February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2016 was the 39th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 327 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1587Mary, Queen of Scots, is executed on suspicion of having been involved in the Babington Plot to murder her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.
- 1817Las Heras crosses the Andes with an army to join San Martín and liberate Chile from Spain.
- 1855The Devil’s Footprints mysteriously appear in southern Devon.
- 1856Barbu Dimitrie Ştirbei abolishes slavery in Wallachia.
- 1922President Warren G. Harding introduces the first radio in the White House.
- 1940New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- 1942World War II: Japan invades Singapore.
- 1969Allende meteorite falls near Pueblito de Allende, Chihuahua, Mexico.
- 1983The Melbourne dust storm hits Australia’s second largest city. The result of the worst drought on record and a day of severe weather conditions, a 320 m deep dust cloud envelops the city, turning day to night.
- 2010A freak storm in the Hindukush mountains of Afghanistan triggers a series of at least 36 avalanches, burying over two miles of road, killing at least 172 people and trapping over 2,000 travellers.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1586Jacob Praetorius, German composer (d. 1651)
- 1820William Tecumseh Sherman, American Union general (d. 1891)
- 1941Tom Rush, American singer and songwriter
- 1969Mary McCormack, American actress
- 1971Andre El Haddad, Lebannon football referee
- 1971Mika Karppinen, Finnish drummer (HIM)
- 1982Danny Tamberelli, American actor
- 1985Thomas Gardner, American basketball player
- 1991Roberto Soriano, Italian footballer
- 1992Carl Jenkinson, English/Finnish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.