January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2017 was the 20th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! Are you ready to solve your biggest career problem? First, you need to find out what’s preventing you to move forward in your career. Unlock your potential for success with the Career Analysis report. Get a free sample – no obligation to buy! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 250Emperor Decius begins a widespread persecution of Christians in Rome. Pope Fabian is martyred.
- 1576The Mexican city of León is founded by order of the viceroy Don Martín Enríquez de Almanza.
- 1885L.A. Thompson patents the roller coaster.
- 1887The United States Senate allows the Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- 1934Fujifilm, the photographic and electronics company, is founded in Tokyo, Japan.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1945World War II: Hungary agrees to an armistice with the Allies.
- 1969East Pakistani police kill student activist Amanullah Asaduzzaman. The resulting outrage is in part responsible for the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- 1986Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a federal holiday for the first time.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1554King Sebastian of Portugal (d. 1578)
- 1781Joseph Hormayr Freiherr zu Hortenburg, Austrian politician (d. 1848)
- 1899Clarice Cliff, English ceramic artist (d. 1972)
- 1902Leon Ames, American actor (d. 1993)
- 1918Nevin S. Scrimshaw, American food scientist
- 1920DeForest Kelley, American actor (d. 1999)
- 1929Arte Johnson, American actor
- 1940Krishnam Raju, Indian actor and politician
- 1959R.A. Salvatore, American author
- 1978Allan Søgaard, Danish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.