February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 was the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1849New Roman Republic established
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1943World War II: Allied authorities declare Guadalcanal secure after Imperial Japan evacuates its remaining forces from the island, ending the Battle of Guadalcanal.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1971The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1763Ludwig I, Grand Duke of Baden (d. 1830)
- 1919John Abramovic, American basketball player (d. 2000)
- 1928Rinus Michels, Dutch football coach (d. 2005)
- 1932Tatsuro Hirooka, Japanese baseball player
- 1946Eamon Duffy, Irish academic, Cambridge University
- 1960Holly Johnson, British singer (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
- 1972Norbert Rózsa, Hungarian swimmer
- 1974John Wallace, American basketball player
- 1976Charlie Day, American actor
- 1985David Gallagher, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.