February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 was the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1555Bishop of Gloucester John Hooper is burned at the stake.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1904Russo–Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1971Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1971The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1645Johann Aegidius Bach, German violist (d. 1716)
- 1893Georgios Athanasiadis-Novas, Greek lawyer, politician and Prime Minister (d. 1987)
- 1930Garner Ted Armstrong, American evangelist (d. 2003)
- 1945Gérard Lenorman, French singer
- 1946Jim Webb, American politician, senior senator of Virginia
- 1950Richard F. Colburn, American politician
- 1962Anik Bissonnette, French-Canadian ballet dancer (Les Grands Ballets Canadiens)
- 1979Irina Slutskaya, Russian figure skater
- 1984Maurice Ager, American basketball player
- 1989Wu Chia-ching, Taiwanese pool player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.