February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2017 is the 39th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 421Constantius III becomes co-Emperor of the Western Roman Empire.
- 1837Richard Johnson becomes the first Vice President of the United States chosen by the United States Senate.
- 1855The Devil’s Footprints mysteriously appear in southern Devon.
- 1887The Dawes Act authorizes the President of the United States to survey Native American tribal land and divide it into individual allotments.
- 1902New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1952Elizabeth II is proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom.
- 1962Charonne massacre. Nine trade unionists are killed by French police at the instigation of Nazi collaborator Maurice Papon, then chief of the Paris Prefecture of Police.
- 1963Travel, financial and commercial transactions by United States citizens to Cuba are made illegal by the John F. Kennedy administration.
- 1968American civil rights movement: The Orangeburg massacre: An attack on black students from South Carolina State University who are protesting racial segregation at the town’s only bowling alley, leaves three or four dead in Orangeburg, South Carolina.
- 2001Disney California Adventure Park opens to the public as part of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1586Jacob Praetorius, German composer (d. 1651)
- 1894Ludwig Marcuse, German author and philosopher (d. 1971)
- 1900Ivan Ivanov-Vano Soviet animator and Russian animation director (d. 1987)
- 1903Aleksander Mitt, Estonian speed skater (d. 1942)
- 1942Terry Melcher, American musician and record producer (d. 2004)
- 1948Lynda Lyon Block, American convicted murderer (d. 2002)
- 1974Kimbo Slice, American mixed martial artist
- 1990Tran Thuy Dzung, Miss Vietnam 2008
- 1992Carl Jenkinson, English/Finnish footballer
- 1998Šarlote Lēnmane, Latvian singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.