February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2016 was the 39th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 327 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1575Universiteit Leiden is founded, and given the motto Praesidium Libertatis.
- 1601Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, rebels against Queen Elizabeth I – the revolt is quickly crushed.
- 1807Battle of Eylau – Napoleon defeats Russians under General Benigssen.
- 1915D.W. Griffith’s controversial film The Birth of a Nation premieres in Los Angeles.
- 1922President Warren G. Harding introduces the first radio in the White House.
- 1949Cardinal Mindszenty of Hungary is sentenced for treason.
- 1963The regime of Prime Minister of Iraq, Brigadier General Abdul-Karim Qassem is overthrown by the Ba'ath Party.
- 1989An Independent Air Boeing 707 crashes into Santa Maria mountain in the Azores, killing 144.
- 2010A freak storm in the Hindukush mountains of Afghanistan triggers a series of at least 36 avalanches, burying over two miles of road, killing at least 172 people and trapping over 2,000 travellers.
- 2035New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1886Charles Ruggles, American actor (d. 1970)
- 1931James Dean, American actor (d. 1955)
- 1939José Maria Sison, Filipino communist
- 1968Claudette Pace, Maltese singer
- 1974Kimbo Slice, American mixed martial artist
- 1977Mathieu Turcotte, Canadian short-track speed skater
- 1984Panagiotis Vasilopoulos, Greek basketball player
- 1985Ben Anderson, New Zealand basketball player
- 1985Thomas Gardner, American basketball player
- 1987Carolina Kostner, Italian figure skater
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.