February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2017 was the 40th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1913A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 1920Under the terms of the Spitsbergen Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1942World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1975The Soyuz 17 Soviet spacecraft returns to Earth.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1867Natsume Sōseki, Japanese novelist. (d. 1916)
- 1871Howard Taylor Ricketts, American bacteriologist. (d. 1910)
- 1885Alban Berg, Austrian composer (d. 1935)
- 1895Hermann Brill, German politician (d. 1959)
- 1901Brian Donlevy, Irish actor (d. 1972)
- 1916Tex Hughson, American baseball player (d. 1993)
- 1947Joe Ely, American musician
- 1967Todd Pratt, American baseball player
- 1975Viktor Chistiakov, Russian-born Australian athlete
- 1987Davide Lanzafame, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.