February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2016 is the 54th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1848The French Revolution of 1848, which would lead to the establishment of the French Second Republic, begins.
- 1861President-elect Abraham Lincoln arrives secretly in Washington, D.C., after the thwarting of an alleged assassination plot in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1883Alabama becomes the first U.S. state to enact an antitrust law.
- 1898Émile Zola is imprisoned in France after writing “J'accuse”, a letter accusing the French government of anti-Semitism and wrongfully imprisoning Captain Alfred Dreyfus.
- 1945World War II: Capitulation of German garrison in Poznań. The city is liberated by Soviet and Polish forces.
- 1945World War II: The capital of the Philippines, Manila, is liberated by combined Filipino and American forces.
- 1955First meeting of the Southeast Asia Treaty Organization (SEATO).
- 1966In Syria, Baath party member Salah Jadid leads an intra-party military coup that replaces the previous government of General Amin Hafiz, also a Baathist.
- 1999An avalanche destroys the Austrian village of Galtür, killing 31.
- 2007A train derails on an evening express service near Grayrigg, Cumbria, England, killing one person and injuring 22. This results in hundreds of points being checked over the UK after a few similar accidents.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1633Samuel Pepys, English naval administrator and man of letters, posthumously famous as a diarist (d. 1703)
- 1908William McMahon, twentieth Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1988)
- 1923Miljenko Smoje, Dalmatian writer and journalist (d. 1995)
- 1924Allan McLeod Cormack, South-African born physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1998)
- 1938Diane Varsi, American actress (d. 1992)
- 1958David Sylvian, English musician (Japan, Nine Horses)
- 1960Ivan Vdović, also known as VD, Yugoslavian musician (Šarlo Akrobata) (d. 1992)
- 1962Michael Wilton, American musician (Queensrÿche)
- 1969Michael Campbell, New Zealand golfer
- 1994Dakota Fanning, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.