January 13: Day of the Week
January 13, 2017 was the 13th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 352 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 13: This Day in History
It is still celebrated as New Year’s Eve (at least in the 20th & 21st centuries) by countries still using the thirteen-day-slower Julian calendar (Old New Year).
January 13 Historical Event(s)
- 1797French Revolutionary Wars: A naval battle between a French ship of the line and two British frigates off the coast of Brittany ends with the French vessel running ashore, resulting in the death of over 900.
- 1832President Andrew Jackson writes to Vice President Martin Van Buren expressing his opposition to South Carolina’s defiance of federal authority in the Nullification Crisis.
- 1934The Candidate of Science degree is established in the USSR.
- 1935A plebiscite in Saarland shows that 90.3% of those voting wish to join Nazi Germany.
- 1942World War II: First use of aircraft ejection seat by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter.
- 1964Anti-Muslim riots break out in Calcutta – resulting in 100 deaths.
- 1966Robert C. Weaver becomes the first African American Cabinet member by being appointed United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
- 1974Seraphim is elected Archbishop of Athens and All Greece.
- 1982Shortly after takeoff, Air Florida Flight 90, a Boeing 737 jet crashes into Washington, DC’s 14th Street Bridge and falls into the Potomac River, killing 78 including four motorists.
- 1990L. Douglas Wilder becomes the first elected African American governor as he takes office in Richmond, Virginia.
Who were born on January 13?
- 1505Joachim II Hector, Elector of Brandenburg (d. 1571)
- 1562Mark Alexander Boyd, Scottish poet (d. 1601)
- 1901A. B. Guthrie, American novelist, historian (d. 1991)
- 1947Jacek Majchrowski, Mayor of Kraków
- 1962Trace Adkins, American country music singer-songwriter
- 1970Keith Coogan, American actor
- 1970Marco Pantani, Italian cyclist (d. 2004)
- 1978Ashmit Patel, Indian actor
- 1985Qi Hui, Chinese swimmer
- 1987Lee Seung Gi, South Korean singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.