February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2017 was the 40th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1900The Davis Cup competition is established.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1951Geochang massacre: Korean War
- 1996The Provisional Irish Republican Army declares the end to its 18 month ceasefire and explodes a large bomb in London’s Canary Wharf.
- 2001The American submarine USS Greeneville accidentally strikes and sinks the Ehime-Maru, a Japanese training vessel operated by the Uwajima Fishery High School.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1775Farkas Bolyai, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1856)
- 1789Franz Xaver Gabelsberger, German inventor of the stenography (d. 1849)
- 1922Jim Laker, English cricketer (d. 1986)
- 1943Joe Pesci, American actor
- 1946Séan Neeson, Northern Irish politician
- 1966Ellen van Langen, Dutch athlete
- 1970Glenn McGrath, Australian cricketer
- 1972Crispin Freeman, American voice actor
- 1981Joël Camathias, Swiss racing driver
- 1990Tyson Houseman, Canadian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.