February 2: Day of the Week
February 2, 2017 was the 33rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 332 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 2 Historical Event(s)
- 506Alaric II, eighth king of the Visigoths promulgates The Breviary of Alaric (Breviarium Alaricianum or Lex Romana Visigothorum) a collection of Roman law.
- 1542Portuguese under Christovão da Gama capture a Muslim-occupied hill fort in northern Ethiopia in the Battle of Baçente.
- 1887In Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania the first Groundhog Day is observed.
- 1927New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- 1934The Export-Import Bank of the United States is incorporated.
- 1935Leonarde Keeler tests the first polygraph machine.
- 1943World War II: The Battle of Stalingrad comes to conclusion as Soviet troops accept the surrender of 91,000 remnants of the Axis forces.
- 1946The Hungarian Republic is proclaimed.
- 1966Pakistan suggests a six-point agenda with Kashmir after the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965.
- 1974The F-16 Fighting Falcon flies for the first time.
Who were born on February 2?
- 1455King John of Denmark (d. 1513)
- 1849Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav, Slovak poet (d. 1921)
- 1888Frederick Lane, Australian swimmer (d. 1969)
- 1925Elaine Stritch, American actress
- 1927Doris Sams, American baseball player
- 1967Arturs Irbe, Latvian hockey player
- 1972Melvin Mora, Venezuelan baseball player
- 1975Niclas Wallin, Swedish hockey player
- 1982Sergio Castaño, Spanish footballer
- 1990Dan Gosling, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.