February 9: Day of the Week
February 9, 2016 was the 40th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 326 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the February calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Amethyst is the modern birthstone for this month. Bloodstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
February 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1825After no presidential candidate receives a majority of electoral votes in the election of 1824, the United States House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams President of the United States.
- 1913A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1943World War II: Allied authorities declare Guadalcanal secure after Imperial Japan evacuates its remaining forces from the island, ending the Battle of Guadalcanal.
- 1951Geochang massacre: Korean War
- 1964The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a “record-busting” audience of 73 million viewers.
- 1971Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 1991Voters in Lithuania vote for independence.
- 2001The American submarine USS Greeneville accidentally strikes and sinks the Ehime-Maru, a Japanese training vessel operated by the Uwajima Fishery High School.
- 2005New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on February 9?
- 1533Shimazu Yoshihisa, Japanese samurai (d. 1611)
- 1747John Thomas Duckworth, Royal Navy admiral (d. 1817)
- 1783Vasily Zhukovsky, Russian poet (d. 1852)
- 1846Wilhelm Maybach, German automotive designer (d. 1929)
- 1874Amy Lowell, American poet (d. 1925)
- 1901James Murray, American actor (d. 1936)
- 1909Carmen Miranda, Brazilian actress (d. 1955)
- 1922Jim Laker, English cricketer (d. 1986)
- 1934John Ziegler, former NHL Commissioner
- 1961John Kruk, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.