January 13: Day of the Week
January 13, 2017 was the 13th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 352 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 13: This Day in History
It is still celebrated as New Year’s Eve (at least in the 20th & 21st centuries) by countries still using the thirteen-day-slower Julian calendar (Old New Year).
January 13 Historical Event(s)
- 888Odo, Count of Paris becomes King of the Franks.
- 1328Edward III of England marries Philippa of Hainault, daughter of the Count of Hainault.
- 1435Sicut Dudum is promulgated by Pope Eugene IV about the enslaving of black natives in Canary Islands by Spanish natives.
- 1832President Andrew Jackson writes to Vice President Martin Van Buren expressing his opposition to South Carolina’s defiance of federal authority in the Nullification Crisis.
- 1840The steamship Lexington burns and sinks four miles off the coast of Long Island with the loss of 139 lives.
- 1939The Black Friday bush fires burn 20,000 square kilometres of land in Australia, claiming the lives of 71 people.
- 1942World War II: First use of aircraft ejection seat by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter.
- 1964Karol Wojtyla, the future Pope John Paul II, is appointed archbishop of Krakow, Poland.
- 1974Seraphim is elected Archbishop of Athens and All Greece.
- 1986A month-long violent struggle begins in Aden, South Yemen between supporters of Ali Nasir Muhammad and Abdul Fattah Ismail, resulting in thousands of casualties.
Who were born on January 13?
- 1812Victor de Laprade, French poet and critic (d. 1883)
- 1878Lionel Groulx, Canadian nationalist (d. 1967)
- 1885Alfred Fuller, Canadian businessman, The “Fuller Brush Man” (d. 1973)
- 1886Art Ross, Canadian ice hockey player and executive (d. 1964)
- 1893Clark Ashton Smith, American writer (d. 1961)
- 1927Sydney Brenner, British Nobel Laureate
- 1957Mark O'Meara, Major winning American Golfer
- 1964Ronan Rafferty, Northern Irish golfer
- 1968Traci Bingham, American actress
- 1980Nils-Eric Johansson, Swedish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.