January 14: Day of the Week
January 14, 2017 was the 14th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 351 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get the Star Lovers Report and discover the secrets of a better relationship. Start to seize love opportunities in your life. Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention you can get a F-R-E-E sample? (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 14: This Day in History
It is celebrated as New Year’s Day (at least in the 20th and 21st centuries) by countries still following the Julian calendar.
January 14 Historical Event(s)
- 1129Formal approval of the Order of the Templar at the Council of Troyes.
- 1539Spain annexes Cuba.
- 1858Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
- 1911Roald Amundsen’s South Pole expedition makes landfall on the eastern edge of the Ross Ice Shelf.
- 1943World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill begin the Casablanca Conference to discuss strategy and study the next phase of the war.
- 1952NBC’s long-running morning news program Today debuts, with host Dave Garroway.
- 1954Jagadguru Kripalu Maharaj was named fifth Jagadguru (world teacher) after giving seven days of speeches before 500 Hindu scholars.
- 2000A United Nations tribunal sentences five Bosnian Croats to up to 25 years for the 1993 killing of over 100 Muslims in a Bosnian village.
- 2004The national flag of The Republic of Georgia, the so-called “five cross flag”, is restored to official use after a hiatus of some 500 years.
- 2011Stampede near Sabarimala – 104 devotees killed and several others injured in a stampede at Uppupara in Idukki district.
Who were born on January 14?
- 1131King Valdemar I of Denmark (d. 1182)
- 1451Franchinus Gaffurius, Italian music theorist (d. 1522)
- 1741Benedict Arnold, American/British general (d. 1801)
- 1850Pierre Loti, French writer (d. 1923)
- 1961Rob Hall, New Zealan mountaineer (d. 1996)
- 1967Emily Watson, English actress
- 1969Jason Bateman, American actor
- 1970Fazıl Say, Turkish pianist and composer
- 1986Cristina Aicardi, Peruvian badminton player
- 1992Nimue Smit, Dutch fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.