January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2017 was the 16th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 550Gothic War (535–554): The Ostrogoths, under King Totila, conquer Rome after a long siege, by bribing the Isaurian garrison.
- 1412The Medici family is appointed official banker of the Papacy.
- 1556Philip II becomes King of Spain.
- 1786The Commonwealth of Virginia enacted the Statute for Religious Freedom authored by Thomas Jefferson.
- 1809Peninsular War: The British defeat the French at the Battle of La Coruña.
- 1878Russo-Turkish War (1877–1878) – Battle of Philippopolis: Captain Burago with a squadron of Russian Imperial army dragoons liberates Plovdiv from Ottoman rule.
- 1969Soviet spacecraft Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5 perform the first-ever docking of manned spacecraft in orbit, the first-ever transfer of crew from one space vehicle to another, and the only time such a transfer was accomplished with a space walk.
- 1986First meeting of the Internet Engineering Task Force.
- 2001Congolese President Laurent-Désiré Kabila is assassinated by one of his own bodyguards.
- 2002The UN Security Council unanimously establishes an arms embargo and the freezing of assets of Osama bin Laden, Al-Qaida, and the remaining members of the Taliban.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1477Johannes Schöner, German astronomer and cartographer (d. 1547)
- 1915Leslie H. Martinson, American television and film director.
- 1947Laura Schlessinger, American radio talk show host
- 1948Cliff Thorburn, Canadian snooker player
- 1948Ruth Reichl, American magazine editor
- 1953Robert Jay Mathews, American neo-Nazi (d. 1984)
- 1962Tracey Moore, voice actress
- 1972Yuri Drozdov, Russian footballer
- 1975Greg Strause, American visual effects creator
- 1977Jeff Foster, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.