January 1: Day of the Week
January 1, 2017 was the 1st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 364 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get the Star Lovers Report and discover the secrets of a better relationship. Start to seize love opportunities in your life. Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention you can get a F-R-E-E sample? (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 1: This Day in History
The preceding day is December 31 of the previous year.
During the Middle Ages under the influence of the Christian Church, many countries moved the start of the year to one of several important Christian festivals — December 25 (the Nativity of Jesus), March 1, March 25 (the Annunciation), or even Easter. Eastern European countries (most of them with populations showing allegiance to the Orthodox Church) began their numbered year on September 1 from about 988.
In England, January 1 was celebrated as the New Year festival, but from the 12th century to 1752 the year in England began on March 25 (Lady Day). So, for example, the Parliamentary record records the execution of Charles I occurring in 1648 (as the year did not end until March 24), although modern histories adjust the start of the year to January 1 and record the execution as occurring in 1649.
Most western European countries changed the start of the year to January 1 before they adopted the Gregorian calendar. For example, Scotland changed the start of the Scottish New Year to January 1 in 1600. England, Ireland and the British colonies changed the start of the year to January 1 in 1752. Later that year in September, the Gregorian calendar was introduced throughout Britain and the British colonies. These two reforms were implemented by the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750.
January 1 became the official start of the year as follows:
- 1522 The Republic of Venice
- 1544 Holy Roman Empire (Germany)
- 1556 Spain, Portugal
- 1559 Prussia, Sweden
- 1564 France
- 1576 Southern Netherlands
- 1579 Lorraine
- 1583 United Provinces of the Netherlands (northern)
- 1600 Scotland
- 1700 Russia
- 1721 Tuscany
- 1752 Great Britain (excluding Scotland) and its colonies
January 1 Historical Event(s)
- 45 BCThe Julian calendar takes effect for the first time.
- 1600Scotland begins its numbered year on January 1 instead of March 25.
- 1806The French Republican Calendar is abolished.
- 1885Twenty-five nations adopt Sandford Fleming’s proposal for standard time (and also, time zones)
- 1894The Manchester Ship Canal, England, is officially opened to traffic.
- 1899Spanish rule ends in Cuba.
- 1910Captain David Beatty is promoted to Rear Admiral, and becomes the youngest admiral in the Royal Navy (except for Royal family members), since Horatio Nelson.
- 1948The British railway network is nationalised to form British Railways.
- 1957An Irish Republican Army (IRA) unit attacks Brookeborough RUC barracks in one of the most famous incidents of the IRA’s Operation Harvest.
- 2007Adam Air Flight 574 disappears over Indonesia with 102 people on board.
Who were born on January 1?
- 1618Bartolomé Estéban Murillo, Spanish painter (baptism) (d. 1682)
- 1814Hong Xiuquan, Chinese rebel (d. 1864)
- 1906Giovanni D'Anzi, Italian songwriter (d. 1974)
- 1930Jean-Pierre Duprey, French poet and sculptor (d. 1959)
- 1974Eva Birthistle, Irish actress
- 1979Brody Dalle, Australian singer (The Distillers)
- 1983Emi Kobayashi, Japanese model
- 1983Park Sung-Hyun, South Korean Olympic archer
- 1983Thomas Morrison, English actor
- 1984José Paolo Guerrero, Peruvian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.