January 14: Day of the Week
January 14, 2017 was the 14th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 351 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 14: This Day in History
It is celebrated as New Year’s Day (at least in the 20th and 21st centuries) by countries still following the Julian calendar.
January 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1343Arnošt of Pardubice became the last bishop of Prague.
- 1814Treaty of Kiel: Frederick VI of Denmark cedes Norway to Sweden in return for Pomerania.
- 1907An earthquake in Kingston, Jamaica kills more than 1,000.
- 1952NBC’s long-running morning news program Today debuts, with host Dave Garroway.
- 1954Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj was named fifth Jagadguru (world teacher) after giving seven days of speeches before 500 Hindu scholars.
- 1969An accidental explosion aboard the USS Enterprise near Hawaii kills 27 people.
- 1975Teenage heiress Lesley Whittle is kidnapped by Donald Neilson, aka “the Black Panther”.
- 2000A United Nations tribunal sentences five Bosnian Croats to up to 25 years for the 1993 killing of over 100 Muslims in a Bosnian village.
- 2004The national flag of The Republic of Georgia, the so-called “five cross flag”, is restored to official use after a hiatus of some 500 years.
- 2011Stampede near Sabarimala – 104 devotees killed and several others injured in a stampede at Uppupara in Idukki district.
Who were born on January 14?
- 1883Nina Ricci, Italian-born French fashion designer (d. 1970)
- 1896John Dos Passos, American author (d. 1970)
- 1931Caterina Valente, French-born singer
- 1932Don Garlits, American race car driver
- 1935Lucille Wheeler, Canadian alpine skier
- 1967Leonardo “Leo” Ortolani, Italian comic book author
- 1972Dion Forster, South African theologian
- 1972James Key, British engineer
- 1980Hiroshi Tamaki, Japanese actor and model
- 1986Cristina Aicardi, Peruvian badminton player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.