January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2017 was the 20th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1921The first Constitution of Turkey is adopted, making fundamental changes in the source and exercise of sovereignty by consecrating the principle of national sovereignty.
- 1929In Old Arizona, the first full-length talking motion picture filmed outdoors, is released.
- 1934Fujifilm, the photographic and electronics company, is founded in Tokyo, Japan.
- 1942World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the “Final Solution to the Jewish Question”.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1959The first flight of the Vickers Vanguard.
- 1981Twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan is inaugurated, at age 69 the oldest man ever to be inaugurated as U.S. President, Iran releases 52 American hostages.
- 1987Church of England envoy Terry Waite is kidnapped in Lebanon.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1783Justus Johann Friedrich Dotzauer, German cellist and composer (d. 1860)
- 1938Derek Dougan, Northern Irish footballer (d. 2007)
- 1955Joe Doherty, Provisional Irish Republican Army member
- 1958Lorenzo Lamas, American actor
- 1963James Denton, American actor
- 1964Ozzie Guillén, Venezuelan-born baseball player and manager
- 1966Stacey Dash, American actress
- 1978Luciano Zauri, Italian footballer
- 1980Brigitte Olivier, Belgian judoka
- 1991Jolyon Palmer, English racing driver; son of Jonathan Palmer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.