January 11: Day of the Week
January 11, 2017 was the 11th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 354 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1693Mt. Etna erupts in Sicily, Italy. A powerful earthquake destroys parts of Sicily and Malta.
- 1759In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance company is incorporated.
- 1838Samuel Morse first successfully tests the electrical telegraph.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Arkansas Post – General John McClernand and Admiral David Dixon Porter capture the Arkansas River for the Union.
- 1927Louis B. Mayer, head of film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), announced the creation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences at a banquet in Los Angeles, California.
- 1935Amelia Earhart is the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
- 1943Italian-American Anarchist Carlo Tresca is assassinated in New York
- 1949First recorded case of snowfall in Los Angeles, California.
- 1964United States Surgeon General Dr. Luther Leonidas Terry, M.D., publishes a landmark report saying that smoking may be hazardous to health, sparking nation- and worldwide anti-smoking efforts.
- 1972East Pakistan renames itself Bangladesh.
Who were born on January 11?
- 1858Harry Gordon Selfridge, American retailer (d. 1947)
- 1897August Heissmeyer, German SS officer (d. 1979)
- 1932Alfonso Arau, Mexican film director
- 1944Mohammed Abed Elhai, Sudanese writer and academic (d. 1989)
- 1949Chris Ford, American basketball player and coach
- 1952Ben Crenshaw, American golfer
- 1977Anni Friesinger-Postma, German speed skater
- 1980Lovieanne Jung, American softball player
- 1984Kevin Boss, American football player
- 1985Aaron Porter, British politician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.