January 10: Day of the Week
January 10, 2017 was the 10th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 355 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 10 Historical Event(s)
- 1072Robert Guiscard conquers Palermo.
- 1645Archbishop William Laud is beheaded at the Tower of London.
- 1861American Civil War: Florida secedes from the Union.
- 1946The United States Army Signal Corps successfully conducts Project Diana, bouncing radio waves off the moon and receiving the reflected signals.
- 1946The first General Assembly of the United Nations opens in London. Fifty-one nations are represented.
- 1981Salvadoran Civil War: The FMLN launches its first major offensive, gaining control of most of Morazán and Chalatenango departments
- 1985Sandinista Daniel Ortega becomes president of Nicaragua and vows to continue the transformation to socialism and alliance with the Soviet Union and Cuba; American policy continues to support the Contras in their revolt against the Nicaraguan government.
- 1990Time Warner is formed from the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications Inc.
- 2005A mudslide occurs in La Conchita, California, killing 10 people, injuring many more and closing U.S. Route 101, the main coastal corridor between San Francisco and Los Angeles, for 10 days.
- 20112010–2011 Queensland floods: Torrential rain in the Lockyer Valley region of South East Queensland, Australia causes severe flash flooding, killing 9 people.
Who were born on January 10?
- 1480Margaret of Austria, Regent of the Netherlands (d. 1530)
- 1573Simon Marius, German astronomer (d. 1624)
- 1628George Villiers, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, English statesman (d. 1687)
- 1853Jessie Bond, English singer and actress (d. 1942)
- 1926Musallam Bseiso, Palestinian journalist and politician
- 1943Jim Croce, American singer (d. 1973)
- 1944William Sanderson, American actor
- 1967Jeremy Cumpston, Australian actor
- 1967Maciej Śliwowski, Polish footballer
- 1981Brian Joo, American-born Korean singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.