January 14: Day of the Week
January 14, 2017 was the 14th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 351 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 14: This Day in History
It is celebrated as New Year’s Day (at least in the 20th and 21st centuries) by countries still following the Julian calendar.
January 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1911Roald Amundsen’s South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf.
- 1950The first prototype of the MiG-17 makes its maiden flight.
- 1952NBC’s long-running morning news program Today debuts, with host Dave Garroway.
- 1960The Reserve Bank of Australia, the country’s central bank and banknote issuing authority, is established.
- 1967Counterculture of the 1960s: The Human Be-In, takes place in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, launching the Summer of Love.
- 1972Queen Margrethe II of Denmark ascends the throne, the first Queen of Denmark since 1412 and the first Danish monarch not named Frederick or Christian since 1513.
- 1999Toronto, Ontario Mayor Mel Lastman becomes the first mayor in Canada to call in the Army to help with emergency medical evacuations and snow removal after more than one meter of snow paralyzes the city.
- 2000A United Nations tribunal sentences five Bosnian Croats to up to 25 years for the 1993 killing of over 100 Muslims in a Bosnian village.
- 2004The national flag of The Republic of Georgia, the so-called “five cross flag”, is restored to official use after a hiatus of some 500 years.
- 2005Landing of the Huygens probe on Saturn’s moon Titan.
Who were born on January 14?
- 1477Hermann of Wied, German Catholic archbishop (d. 1552)
- 1684Johann Matthias Hase, German scientist (d. 1742)
- 1856J. F. Archibald, Australian journalist and publisher (d. 1919)
- 1905Takeo Fukuda, 67th Prime Minister of Japan (d. 1995)
- 1911Anatoly Rybakov, Russian writer (d. 1998)
- 1938Morihiro Hosokawa, 79th Prime Minister of Japan
- 1941Barry Jenner, American actor
- 1943José Luis Rodríguez, Venezuelan singer
- 1943Shannon Lucid, American astronaut
- 1980Sosuke Sumitani, Japanese announcer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.