February 22: Day of the Week
February 22, 2017 was the 53rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1847Mexican-American War: The Battle of Buena Vista – 5,000 American troops defeat 15,000 Mexicans.
- 1853Washington University in St. Louis is founded as Eliot Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1855The Pennsylvania State University is founded in State College, Pennsylvania (as the Farmers’ High School of Pennsylvania)
- 1862Jefferson Davis is officially inaugurated for a six-year term as the President of the Confederate States of America in Richmond, Virginia. He was previously inaugurated as a provisional president on February 18, 1861.
- 1959Lee Petty wins the first Daytona 500.
- 1973Cold War: Following President Richard Nixon’s visit to the People’s Republic of China, the two countries agree to establish liaison offices.
- 1974The Organisation of the Islamic Conference summit begins in Lahore, Pakistan. Thirty-seven countries attend and twenty-two heads of state and government participate. It also recognizes Bangladesh.
- 1994Aldrich Ames and his wife are charged by the United States Department of Justice with spying for the Soviet Union.
- 2006At least six men stage Britain’s biggest robbery, stealing £53m (about $92.5 million or 78€ million) from a Securitas depot in Tonbridge, Kent.
- 2011An earthquake measuring 6.3 in magnitude strikes Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 181 people.
Who were born on February 22?
- 1756Georg Friedrich von Martens, German diplomat (d. 1821)
- 1806Józef Kremer, Polish messianistic philosopher (d. 1875)
- 1840August Bebel, German politician (d. 1913)
- 1899Dechko Uzunov, Bulgarian painter (d. 1986)
- 1940Judy Cornwell, English actress
- 1942Christine Keeler, English model and showgirl
- 1948John Ashton, American actor
- 1968Bradley Nowell, American musician (d. 1996)
- 1969Thomas Jane, American actor
- 1981Fredson Camara, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.