February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2017 was the 40th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 325 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1913A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 1920Under the terms of the Spitsbergen Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1942Year-round Daylight saving time is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1959The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States combat troops are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1975The Soyuz 17 Soviet spacecraft returns to Earth.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1839Silas Adams, American lawyer and politician (d. 1896)
- 1871Howard Taylor Ricketts, American bacteriologist. (d. 1910)
- 1922Jim Laker, English cricketer (d. 1986)
- 1939Janet Suzman, South African actress
- 1943Jonny Nilsson, Swedish speedskater
- 1945Mia Farrow, American actress
- 1960Peggy Whitson, NASA astronaut
- 1968Derek Strong, American basketball player
- 1974Amber Valletta, American model
- 1989Wu Chia-ching, Taiwanese pool player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.