January 2: Day of the Week
January 2, 2017 was the 2nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 363 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 2 Historical Event(s)
- 366The Alamanni cross the frozen Rhine River in large numbers, invading the Roman Empire
- 1492Reconquista: the emirate of Granada, the last Moorish stronghold in Spain, surrenders
- 1905Russo-Japanese War: The Russian garrison surrenders at Port Arthur, China
- 1911A gun battle in the East End of London left two dead and sparked a political row over the involvement of then-Home Secretary Winston Churchill
- 1942World War II: Manila, Philippines is captured by Japanese forces
- 1949Luis Muñoz Marín becomes the first democratically elected Governor of Puerto Rico
- 1959Luna 1, the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon and to orbit the Sun, is launched by the Soviet Union
- 1999A brutal snowstorm smashes into the Midwestern United States, causing 14 inches (359 mm) of snow in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and 19 inches (487 mm) in Chicago, Illinois, where temperatures plunge to -13 °F (-25 °C); 68 deaths are reported
- 2001Sila María Calderón becomes the first female Governor of Puerto Rico
- 2004Stardust successfully flies past Comet Wild 2, collecting samples that are returned to Earth.
Who were born on January 2?
- 1873Antonie Pannekoek, Dutch astronomer and Marxist theorist (d. 1960)
- 1905Luigi Zampa, Italian film director and screenwriter (d. 1991)
- 1946Richard Cole, English tour manager
- 1953Jacques Tichelaar, a Dutch politician and trade union leader
- 1953Manfred Wittke, German footballer
- 1953Vincent Racaniello American virologist
- 1963Edgar Martínez, American baseball player
- 1968Evan Parke, Jamaican actor
- 1972Hristos Meletoglou, Greek triple jumper
- 1981Hanno Balitsch, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.