February 5: Day of the Week
February 5, 2016 was the 36th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 330 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1576Henry of Navarre abjures Catholicism at Tours and rejoins the Protestant forces in the French Wars of Religion.
- 1631Roger Williams emigrates to Boston.
- 1778South Carolina becomes the first state to ratify the Articles of Confederation.
- 1810Peninsular War: Siege of Cádiz begins.
- 1852The Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia, one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, opens to the public.
- 1859Wallachia and Moldavia are united under Alexander John Cuza as the United Principalities, an autonomous region within the Ottoman Empire, which ushered the birth of the modern Romanian state.
- 1918SS Tuscania (1914) is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland; it is the first ship carrying American troops to Europe to be torpedoed and sunk.
- 1919Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and D.W. Griffith launch United Artists.
- 1962New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1994During the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina more than 60 people are killed and some 200 wounded as a mortar shell slams into a downtown marketplace in Sarajevo.
Who were born on February 5?
- 1626Marie de Rabutin-Chantal, marquise de Sévigné, French author (d. 1696)
- 1908Peg Entwistle, English actress (d. 1932)
- 1915Robert Hofstadter, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1990)
- 1935Alex Harvey, Scottish rock musician (d. 1982)
- 1948Errol Morris, American film director
- 1952Daniel Balavoine, French singer and songwriter (d. 1986)
- 1953John Beilein, American basketball coach
- 1954Cliff Martinez, American musician
- 1962Jennifer Jason Leigh, American actress
- 1978Brian Russell, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.