January 19: Day of the Week
January 19, 2017 was the 19th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1419Hundred Years’ War: Rouen surrenders to Henry V of England completing his reconquest of Normandy.
- 1511Mirandola surrenders to the French.
- 1788The second group of ships of the First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay.
- 1795The Batavian Republic is proclaimed in the Netherlands bringing to an end the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands.
- 1871Franco-Prussian War: In the Siege of Paris, Prussia wins the Battle of St. Quentin. Meanwhile, the French attempt to break the siege in the Battle of Buzenval will end unsuccessfully the following day.
- 1917Silvertown explosion: 73 are killed and 400 injured in an explosion in a munitions plant in London.
- 1942World War II: Japanese forces invade Burma
- 1986The first computer virus released into the wild is a boot sector virus dubbed (c)Brain, created by the Farooq Alvi Brothers in Lahore, Pakistan, reportedly to deter piracy of the software they had written.
- 1996The barge North Cape oil spill occurs as an engine fire forces the tugboat Scandia ashore on Moonstone Beach in South Kingstown, Rhode Island.
- 2007Turkish Journalist Hrant Dink is assassinated in front of his newspaper’s office by 17 year old Turkish ultranationalist Ogün Samast.
Who were born on January 19?
- 1757Augusta Reuss-Ebersdorf, German Princess (d. 1831)
- 1813Sir Henry Bessemer, English inventor (d. 1898)
- 1923Jean Stapleton, American actress
- 1937John Lions, Australian computer scientist (d. 1998)
- 1941Colin Gunton, British theologian (d. 2003)
- 1953Richard Legendre, Canadian politician
- 1957Ottis Anderson, former American football player
- 1972Drea de Matteo, American actress
- 1987Angus Monfries, Australian league footballer
- 1987Edgar Manucharyan, Armenian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.