylor, American stage actress (d. 1946)
- 1936Abdul Qadeer Khan, Pakistani nuclear scientist
- 1939Phil Niekro, American baseball player
- 1962Samboy Lim, Filipino basketball player
- 1968Traci Lind, American actress
- 1971Lachy Hulme, Australian actor and screenwriter
- 1972Allen Hughes, American film director
- 1974Sandra Völker, German swimmer
- 1983Ólafur Ingi Skúlason, Icelandic footballer
- 1983John Axford, Canadian baseball pitcher
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.