February 17: Day of the Week
February 17, 2017 was the 48th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 317 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 17 Historical Event(s)
- 364Emperor Jovian dies after a reign of eight months. He is found dead in his tent at Tyana (Asia Minor) en route back to Constantinople in suspicious circumstances.
- 1621Myles Standish is appointed as first commander of Plymouth colony.
- 1753In Sweden February 17 is followed by March 1 as the country moves from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar.
- 1801An electoral tie between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr is resolved when Jefferson is elected President of the United States and Burr Vice President by the United States House of Representatives.
- 1838Weenen massacre: Hundreds of Voortrekkers along the Blaukraans River, Natal are killed by Zulus.
- 1931New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1965Project Ranger: The Ranger 8 probe launches on its mission to photograph the Mare Tranquillitatis region of the Moon in preparation for the manned Apollo missions. Mare Tranquillitatis or the “Sea of Tranquility” would become the site chosen for the Apollo 11 lunar landing.
- 1972Sales of the Volkswagen Beetle exceed those of the Ford Model-T.
- 1995The Cenepa War between Peru and Ecuador ends on a cease-fire brokered by the UN.
- 1996NASA’s Discovery Program begins as the NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft lifts off on the first mission ever to orbit and land on an asteroid, 433 Eros.
Who were born on February 17?
- 1877Isabelle Eberhardt, Swiss explorer and writer (d. 1904)
- 1877Isidora Sekulić, Serbian prose writer, novelist and essayist (d. 1958)
- 1890Sir Ronald Fisher, Statistician and Geneticist (d. 1962)
- 1933Craig L. Thomas, American politician (d. 2007)
- 1941Julia McKenzie, English actress and theatre director
- 1948José José, Mexican singer and actor
- 1962David McComb, Australian musician (The Triffids) (d. 1999)
- 1963Rene Syler, American journalist
- 1977Wong Choong Hann, Malaysian badminton player
- 2000Theo Diconu,footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.