February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2016 was the 54th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 303Roman Emperor Diocletian orders the destruction of the Christian church in Nicomedia, beginning eight years of Diocletianic Persecution.
- 1821Alexander Ypsilantis starts the Greek War of Independence in Iași, Wallachia, modern-day Romania.
- 1898Émile Zola is imprisoned in France after writing “J'accuse”, a letter accusing the French government of anti-Semitism and wrongfully imprisoning Captain Alfred Dreyfus.
- 1903Cuba leases Guantánamo Bay to the United States “in perpetuity”.
- 1918First victory of Red Army over the Kaiser’s German troops near Narva and Pskov. In honor of this victory, the date is celebrated from 1923 onward as “Red Army Day”; it is renamed Defender of the Fatherland Day after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, and is colloquially known as “Men’s Day”.
- 1941Plutonium is first produced and isolated by Dr. Glenn T. Seaborg.
- 1942World War II: Japanese submarines fire artillery shells at the California coastline near Santa Barbara.
- 1945World War II: The capital of the Philippines, Manila, is liberated by combined Filipino and American forces.
- 1981In Spain, Antonio Tejero attempts a coup d'état by capturing the Spanish Congress of Deputies.
- 1991Gulf War: Ground troops cross the Saudi Arabian border and enter Iraq, thus beginning the ground phase of the war.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1417Pope Paul II (d. 1471)
- 1901Edgar Ende, German painter (d. 1965)
- 1904William L. Shirer, American historian (d. 1993)
- 1923Miljenko Smoje, Dalmatian writer and journalist (d. 1995)
- 1955Tom Bodett, American voice actor, radio personality, and writer
- 1960Ivan Vdović, also known as VD, Yugoslavian musician (Šarlo Akrobata) (d. 1992)
- 1963Radosław Sikorski, Polish politician
- 1974Leko, American DJ
- 1981Charles Tillman, American football player
- 1983Emily Blunt, British actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.