February 23: Day of the Week
February 23, 2016 was the 54th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 312 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1836The Battle of the Alamo begins in San Antonio, Texas.
- 1883Alabama becomes the first U.S. state to enact an antitrust law.
- 1905Chicago attorney Paul Harris and three other businessmen meet for lunch to form the Rotary Club, the world’s first service club.
- 1927President Calvin Coolidge signs a bill by Congress establishing the Federal Radio Commission (later replaced by the Federal Communications Commission) which was to regulate the use of radio frequencies in the United States.
- 1942World War II: Japanese submarines fire artillery shells at the California coastline near Santa Barbara.
- 1945World War II: The capital of the Philippines, Manila, is liberated by combined Filipino and American forces.
- 1987Supernova 1987a is seen in the Large Magellanic Cloud.
- 1991In Thailand, General Sunthorn Kongsompong leads a bloodless coup d'état, deposing Prime Minister Chatichai Choonhavan.
- 1998In the United States, tornadoes in central Florida destroy or damage 2,600 structures and kill 42.
- 1998Osama bin Laden publishes a fatwa declaring jihad against all Jews and “Crusaders”; the latter term is commonly interpreted to refer to the people of Europe and the United States.
Who were born on February 23?
- 1729Josiah Hornblower, American statesman (d. 1809)
- 1852Emperor Duc Duc (pronounced “dzup-duc”), the fifth emperor of the Vietnamese Nguyễn Dynasty (d. 1883)
- 1923Miljenko Smoje, Dalmatian writer and journalist (d. 1995)
- 1938Paul Morrissey, American film director
- 1940Peter Fonda, American actor
- 1950Maxi, Irish singer and radio personality
- 1967Chris Vrenna, American musician, producer and sound engineer Nine Inch Nails, Tweaker
- 1970Marie-Josée Croze, Canadian actress
- 1973Lars-Olof Johansson, Swedish musician (The Cardigans)
- 1994Dakota Fanning, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.