February 22: Day of the Week
February 22, 2017 was the 53rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1371Robert II becomes King of Scotland, beginning the Stuart dynasty.
- 1797The Last Invasion of Britain begins near Fishguard, Wales.
- 1847Mexican-American War: The Battle of Buena Vista – 5,000 American troops defeat 15,000 Mexicans.
- 1879In Utica, New York, Frank Woolworth opens the first of many of 5 and dime Woolworth stores.
- 1882The Serbian kingdom is refounded.
- 1904The United Kingdom sells a meteorological station on the South Orkney Islands to Argentina, the islands are subsequently claimed by the United Kingdom in 1908.
- 1915World War I: Germany institutes unrestricted submarine warfare.
- 1942World War II: President Franklin D. Roosevelt orders General Douglas MacArthur out of the Philippines as the Japanese victory becomes inevitable.
- 1980Miracle on Ice: In Lake Placid, New York, the United States hockey team defeats the Soviet Union hockey team 4-3.
- 1986Start of the People Power Revolution in the Philippines.
Who were born on February 22?
- 1864Jules Renard, French author (d. 1910)
- 1895Victor Raúl Haya de la Torre, Peruvian politician (d. 1979)
- 1900Luis Buñuel, Spanish-born film director (d. 1983)
- 1908Sir John Mills, English actor (d. 2005)
- 1918Charlie Finley, American sports entrepreneur (d. 1996)
- 1921Giulietta Masina, Italian actress (d. 1994)
- 1923Norman Smith (record producer), English singer and record producer (d. 2008)
- 1926Kenneth Williams, English actor (d. 1988)
- 1963Devon Malcolm, English Cricketer
- 1982Robert Weiner, Jr., American water polo player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.