February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 was the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1920Under the terms of the Spitsbergen Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States combat troops are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1975The Soyuz 17 Soviet spacecraft returns to Earth.
- 1995Space Shuttle astronauts Bernard A. Harris, Jr. and Michael Foale become the first African American and first Briton, respectively, to perform spacewalks.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1645Johann Aegidius Bach, German violist (d. 1716)
- 1939Janet Suzman, South African actress
- 1941Sheila Kuehl, American actress
- 1943Jonny Nilsson, Swedish speedskater
- 1946Vince Papale, American football player
- 1947Reinhard Adler, German footballer
- 1967Todd Pratt, American baseball player
- 1974John Wallace, American basketball player
- 1975Clinton Grybas, Australian football commentator (d. 2008)
- 1981Joël Camathias, Swiss racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.