January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2017 was the 11th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 354 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1569First recorded lottery in England.
- 1759In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance company is incorporated.
- 1779Ching-Thang Khomba is crowned King of Manipur.
- 1794Robert Forsythe, a U.S. Marshal is killed in Augusta, Georgia when trying to serve court papers, the first US marshal to die while carrying out his duties.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Arkansas Post – General John McClernand and Admiral David Dixon Porter capture the Arkansas River for the Union.
- 1943Italian-American Anarchist Carlo Tresca is assassinated in New York
- 1949First recorded case of snowfall in Los Angeles, California.
- 1957The African Convention is founded in Dakar.
- 1962An avalanche on Huascaran in Peru causes 4,000 deaths.
- 1998Sidi-Hamed massacre takes place in Algeria, over 100 people are killed.
Who were born on January 11?
- 1788William Thomas Brande, English chemist (d. 1866)
- 1850Joseph Charles Arthur, American botanist (d. 1942)
- 1858Harry Gordon Selfridge, American retailer (d. 1947)
- 1917John Robarts, Canadian politician (d. 1982)
- 1924Don Cherry, American singer and golfer
- 1925Grant Tinker, American television executive
- 1962Kim Coles, American actress
- 1969Manny Acta, Dominican baseball player
- 1974Cody McKay, Canadian baseball player
- 1975Dan Luger, English rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.