January 2: Day of the Week
January 2, 2017 was the 2nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 363 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 2 Historical Event(s)
- 366The Alamanni cross the frozen Rhine River in large numbers, invading the Roman Empire
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American forces under the command of George Washington repulsed a British attack at the Battle of the Assunpink Creek near Trenton, New Jersey
- 1818The British Institution of Civil Engineers is founded
- 1860The discovery of the planet Vulcan is announced at a meeting of the French Academy of Sciences in Paris, France
- 1871Amadeus I becomes King of Spain
- 1941World War II: German bombing severely damages the Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
- 1949Luis Muñoz Marín becomes the first democratically elected Governor of Puerto Rico
- 1971The second Ibrox disaster kills 66 fans at a Rangers-Celtic association football (soccer) match
- 1974President Richard Nixon signs a bill lowering the maximum U.S. speed limit to 55 MPH in order to conserve gasoline during an OPEC embargo
- 1992Leaders of armed opposition declare the President Zviad Gamsakhurdia deposed during a military coup in Georgia.
Who were born on January 2?
- 1822Rudolf Clausius, German physicist (d. 1888)
- 1886Florence Lawrence, Canadian actress (d. 1938)
- 1916Zypora Spaisman, Polish-born American Yiddish theatre actress and producer (d. 2002)
- 1940Jim Bakker, American televangelist
- 1952Christine Lavin, American singer-songwriter
- 1966Kate Hodge, American actress
- 1977Stefan Koubek, Austrian tennis player
- 1978Karina Smirnoff, Ukrainian-American professional ballroom dancer
- 1986Troy Andrews, American musician
- 1988Damien Tussac, French-born German rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.