February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 is the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1870President Ulysses S. Grant signs a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau.
- 1904Russo–Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1967New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1969First test flight of the Boeing 747.
- 1971Apollo program: Apollo 14 returns to Earth after the third manned moon landing.
- 1971Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1973Biju Patnaik of the Pragati Legislature Party is elected leader of the opposition in the state assembly in Orissa, India.
- 1995Space Shuttle astronauts Bernard A. Harris, Jr. and Michael Foale become the first African American and first Briton, respectively, to perform spacewalks.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1783Vasily Zhukovsky, Russian poet (d. 1852)
- 1928Frank Frazetta, American illustrator (d. 2010)
- 1946Vince Papale, American football player
- 1961John Kruk, American baseball player
- 1963Brian Greene, American physicist
- 1975Kurt Asle Arvesen, Norwegian cyclist
- 1976Charlie Day, American actor
- 1979Irina Slutskaya, Russian figure skater
- 1985Rachel Melvin, American actress
- 1986Princess Raiyah bint Al Hussein, of Jordan
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.