February 5: Day of the Week
February 5, 2017 was the 36th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 329 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 5 Historical Event(s)
- 62Earthquake in Pompeii, Italy.
- 1782Spanish defeat British forces and capture Minorca.
- 1810Peninsular War: Siege of Cádiz begins.
- 1818Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte ascends to the thrones of Sweden and Norway.
- 1859Wallachia and Moldavia are united under Alexander John Cuza as the United Principalities, an autonomous region within the Ottoman Empire, which ushered the birth of the modern Romanian state.
- 1869The largest alluvial gold nugget in history, called the “Welcome Stranger”, is found in Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
- 1943New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1972Bob Douglas becomes the first African American elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame.
- 1994During the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina more than 60 people are killed and some 200 wounded as a mortar shell slams into a downtown marketplace in Sarajevo.
- 2004Rebels from the Revolutionary Artibonite Resistance Front capture the city of Gonaïves, starting the 2004 Haiti rebellion.
Who were born on February 5?
- 1519René of Châlon, (d. 1544)
- 1608Gaspar Schott, German mathematician (d. 1666)
- 1703Gilbert Tennent, Irish-born religious leader (d. 1764)
- 1804Johan Ludvig Runeberg, Finnish poet (d. 1877)
- 1908Daisy and Violet Hilton, British conjoined twins (d. 1969)
- 1917Isuzu Yamada, Japanese actress
- 1929Luc Ferrari, French composer (d. 2005)
- 1948Sven-Göran Eriksson, Swedish football manager
- 1966Rok Petrovič, Slovenian skier (d. 1993)
- 1986Carlos Villanueva, Chilean footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.