January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2017 was the 11th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 354 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1787William Herschel discovers Titania and Oberon, two moons of Uranus.
- 1794Robert Forsythe, a U.S. Marshal is killed in Augusta, Georgia when trying to serve court papers, the first US marshal to die while carrying out his duties.
- 1805The Michigan Territory is created.
- 1908Grand Canyon National Monument is created.
- 1917The Kingsland munitions factory explosion occurs as a result of sabotage.
- 1942World War II: Japan declares war on the Netherlands and invades the Netherlands East Indies.
- 1949First recorded case of snowfall in Los Angeles, California.
- 1949The first “networked” television broadcasts take place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and mid-west programming.
- 1972East Pakistan renames itself Bangladesh.
- 1994The Irish Government announces the end of a 15-year broadcasting ban on the IRA and its political arm Sinn Féin.
Who were born on January 11?
- 889Abd-ar-Rahman III, Emir and Caliph of Cordoba (d. 961)
- 1924Roger Guillemin, French neuroendocrinologist, Nobel laureate
- 1935Ghita Nørby, Danish actress
- 1946John Piper, American theologian
- 1961Jasper Fforde, British author
- 1975Dan Luger, English rugby player
- 1979Darren Lynn Bousman, American film director
- 1980Lovieanne Jung, American softball player
- 1985Kazuki Nakajima, Japanese racing driver
- 1987Daniel Semenzato, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.