January 14: Day of the Week
January 14, 2017 was the 14th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 351 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 14: This Day in History
It is celebrated as New Year’s Day (at least in the 20th and 21st centuries) by countries still following the Julian calendar.
January 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1129Formal approval of the Order of the Templar at the Council of Troyes.
- 1761The Third Battle of Panipat is fought in India between the Afghans under Ahmad Shah Durrani and the Marhatas. The Afghan victory changes the course of Indian History.
- 1911Roald Amundsen’s South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf.
- 1943World War II: Operation Ke, the successful Japanese operation to evacuate their forces from Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal campaign, begins.
- 1950The first prototype of the MiG-17 makes its maiden flight.
- 1952NBC’s long-running morning news program Today debuts, with host Dave Garroway.
- 1954The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation forming the American Motors Corporation.
- 1969An accidental explosion aboard the USS Enterprise near Hawaii kills 27 people.
- 1973Elvis Presley’s concert Aloha from Hawaii is broadcast live via satellite, and sets a record as the most watched broadcast by an individual entertainer in television history.
- 2011Ben Ali, former Tunisian president, fled the country to Saudi Arabia after popular protests (dubbed as Jasmine Revolution) requesting his departure.
Who were born on January 14?
- 1792Christian Julius De Meza, Danish general (d. 1865)
- 1800Ludwig Ritter von Köchel, Austrian musicologist (d. 1877)
- 1870Sir George Pearce, Australian politician (d. 1952)
- 1925Louis Quilico, Canadian baritone (d. 2000)
- 1931Caterina Valente, French-born singer
- 1937Sonny Siebert, American baseball player
- 1968LL Cool J, American rapper and actor
- 1972Raimondas Rumšas, Lithuanian cyclist
- 1981Rosa López, Spanish singer
- 1984Erick Aybar, Professional baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.