February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2017 was the 39th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1238The Mongols burn the Russian city of Vladimir.
- 1693The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia is granted a charter by King William III and Queen Mary II.
- 1837Richard Johnson becomes the first Vice President of the United States chosen by the United States Senate.
- 1856Barbu Dimitrie Ştirbei abolishes slavery in Wallachia.
- 1865In the United States, Delaware voters reject the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and vote to continue the practice of slavery. (Delaware finally ratifies the amendment on February 12, 1901.)
- 1921New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1952Elizabeth II is proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom.
- 1960Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom issues an Order-in-Council, stating that she and her family would be known as the House of Windsor, and that her descendants will take the name “Mountbatten-Windsor”.
- 1963Travel, financial and commercial transactions by United States citizens to Cuba are made illegal by the John F. Kennedy administration.
- 1965After taking evasive maneuvers to avoid a mid-air collision immediately after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Eastern Air Lines Flight 663 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean and explodes, killing everyone aboard.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1677Jacques Cassini, French astronomer (d. 1756)
- 1685Charles-Jean-François Hénault, French historian (d. 1770)
- 1720Emperor Sakuramachi of Japan (d. 1750)
- 1804Richard Lemon Lander, British explorer (d. 1834)
- 1888Dame Edith Evans, British actress (d. 1976)
- 1903Aleksander Mitt, Estonian speed skater (d. 1942)
- 1930Alejandro Rey, Argentine actor (d. 1987)
- 1932John Williams, American composer and conductor
- 1948Dan Seals, American singer (d. 2009)
- 1972Paul Wight, American professional wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.