January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2017 was the 16th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 550Gothic War (535–554): The Ostrogoths, under King Totila, conquer Rome after a long siege, by bribing the Isaurian garrison.
- 1362A storm tide in the North Sea destroys the German city of Rungholt on the island of Strand.
- 1547Ivan IV of Russia aka Ivan the Terrible becomes Tsar of Russia.
- 1605The first edition of El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid.
- 1707The Scottish Parliament ratifies the Act of Union, paving the way for the creation of Great Britain.
- 1761The British capture Pondicherry, India from the French.
- 1878Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878) – Battle of Philippopolis: Captain Burago with a squadron of Russian Imperial army dragoons liberates Plovdiv from Ottoman rule.
- 1896Defeat of Cymru Fydd at South Wales Liberal Federation AGM, Newport, Monmouthshire.
- 1920The League of Nations holds its first council meeting in Paris.
- 1970Buckminster Fuller receives the Gold Medal award from the American Institute of Architects.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1675Louis de Rouvroy, duc de Saint-Simon, French writer (d. 1755)
- 1853André Michelin, French industrialist (d. 1931)
- 1853Gen Sir Ian Hamilton, British military commander (d. 1947)
- 1853Sir Johnston Forbes-Robertson, English actor and theatre manager (d. 1937)
- 1853Vladimir Sergeyevich Solovyov, Russian philosopher (d. 1900)
- 1902Eric Liddell, Scottish runner (d. 1945)
- 1948John Carpenter, American film director
- 1962Paul Webb, British musician (Talk Talk, .O.rang)
- 1970Garth Ennis, Irish comic book author
- 1976Martina Moravcová, Slovak female swimmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.