February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2016 was the 54th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1820Cato Street Conspiracy: A plot to murder all the British cabinet ministers is exposed.
- 1836The Battle of the Alamo begins in San Antonio, Texas.
- 1847Mexican-American War: Battle of Buena Vista – In Mexico, American troops under General Zachary Taylor defeat Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna.
- 1870In the United States, post-Civil War military control of Mississippi ends and it is readmitted to the Union.
- 1887The French Riviera is hit by a large earthquake, killing around 2,000.
- 1898Émile Zola is imprisoned in France after writing “J'accuse”, a letter accusing the French government of anti-Semitism and wrongfully imprisoning Captain Alfred Dreyfus.
- 1927President Calvin Coolidge signs a bill by Congress establishing the Federal Radio Commission (later replaced by the Federal Communications Commission) which was to regulate the use of radio frequencies in the United States.
- 1966In Syria, Baath party member Salah Jadid leads an intra-party military coup that replaces the previous government of General Amin Hafiz, also a Baathist.
- 1980Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini states that Iran’s parliament will decide the fate of the American embassy hostages.
- 2008A United States Air Force B-2 Spirit crashes on Guam. It is the first operational loss of a B-2.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1646Tokugawa Tsunayoshi, Japanese shogun (d. 1709)
- 1729Josiah Hornblower, American statesman (d. 1809)
- 1852Emperor Duc Duc (pronounced “dzup-duc”), the fifth emperor of the Vietnamese Nguyễn Dynasty (d. 1883)
- 1923Yiannis Grivas, Greek judge, 87th Prime Minister of Greece
- 1938Paul Morrissey, American film director
- 1941Ron Hunt, baseball player
- 1945Allan Boesak, South African activist
- 1971Jeong Chan, South Korean actor
- 1978Jo Joyner, English actress
- 1978René Pérez, Puerto Rican musician (Calle 13)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.