February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 was the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1885The first Japanese government-approved immigrants arrive in Hawaii.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1942World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
- 1943World War II: Allied authorities declare Guadalcanal secure after Imperial Japan evacuates its remaining forces from the island, ending the Battle of Guadalcanal.
- 1964The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a “record-busting” audience of 73 million viewers.
- 1991Voters in Lithuania vote for independence.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1902Gertrud Scholtz-Klink, German women’s leader (d. 1999)
- 1940J. M. Coetzee, South African author, Nobel laureate
- 1944Alice Walker, American writer
- 1954Kevin Warwick, cyborg scientist
- 1957Gordon Strachan, Scottish football player and manager
- 1958Cyrille Regis, English former footballer
- 1968Alejandra Guzmán, Mexican singer
- 1969Tom Scharpling, American radio-host
- 1975Viktor Chistiakov, Russian-born Australian athlete
- 1987Davide Lanzafame, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.