January 13: Day of the Week
January 13, 2017 was the 13th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 352 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 13: This Day in History
It is still celebrated as New Year’s Eve (at least in the 20th & 21st centuries) by countries still using the thirteen-day-slower Julian calendar (Old New Year).
January 13 Historical Event(s)
- 532Nika riots in Constantinople.
- 888Odo, Count of Paris becomes King of the Franks.
- 1605The controversial play Eastward Hoe by Ben Jonson, George Chapman, and John Marston is performed, landing two of the authors in prison.
- 1869National convention of black leaders meets in Washington D.C.
- 1893U.S. Marines land in Honolulu from the USS Boston to prevent the queen from abrogating the Bayonet Constitution.
- 1908The Rhoads Opera House fire in Boyertown, Pennsylvania kills 171 people.
- 1939The Black Friday bush fires burn 20,000 square kilometres of land in Australia, claiming the lives of 71 people.
- 1953An article appears in Pravda accusing some of the most prestigious and prominent doctors, mostly Jews, in the Soviet Union of taking part in a vast plot to poison members of the top Soviet political and military leadership.
- 1985A passenger train plunges into a ravine in Ethiopia, killing 428 in the worst railroad disaster in Africa.
- 1990L. Douglas Wilder becomes the first elected African American governor as he takes office in Richmond, Virginia.
Who were born on January 13?
- 1562Mark Alexander Boyd, Scottish poet (d. 1601)
- 1881Essington Lewis, Australian industrialist (d. 1961)
- 1893Roy Cazaly, Australian rules footballer (d. 1963)
- 1901Mieczysław Żywczyński, Polish historian and priest (d. 1978)
- 1935Mauro Forghieri, Italian automotive & mechanical engineer (Scuderia Ferrari)
- 1939Cesare Maniago, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1971Phil Whyman, English paranormal researcher, television personality, writer and musician
- 1972Vitaly Scherbo, Belarusian gymnast
- 1980Michael Rupp, American ice hockey player
- 1987Marc Staal, Canadian ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.