January 2: Day of the Week
January 2, 2017 was the 2nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 363 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 2 Historical Event(s)
- 1788Georgia becomes the fourth state to ratify the United States Constitution
- 1833Re-establishment of British rule on the Falkland Islands.
- 1911A gun battle in the East End of London left two dead and sparked a political row over the involvement of then-Home Secretary Winston Churchill
- 1920The second Palmer Raid takes place with another 6,000 suspected communists and anarchists arrested and held without trial. These raids take place in several U.S. cities.
- 1941World War II: German bombing severely damages the Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
- 1942The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) convicts 33 members of a German spy ring headed by Fritz Joubert Duquesne in the largest espionage case in United States history—the Duquesne Spy Ring
- 1959Luna 1, the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon and to orbit the Sun, is launched by the Soviet Union
- 1971The second Ibrox disaster kills 66 fans at a Rangers-Celtic association football (soccer) match
- 1992Leaders of armed opposition declare the President Zviad Gamsakhurdia deposed during a military coup in Georgia.
- 2006An explosion in a coal mine in Sago, West Virginia traps and kills 12 miners, while leaving one miner in critical condition.
Who were born on January 2?
- 1933Richard Riley, American politician
- 1943Barış Manço, Turkish singer and television producer (d. 1999)
- 1949Leijn Loevesijn, Dutch cyclist
- 1952Jimmy Santiago Baca, American poet and writer
- 1959Kim Coates, Canadian actor
- 1969Glen Johnson, Jamaican boxer
- 1969Tommy Morrison, American boxer
- 1976Danilo Di Luca, Italian cyclist
- 1987Shelley Hennig, American actress
- 1991Davide Santon, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.