February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2016 was the 39th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 327 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1807Battle of Eylau – Napoleon defeats Russians under General Benigssen.
- 1855The Devil’s Footprints mysteriously appear in southern Devon.
- 1865In the United States, Delaware voters reject the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and vote to continue the practice of slavery. (Delaware finally ratifies the amendment on February 12, 1901.)
- 1879The England cricket team led by Lord Harris is attacked during a riot during a match in Sydney.
- 1946The first portion of the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, the first serious challenge to the popularity of the Authorized King James Version, is published.
- 1960The first eight brass star plaques are installed in the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 1965After taking evasive maneuvers to avoid a mid-air collision immediately after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Eastern Air Lines Flight 663 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean and explodes, killing everyone aboard.
- 1993General Motors sues NBC after Dateline NBC allegedly rigs two crashes intended to demonstrate that some GM pickups can easily catch fire if hit in certain places. NBC settles the lawsuit the next day.
- 2001Disney California Adventure Park opens to the public as part of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.
- 2016New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Monkey in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1720Emperor Sakuramachi of Japan (d. 1750)
- 1866Moses Gomberg, Russian-born American chemist (d. 1947)
- 1928Gene Lees, Canadian biographer and lyricist (d. 2010)
- 1943Creed Bratton, American actor and musician
- 1964Robert Nebřenský, Czech actor and musician
- 1977Bridgette Kerkove, American actress
- 1977Mathieu Turcotte, Canadian short-track speed skater
- 1977Yucef Merhi, Venezuelan artist
- 1979Josh Keaton, American actor and singer
- 1992Carl Jenkinson, English/Finnish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.