February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2015 was the 54th day of the year 2015 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 311 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1778American Revolution: Baron von Steuben arrives at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania to help to train the Continental Army.
- 1846John Henry Newman leaves the Church of England and is received into the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1848The French Revolution of 1848, which would lead to the establishment of the French Second Republic, begins.
- 1854The official independence of the Orange Free State is declared.
- 1883Alabama becomes the first U.S. state to enact an antitrust law.
- 1903Cuba leases Guantánamo Bay to the United States “in perpetuity”.
- 1934Leopold III becomes King of Belgium.
- 1945World War II: The German town of Pforzheim is completely destroyed in a raid by 379 British bombers.
- 1999An avalanche destroys the Austrian village of Galtür, killing 31.
- 2008A United States Air Force B-2 Spirit crashes on Guam. It is the first operational loss of a B-2.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1842Karl Robert Eduard von Hartmann, German philosopher (d. 1906)
- 1915Jon Hall, American actor (d. 1979)
- 1923Mary Francis Shura, American writer (d. 1991)
- 1923Yiannis Grivas, Greek judge, 87th Prime Minister of Greece
- 1938Paul Morrissey, American film director
- 1950Maxi, Irish singer and radio personality
- 1951Ed Jones, American football player
- 1955Flip Saunders, American basketball coach
- 1961Kelly Hansen, American drummer (Summer Lights)
- 1989Evan Bates, American ice dancer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.