January 15: Day of the Week
January 15, 2017 was the 15th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 350 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1582Russia cedes Livonia and Estonia to the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 1892James Naismith publishes the rules of basketball.
- 1919Rosa Luxemburg and Karl Liebknecht, two of the most prominent socialists in Germany, are tortured and murdered by the Freikorps.
- 1966The Nigerian First Republic, led by Abubakar Tafawa Balewa is overthrown in a military coup d’état.
- 1970Muammar al-Qaddafi is proclaimed premier of Libya.
- 1974Dennis Rader aka the BTK Killer kills his first victims by binding, torturing and murdering Joseph, Joseph II, Josephine and Julie Otero in their house.
- 1992The international community recognizes the independence of Slovenia and Croatia from the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
- 1993Salvatore Riina, the Mafia boss known as “The Beast”, is arrested in Sicily after three decades as a fugitive.
- 2001Wikipedia, a free Wiki content encyclopedia, goes online.
- 2009US Airways Flight 1549 makes an emergency landing in the Hudson River shortly after takeoff from LaGuardia Airport in New York City. All passengers and crew members survive.
Who were born on January 15?
- 1850Mihai Eminescu, Romanian poet (d. 1889)
- 1877Lewis Terman, American psychologist (d. 1956)
- 1885Huang Yuanyong, Chinese writer (d. 1915)
- 1895Artturi Ilmari Virtanen, Finnish chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1973)
- 1913Lloyd Bridges, American actor (d. 1998)
- 1938Chuni Goswami, Indian footballer and cricketer
- 1953Randy White, American football player
- 1979Martin Petrov, Bulgarian footballer
- 1982Neil Nitin Mukesh, Indian actor
- 1986Jessy Schram, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.