January 13: Day of the Week
January 13, 2017 was the 13th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 352 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! Are you ready to solve your biggest career problem? First, you need to find out what’s preventing you to move forward in your career. Unlock your potential for success with the Career Analysis report. Get a free sample – no obligation to buy! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 13: This Day in History
It is still celebrated as New Year’s Eve (at least in the 20th & 21st centuries) by countries still using the thirteen-day-slower Julian calendar (Old New Year).
January 13 Historical Event(s)
- 1328Edward III of England marries Philippa of Hainault, daughter of the Count of Hainault.
- 1435Sicut Dudum is promulgated by Pope Eugene IV about the enslaving of black natives in Canary Islands by Spanish natives.
- 1733James Oglethorpe and 130 colonists arrive in Charleston, South Carolina.
- 1934The Candidate of Science degree is established in the USSR.
- 1942World War II: First use of aircraft ejection seat by a German test pilot in a Heinkel He 280 jet fighter.
- 1951First Indochina War: The Battle of Vinh Yen begins, which will end in a major victory for France.
- 1953An article appears in Pravda accusing some of the most prestigious and prominent doctors, mostly Jews, in the Soviet Union of taking part in a vast plot to poison members of the top Soviet political and military leadership.
- 1953Marshal Josip Broz Tito is chosen as President of Yugoslavia.
- 1958The Moroccan Liberation Army ambushes a Spanish patrol in the Battle of Edchera.
- 1964Anti-Muslim riots break out in Calcutta – resulting in 100 deaths.
Who were born on January 13?
- 1787John Davis, 14th and 17th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 1854)
- 1869Emanuele Filiberto, 2nd Duke of Aosta, Italian aristocrat (d. 1931)
- 1926Michael Bond, British writer
- 1954Trevor Rabin, South African guitarist (Yes)
- 1968Mike Whitlow, English footballer
- 1980Nils-Eric Johansson, Swedish footballer
- 1981Darrell Rasner, American baseball player
- 1983Sebastian Kneißl, German footballer
- 1987Sven Wetzel, German rugby player
- 1995Qaasim Middleton, American musician and actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.