April 2: Day of the Week
April 2, 2017 is the 92nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 273 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the April calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Diamond is the modern birthstone for this month. Opal is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
April 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1865American Civil War: The Siege of Petersburg is broken – Union troops capture the trenches around Petersburg, Virginia, forcing Confederate General Robert E. Lee to retreat.
- 1902“Electric Theatre”, the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California.
- 1911The Australian Bureau of Statistics conducts the country’s first national census.
- 1917World War I: President Woodrow Wilson asks the U.S. Congress for a declaration of war on Germany.
- 1980President Jimmy Carter signs the Crude Oil Windfall Profits Tax Act in an effort to help the U.S. economy rebound.
- 1984Squadron Leader Rakesh Sharma is launched aboard Soyuz T-11, and becomes the first Indian in space.
- 1991Rita Johnston becomes the first female Premier of a Canadian province when she succeeds William Vander Zalm (who had resigned) as Premier of British Columbia.
- 1992In New York, Mafia boss John Gotti is convicted of murder and racketeering and is later sentenced to life in prison.
- 2002Israeli forces surround the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem into which armed Palestinians had retreated. A siege ensues.
- 2004Islamist terrorists involved in the 11 March 2004 Madrid attacks attempt to bomb the Spanish high-speed train AVE near Madrid. Their attack is thwarted.
Who were born on April 2?
- 1647Maria Sibylla Merian, German botanist (d. 1717)
- 1838Léon Gambetta, French statesman (d. 1882)
- 1910Francisco Cândido Xavier, Most popular Brazilian medium (d. 2002)
- 1920Jack Webb, American actor, director, and producer (d. 1982)
- 1960Brad Jones, Australian racing driver
- 1967Helen Chamberlain, British television presenter
- 1976Andreas Anastasopoulos, Greek shot putter
- 1977Michael Fassbender, actor
- 1982Bianca Chatfield, Australian netballer
- 1982Leyla Milani, Canadian actress and model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.