February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2017 was the 39th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1601Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, rebels against Queen Elizabeth I – the revolt is quickly crushed.
- 1726The Supreme Privy Council is established in Russia.
- 1855The Devil’s Footprints mysteriously appear in southern Devon.
- 1856Barbu Dimitrie Ştirbei abolishes slavery in Wallachia.
- 1924Capital punishment: The first state execution in the United States by gas chamber takes place in Nevada.
- 1940New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- 1960The first eight brass star plaques are installed in the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 1963Travel, financial and commercial transactions by United States citizens to Cuba are made illegal by the John F. Kennedy administration.
- 1978Proceedings of the United States Senate are broadcast on radio for the first time.
- 1979Denis Sassou-Nguesso becomes the President of the Republic of the Congo for the first time.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1700Daniel Bernoulli, Dutch-born mathematician (d. 1782)
- 1847Hugh Price Hughes, English social reformer (d. 1902)
- 1866Moses Gomberg, Russian-born American chemist (d. 1947)
- 1882Thomas Etholen Selfridge, American military officer and airplane crash victim (d. 1908)
- 1886Charles Ruggles, American actor (d. 1970)
- 1900Ivan Ivanov-Vano Soviet animator and Russian animation director (d. 1987)
- 1933Elly Ameling, Dutch soprano
- 1963Joshua Kadison, American pianist and songwriter
- 1979Aaron Cook, American baseball player
- 1981Myriam Montemayor Cruz, Mexican singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.