January 16: Day of the Week
January 16, 2017 was the 16th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 349 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 16 Historical Event(s)
- 1412The Medici family is appointed official banker of the Papacy.
- 1547Ivan IV of Russia aka Ivan the Terrible becomes Tsar of Russia.
- 1556Philip II becomes King of Spain.
- 1761The British capture Pondicherry, India from the French.
- 1780American Revolution: Battle of Cape St. Vincent.
- 1809Peninsular War: The British defeat the French at the Battle of La Coruña.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton’s expedition finds the magnetic South Pole.
- 1919Temperance movement: The United States ratifies the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, authorizing Prohibition in the United States one year after ratification.
- 1920The League of Nations holds its first council meeting in Paris.
- 1938The Benny Goodman Orchestra performed the first jazz concert at Carnegie Hall.
Who were born on January 16?
- 1728Niccolò Piccinni, Italian composer (d. 1800)
- 1838Franz Brentano, German philosopher and psychologist (d. 1917)
- 1897Carlos Pellicer, Mexican poet (d. 1977)
- 1910Dizzy Dean, American baseball player (d. 1974)
- 1915Leslie H. Martinson, American television and film director.
- 1942René Angélil, Canadian music executive
- 1955Jerry M. Linenger, NASA astronaut
- 1972Salah Hissou, Moroccan long-distance runner
- 1978Alfredo Amézaga, Mexican baseball player
- 1981Nick Valensi, American guitarist (The Strokes)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.