January 20: Day of the Week
January 20, 2017 was the 20th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 345 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 20: This Day in History
In the ancient astronomy, it was the cusp day between Capricorn and Aquarius. In some years it is Aquarius, but others Capricorn. It depends on the year.
January 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1356Edward Balliol abdicates as King of Scotland.
- 1788The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 1885L.A. Thompson patents the roller coaster.
- 1942World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the “Final Solution to the Jewish Question”.
- 1945World War II: Hungary agrees to an armistice with the Allies.
- 1954The National Negro Network is established with 40 charter member radio stations.
- 1972Pakistan launched its Nuclear detterent program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- 1981Twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan is inaugurated, at age 69 the oldest man ever to be inaugurated as U.S. President, Iran releases 52 American hostages.
- 1992Air Inter Flight 148 crashes near Strasbourg, France, killing 82 passengers and five crew members.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
Who were born on January 20?
- 1878Finlay Currie, British actor (d. 1968)
- 1898U Razak, Burmese politician (d. 1947)
- 1920Federico Fellini, Italian film director (d. 1993)
- 1926David Tudor, American pianist and composer (d. 1996)
- 1926Qurratulain Hyder, Indian and Pakistani novelist (d. 2007)
- 1953Colleen Zenk Pinter, American actress
- 1955Joe Doherty, Provisional Irish Republican Army member
- 1979Shang Yi, Chinese footballer
- 1984Olivia Hallinan, English actress
- 1988Jeffrén Suárez, Spanish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.