February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 was the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1555Bishop of Gloucester John Hooper is burned at the stake.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1885The first Japanese government-approved immigrants arrive in Hawaii.
- 1942Year-round Daylight saving time is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
- 1959The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
- 1964The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a “record-busting” audience of 73 million viewers.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1969First test flight of the Boeing 747.
- 1973Biju Patnaik of the Pragati Legislature Party is elected leader of the opposition in the state assembly in Orissa, India.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1937Tomislav Gotovac, Croatian movie director, actor, performer, multimedia and conceptual artist (d. 2010.)
- 1946Jim Webb, American politician, senior senator of Virginia
- 1954Mary Jo Duffy, American comic book writer and editor
- 1960Holly Johnson, British singer (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
- 1968Alejandra Guzmán, Mexican singer
- 1968Derek Strong, American basketball player
- 1971Sharon Case, American actress
- 1983Mikel Arruabarrena, Spanish footballer
- 1984Han Kyung, Chinese pop artist/Korean singer Super Junior
- 1990Tyson Houseman, Canadian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.