January 18: Day of the Week
January 18, 2017 was the 18th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 347 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your career today? Get the Career Analysis Report and get insights about your professional working life. Find out the circumstances that shape your professional life to improve your earning power. Start to seize career opportunities today! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1535Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro founded Lima, the capital of Peru.
- 1562Pope Pius IV reopens the Council of Trent for its third and final session.
- 1955Battle of Yijiangshan is fought.
- 1974A Disengagement of Forces agreement is signed between the Israeli and Egyptian governments, ending conflict on the Egyptian front of the Yom Kippur War.
- 1978The roof structure of the Hartford Civic Center collapses after a significant snowfall.
- 1983The International Olympic Committee restores Jim Thorpe’s Olympic medals to his family.
- 1994The Cando event, a possible bolide impact in Cando, Spain. Witnesses claim to have seen a fireball in the sky lasting for almost one minute.
- 1997Boerge Ousland of Norway becomes the first person to cross Antarctica alone and unaided.
- 2003A bushfire kills 4 people and destroys more than 500 homes in Canberra, Australia.
- 2009Gaza War: Hamas announces they will accept Israeli Defense Forces’s offer of a ceasefire, ending the assault.
Who were born on January 18?
- 1519Isabella Jagiełło, queen of Hungary (d. 1559)
- 1840Henry Austin Dobson, English poet (d. 1921)
- 1848Ioan Slavici, Transylvanian writer (d. 1925)
- 1922Bob Bell, American clown (d. 1997)
- 1941Denise Bombardier, Quebec journalist, television host and novelist
- 1973Anthony Koutoufides, Australian rules footballer and Gladiator
- 1974Devon Odessa, American actress
- 1976Damien Leith, Irish-born Australian singer, winner of Australian Idol 2006
- 1977Richard Archer, British singer (lead singer of Hard-Fi)
- 1982Quinn Allman, American Guitarist, The Used
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.