January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2017 was the 11th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 354 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 630Muhammad leads an army of 10,000 to conquer Mecca.
- 1571Austrian nobility is granted freedom of religion.
- 1759In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance company is incorporated.
- 1863American Civil War: ship CSS encountered and sank the USS Hatteras off Galveston Lighthouse in Texas.
- 1879The Anglo-Zulu War begins.
- 1908Grand Canyon National Monument is created.
- 1922First use of insulin to treat diabetes in a human patient.
- 1943World War II: The United States and United Kingdom give up territorial rights in China.
- 1972East Pakistan renames itself Bangladesh.
- 1986The Gateway Bridge, Brisbane in Queensland, Australia is officially opened.
Who were born on January 11?
- 1591Robert Devereux, 3rd Earl of Essex, English Civil War general (d. 1646)
- 1800Ányos Jedlik, Hungarian physicist (d. 1895)
- 1868Cai Yuanpei, Chinese educator (d. 1940)
- 1887Aldo Leopold, American ecologist (d. 1948)
- 1925Grant Tinker, American television executive
- 1930Ron Mulock, Australian politician
- 1938Vladimir Krpan, Croatian pianist
- 1963Dean Reynolds, English snooker player
- 1966Kelley Law, Canadian curler
- 1985Kazuki Nakajima, Japanese racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.