January 12: Day of the Week
January 12, 2017 was the 12th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 353 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1773The first public Colonial American museum opens in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1777Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California.
- 1808The organizational meeting that led to the creation of the Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is held in Edinburgh.
- 1848The Palermo rising takes place in Sicily against the Bourbon kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
- 1898Ito Hirobumi begins his third term as Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1926Original Sam ‘n’Henry aired on Chicago radio later renamed Amos ‘n’Andy in 1928.
- 1932Hattie W. Caraway becomes the first woman elected to the United States Senate.
- 1970Biafra capitulates, ending the Nigerian civil war.
- 2005Deep Impact launches from Cape Canaveral on a Delta 2 rocket.
- 2006The French warship Clemenceau reaches Egypt and is barred access to the Suez Canal. Greenpeace activists board the ship.
Who were born on January 12?
- 1810King Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies (d. 1859)
- 1856John Singer Sargent, American artist (d. 1925)
- 1893Alfred Rosenberg, German Nazi official (d. 1946)
- 1916Jay McShann, American musician (d. 2006)
- 1928Lloyd Ruby, American race car driver (d. 2009)
- 1929Alasdair MacIntyre, Scottish-born American philosopher
- 1947Tom Dempsey, American football player
- 1950Bob McEwen, American politician
- 1972Jason Sklar, American comedian
- 1982Sherzod Abdurahmonov, Uzbek boxer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.