February 8: Day of the Week
February 8, 2016 was the 39th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 327 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1807Battle of Eylau – Napoleon defeats Russians under General Benigssen.
- 1817Las Heras crosses the Andes with an army to join San Martín and liberate Chile from Spain.
- 1855The Devil’s Footprints mysteriously appear in southern Devon.
- 1879Sandford Fleming first proposes adoption of Universal Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute.
- 1887The Dawes Act authorizes the President of the United States to survey Native American tribal land and divide it into individual allotments.
- 1921New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- 1948The formal creation of the Korean People’s Army of North Korea is announced.
- 1963The regime of Prime Minister of Iraq, Brigadier General Abdul-Karim Qassem is overthrown by the Ba'ath Party.
- 1993General Motors sues NBC after Dateline NBC allegedly rigs two crashes intended to demonstrate that some GM pickups can easily catch fire if hit in certain places. NBC settles the lawsuit the next day.
- 2010A freak storm in the Hindukush mountains of Afghanistan triggers a series of at least 36 avalanches, burying over two miles of road, killing at least 172 people and trapping over 2,000 travellers.
Who were born on February 8?
- 1191Yaroslav II of Russia (d. 1246)
- 1291King Afonso IV of Portugal (d. 1357)
- 1804Richard Lemon Lander, British explorer (d. 1834)
- 1850Kate Chopin, American author (d. 1904)
- 1886Charles Ruggles, American actor (d. 1970)
- 1906Chester Carlson, American physicist and inventor (d. 1968)
- 1931James Dean, American actor (d. 1955)
- 1943Pirzada Qasim, Pakistani poet and academic
- 1964Robert Nebřenský, Czech actor and musician
- 1971Mika Karppinen, Finnish drummer (HIM)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.