February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2017 was the 39th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1587Mary, Queen of Scots, is executed on suspicion of having been involved in the Babington Plot to murder her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.
- 1693The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia is granted a charter by King William III and Queen Mary II.
- 1807Battle of Eylau – Napoleon defeats Russians under General Benigssen.
- 1856Barbu Dimitrie Ştirbei abolishes slavery in Wallachia.
- 1879Sandford Fleming first proposes adoption of Universal Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute.
- 1940New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- 1960Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom issues an Order-in-Council, stating that she and her family would be known as the House of Windsor, and that her descendants will take the name “Mountbatten-Windsor”.
- 1971South Vietnamese ground troops launch an incursion into Laos to try to cut off the Ho Chi Minh trail and stop communist infiltration.
- 1979Denis Sassou-Nguesso becomes the President of the Republic of the Congo for the first time.
- 2001Disney California Adventure Park opens to the public as part of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1552Agrippa d'Aubigné, French poet and soldier (d. 1630)
- 1903Greta Keller, Austrian-born cabaret singer and actress (d. 1977)
- 1913Betty Field, American actress (d. 1973)
- 1925Jack Lemmon, American actor and film director (d. 2001)
- 1940Ted Koppel, American journalist
- 1966Ulrich Hesse-Lichtenberger, German author
- 1976Adam Piatt, American baseball player
- 1977Mathieu Turcotte, Canadian short-track speed skater
- 1982Sousuke Takaoka, Japanese actor
- 1994Nikki Yanofsky, Canadian artist and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.