January 19: Day of the Week
January 19, 2017 was the 19th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 19 Historical Event(s)
- 379Emperor Gratian elevates Flavius Theodosius at Sirmium to Augustus, and gives him power over all the eastern provinces of the Roman Empire.
- 1817An army of 5,423 soldiers, led by General José de San Martín, crosses the Andes from Argentina to liberate Chile and then Peru.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Mill Springs – The Confederacy suffers its first significant defeat in the conflict.
- 1915Georges Claude patents the neon discharge tube for use in advertising.
- 1942World War II: Japanese forces invade Burma
- 1983Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie is arrested in Bolivia.
- 1983The Apple Lisa, the first commercial personal computer from Apple Inc. to have a graphical user interface and a computer mouse, is announced.
- 1986The first computer virus released into the wild is a boot sector virus dubbed (c)Brain, created by the Farooq Alvi Brothers in Lahore, Pakistan, reportedly to deter piracy of the software they had written.
- 1991Gulf War: Iraq fires a second Scud missile into Israel, causing 15 injuries.
- 1997Yasser Arafat returns to Hebron after more than 30 years and joins celebrations over the handover of the last Israeli-controlled West Bank city.
Who were born on January 19?
- 1544King Francis II of France (d. 1560)
- 1739Joseph Bonomi the Elder, Italian architect (d. 1808)
- 1917John Raitt, American singer and actor (d. 2005)
- 1918John H. Johnson, American publisher (d. 2005)
- 1934Lloyd Robertson, Canadian journalist
- 1964Janine Antoni, Bahamian artist
- 1970Udo Suzuki, Japanese comedian
- 1972Elena Kaliská, Slovak slalom canoer
- 1972Troy Wilson, Australian racing driver and AFL player
- 1977Benjamin Ayres, Canadian actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.