January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2017 was the 20th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1502The present-day location of Rio de Janeiro is first explored.
- 1783The Kingdom of Great Britain signs a peace treaty with France and Spain, officially ending hostilities in the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence).
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1934Fujifilm, the photographic and electronics company, is founded in Tokyo, Japan.
- 1941A Nazi officer is murdered in Bucharest, Romania, sparking a rebellion and pogrom by the Iron Guard, killing 125 Jews and 30 soldiers.
- 1986Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a federal holiday for the first time.
- 1987Church of England envoy Terry Waite is kidnapped in Lebanon.
- 1990On Black Saturday, the Red Army kills Azerbaijani civilians in Baku.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
- 2007A three-man team, using only skis and kites, completes a 1093 mi trek to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility for the first time since 1958 and for the first time ever without mechanical assistance.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1716King Charles III of Spain (d. 1788)
- 1912Walter Briggs, Jr., American sports executive (d. 1970)
- 1931Hachidai Nakamura, Japanese songwriter and pianist (d. 1992)
- 1935Joan Weston, Roller Derby Queen (d. 1997)
- 1945Eric Stewart, English musician and songwriter (10cc)
- 1963James Denton, American actor
- 1968Melissa Rivers, American reporter and actress
- 1971Derrick Green, American singer (Sepultura)
- 1975Norberto Fontana, Argentine racing driver
- 1989Washington, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.