February 16: Day of the Week
February 16, 2017 was the 47th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 318 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1249Andrew of Longjumeau is dispatched by Louis IX of France as his ambassador to meet with Mongol Khagan of the Mongol Empire.
- 1742Spencer Compton, Earl of Wilmington, becomes British Prime Minister.
- 1904New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- 1957The “Toddlers’ Truce”, a controversial television close down between 6.00 pm and 7.00 pm is abolished in the United Kingdom.
- 1959Fidel Castro becomes Premier of Cuba after dictator Fulgencio Batista was overthrown on January 1.
- 1960The U.S. Navy submarine USS Triton begins Operation Sandblast, setting sail from New London, Connecticut, to begin the first submerged circumnavigation of the globe.
- 1978The first computer bulletin board system is created (CBBS in Chicago, Illinois).
- 1985Hezbollah is founded.
- 1987The trial of John Demjanjuk, accused of being a Nazi guard dubbed “Ivan the Terrible” in Treblinka extermination camp, starts in Jerusalem.
- 1999In Uzbekistan, a bomb explodes and gunfire is heard at the government headquarters in an apparent assassination attempt against President Islam Karimov.
Who were born on February 16?
- 1620Frederick William, Duke of Prussia (d. 1688)
- 1643John Sharp, English Archbishop of York (d. 1714)
- 1845George Kennan, American explorer (d. 1924)
- 1878Pamela Colman Smith, British writer and occultist (d. 1951)
- 1896Eugénie Blanchard, French supercentenarian (d. 2010)
- 1909Hugh Beaumont, American actor (d. 1982)
- 1920Anna Mae Hays, American army general
- 1921Jean Behra, French race car driver (d. 1959)
- 1964Bebeto, Brazilian footballer
- 1977Ahman Green, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.