January 19: Day of the Week
January 19, 2017 was the 19th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 346 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 19 Historical Event(s)
- 1419Hundred Years’ War: Rouen surrenders to Henry V of England completing his reconquest of Normandy.
- 1853Giuseppe Verdi’s opera Il Trovatore receives its premiere performance in Rome.
- 1883The first electric lighting system employing overhead wires, built by Thomas Edison, begins service at Roselle, New Jersey.
- 1893Henrik Ibsen’s play The Master Builder receives its premiere performance in Berlin.
- 1915World War I: German zeppelins bomb the towns of Great Yarmouth and King’s Lynn in the United Kingdom killing more than 20, in the first major aerial bombardment of a civilian target.
- 1937Howard Hughes sets a new air record by flying from Los Angeles, California to New York City in 7 hours, 28 minutes, 25 seconds.
- 195368% of all television sets in the United States are tuned in to I Love Lucy to watch Lucy give birth.
- 1977Snow falls in Miami, Florida. This is the only time in the history of the city that snow has fallen. It also fell in the Bahamas.
- 1978The last Volkswagen Beetle made in Germany leaves VW’s plant in Emden. Beetle production in Latin America would continue until 2003.
- 2006The New Horizons probe is launched by NASA on the first mission to Pluto.
Who were born on January 19?
- 1808Lysander Spooner, American philosopher (d. 1887)
- 1921Patricia Highsmith, American author (d. 1995)
- 1937Giovanna Marini, Italian singer-songwriter
- 1941Colin Gunton, British theologian (d. 2003)
- 1947Ann Compton, American news reporter
- 1954Cindy Sherman, American photographer
- 1957Kenneth McClintock, Puerto Rican politician
- 1980Kotoko, Japanese singer
- 1984Fabio Catacchini, Italian footballer
- 1985Rika Ishikawa, Japanese singer (Morning Musume)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.