February 16: Day of the Week
February 16, 2017 is the 47th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 318 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1249Andrew of Longjumeau is dispatched by Louis IX of France as his ambassador to meet with Mongol Khagan of the Mongol Empire.
- 1804First Barbary War: Stephen Decatur leads a raid to burn the pirate-held frigate USS Philadelphia.
- 1852Studebaker Brothers wagon company, precursor of the automobile manufacturer, is established.
- 1918The Council of Lithuania unanimously adopts the Act of Independence, declaring Lithuania an independent state.
- 1923Howard Carter unseals the burial chamber of Pharaoh Tutankhamun.
- 1983The Ash Wednesday bushfires in Victoria and South Australia kill 75.
- 1985Hezbollah is founded.
- 1999New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 2005The National Hockey League cancels the entire 2004-2005 regular season and playoffs, becoming the first major sports league in North America to do so over a labor dispute.
- 2006The last Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH) is decommissioned by the United States Army.
Who were born on February 16?
- 1881Anna Pavlova, Russian ballerina (d. 1931)
- 1927June Brown, British actress
- 1929Gerhard Hanappi, Austrian footballer (d. 1980)
- 1932Otis Blackwell, American songwriter and singer (d. 2002)
- 1934Harold ‘Hal’Kalin, American singer (d. 2005)
- 1941Kim Jong-il, North Korean leader (d. 2011)
- 1945Jeremy Bulloch, English actor
- 1962John Balance, English musician (Coil, Psychic TV) (d. 2004)
- 1977Ian Clarke, Irish computer programmer
- 1984Ous Mellouli, Tunisian swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.