January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2017 was the 20th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1921The first Constitution of Turkey is adopted, making fundamental changes in the source and exercise of sovereignty by consecrating the principle of national sovereignty.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- 1949Point Four Program a program for economic aid to poor countries announced by United States President Harry S. Truman in his inaugural address for a full term as President.
- 1981Twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan is inaugurated, at age 69 the oldest man ever to be inaugurated as U.S. President, Iran releases 52 American hostages.
- 1986Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a federal holiday for the first time.
- 1987Church of England envoy Terry Waite is kidnapped in Lebanon.
- 1992Air Inter Flight 148 crashes near Strasbourg, France, killing 82 passengers and five crew members.
- 1999The China News Service announces new government restrictions on Internet use, aimed especially at Internet cafés.
- 2001Philippine president Joseph Estrada is ousted in a nonviolent 4-day revolution, and is succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
Who were born on January 20?
- 225Gordian III, Roman Emperor (d. 244)
- 1732Richard Henry Lee, American statesman (d. 1794)
- 1873Johannes Vilhelm Jensen, Danish Nobel laureate (d. 1950)
- 1894Walter Piston, American composer (d. 1976)
- 1912Walter Briggs, Jr., American sports executive (d. 1970)
- 1918Juan García Esquivel, Mexican bandleader (d. 2002)
- 1946David Lynch, American film director
- 1951Ian Hill, British musician (Judas Priest)
- 1966Tracii Guns, American guitarist
- 1971Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, American drummer (The Roots)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.