February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2017 was the 40th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1885The first Japanese government-approved immigrants arrive in Hawaii.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1913A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 1920Under the terms of the Spitsbergen Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1951Geochang massacre: Korean War
- 1959The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
- 1971Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1846Whitaker Wright, English mining tycoon (d. 1904)
- 1891Ronald Colman, English actor (d. 1958)
- 1937Tomislav Gotovac, Croatian movie director, actor, performer, multimedia and conceptual artist (d. 2010.)
- 1943Joe Pesci, American actor
- 1947Reinhard Adler, German footballer
- 1965Igor Malkov, Russian speedskater
- 1970Glenn McGrath, Australian cricketer
- 1972Darren Ferguson, Scottish footballer
- 1979Irina Slutskaya, Russian figure skater
- 1987Davide Lanzafame, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.