February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 was the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1870President Ulysses S. Grant signs a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau.
- 1889President Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1904Russo–Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1942World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1991Voters in Lithuania vote for independence.
- 1995Space Shuttle astronauts Bernard A. Harris, Jr. and Michael Foale become the first African American and first Briton, respectively, to perform spacewalks.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1880Lipót Fejér, Hungarian mathematician (d. 1959)
- 1909Harald Genzmer, German composer (d. 2007)
- 1909Heather Angel, British actress (d. 1986)
- 1911William Darby, American World War II Army officer (d. 1945)
- 1933Loris Azzaro, French fashion designer (d. 2003)
- 1940Brian Bennett, British musician (The Shadows)
- 1943Jonny Nilsson, Swedish speedskater
- 1967Todd Pratt, American baseball player
- 1974Erra Fazira, Malaysian actress and beauty queen
- 1980Angelos Charisteas, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.