January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2017 was the 11th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 354 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1569First recorded lottery in England.
- 1693Mt. Etna erupts in Sicily, Italy. A powerful earthquake destroys parts of Sicily and Malta.
- 1838Samuel Morse first successfully tests the electrical telegraph.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Arkansas Post – General John McClernand and Admiral David Dixon Porter capture the Arkansas River for the Union.
- 1943Italian-American Anarchist Carlo Tresca is assassinated in New York
- 1949First recorded case of snowfall in Los Angeles, California.
- 1960Henry Lee Lucas, once listed as America’s most prolific serial killer, commits his first known murder.
- 1986The Gateway Bridge, Brisbane in Queensland, Australia is officially opened.
- 1994The Irish Government announces the end of a 15-year broadcasting ban on the IRA and its political arm Sinn Féin.
- 1998Sidi-Hamed massacre takes place in Algeria, over 100 people are killed.
Who were born on January 11?
- 1322Emperor Komyo of Japan (d. 1380)
- 1755Alexander Hamilton, Nevis born American Founding Father, economist, and political philosopher; 1st United States Secretary of the Treasury (d. 1804)
- 1872George Washington Pierce, American physicist (d. 1956)
- 1890Oswald de Andrade, Brazilian author (d. 1954)
- 1906Albert Hofmann, Swiss chemist (d. 2008)
- 1924Don Cherry, American singer and golfer
- 1925Grant Tinker, American television executive
- 1942George Mira, American Football Player
- 1948Terry Williams, Welsh rock drummer (Dire Straits)
- 1988Fuska, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.