February 17: Day of the Week
February 17, 2017 was the 48th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 317 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1500Duke Friedrich and Duke Johann attempt to subdue the peasantry of Dithmarschen, Denmark, in the Battle of Hemmingstedt.
- 1801An electoral tie between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr is resolved when Jefferson is elected President of the United States and Burr Vice President by the United States House of Representatives.
- 1838Weenen massacre: Hundreds of Voortrekkers along the Blaukraans River, Natal are killed by Zulus.
- 1854The United Kingdom recognizes the independence of the Orange Free State.
- 1933The Blaine Act ends Prohibition in the United States.
- 1968In Springfield, Massachusetts, the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame opens.
- 1969New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1972Sales of the Volkswagen Beetle exceed those of the Ford Model-T.
- 2006A massive mudslide occurs in Southern Leyte, Philippines; the official death toll is set at 1,126.
- 2011Libyan protests begin
Who were born on February 17?
- 1581Fausto Poli, Italian Catholic priest (d. 1653)
- 1910Arthur Hunnicutt, American actor (d. 1979)
- 1940Gene Pitney, American singer (d. 2006)
- 1951Rashid Minhas, Pilot officer in Pakistan Air Force during Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 (d. 1971)
- 1957Loreena McKennitt, Canadian musician
- 1967Chanté Moore, American singer
- 1971Jeremy Edwards, British actor
- 1974Kaoru, Japanese musician
- 1978Jacob Wetterling, American kidnapping victim
- 1979Josh Willingham, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.