January 13: Day of the Week
January 13, 2017 was the 13th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 352 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 13: This Day in History
It is still celebrated as New Year’s Eve (at least in the 20th & 21st centuries) by countries still using the thirteen-day-slower Julian calendar (Old New Year).
January 13 Historical Event(s)
- 1733James Oglethorpe and 130 colonists arrive in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1785John Walter publishes the first issue of the Daily Universal Register (later renamed The Times).
- 1842Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for being the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad.
- 1847The Treaty of Cahuenga ends the Mexican-American War in California.
- 1869National convention of black leaders meets in Washington D.C.
- 1893U.S. Marines land in Honolulu from the USS Boston to prevent the queen from abrogating the Bayonet Constitution.
- 1934The Candidate of Science degree is established in the USSR.
- 1951First Indochina War: The Battle of Vinh Yen begins, which will end in a major victory for France.
- 1964Anti-Muslim riots break out in Calcutta – resulting in 100 deaths.
- 1986A month-long violent struggle begins in Aden, South Yemen between supporters of Ali Nasir Muhammad and Abdul Fattah Ismail, resulting in thousands of casualties.
Who were born on January 13?
- 1777Elisa Bonaparte, Grand Duchess of Tuscany, sister of Napoleon Bonaparte (d. 1820)
- 1805Thomas Dyer, Mayor of Chicago (d. 1862)
- 1913Jeff Morrow, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1943Richard Moll, American actor
- 1955Jay McInerney, American writer
- 1957Mark O'Meara, Major winning American Golfer
- 1962Trace Adkins, American country music singer-songwriter
- 1971Phil Whyman, English paranormal researcher, television personality, writer and musician
- 1980Michael Rupp, American ice hockey player
- 1995Qaasim Middleton, American musician and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.