January 15: Day of the Week
January 15, 2017 was the 15th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 350 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1559Elizabeth I is crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey, London.
- 1822Greek War of Independence: Demetrius Ypsilanti is elected president of the legislative assembly.
- 1889The Coca-Cola Company, then known as the Pemberton Medicine Company, is originally incorporated in Atlanta.
- 1910Construction ends on the Buffalo Bill Dam in Wyoming, US, which was the highest dam in the world at the time, at 325 ft.
- 1919Boston Molasses Disaster: A large molasses tank in Boston, bursts and a wave of molasses rushes through the streets, killing 21 people and injuring 150 others.
- 1949Chinese Civil War: The Chinese Communist Party forces take over Tianjin from the Nationalist Government.
- 1951Ilse Koch, “The Witch of Buchenwald”, wife of the commandant of the Buchenwald concentration camp, is sentenced to life imprisonment by a court in West Germany.
- 1967The first Super Bowl is played in Los Angeles. The Green Bay Packers defeat the Kansas City Chiefs 35-10
- 1974Dennis Rader aka the BTK Killer kills his first victims by binding, torturing and murdering Joseph, Joseph II, Josephine and Julie Otero in their house.
- 1992The international community recognizes the independence of Slovenia and Croatia from the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
Who were born on January 15?
- 1342Philip II, Duke of Burgundy (d. 1404)
- 1795Alexandr Griboyedov, Russian playwright (d. 1829)
- 1863Wilhelm Marx, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1946)
- 1890Tommy Fleming, American soccer player (d. 1965)
- 1900William Heinesen, Faroese writer, poet and artist (d. 1991)
- 1912Michel Debré, French politician (d. 1996)
- 1941Captain Beefheart, American musician and visual artist (d. 2010)
- 1943Stuart E. Eizenstat, adviser to American Presidents Carter and Clinton
- 1973Essam El-Hadary, Egyptian footballer
- 1990Fernando Forestieri, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.