January 21: Day of the Week
January 21, 2017 was the 21st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 344 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1525The Swiss Anabaptist Movement is founded when Conrad Grebel, Felix Manz, George Blaurock, and about a dozen others baptize each other in the home of Manz’s mother in Zürich, breaking a thousand-year tradition of church-state union.
- 1643Abel Tasman becomes the first European to reach Tonga.
- 1887465 mm of rain falls in Brisbane, a record for any Australian capital city.
- 1893The Tati Concessions Land, formerly part of Matabeleland, is formally annexed to the Bechuanaland Protectorate, now Botswana.
- 1899Opel manufactures its first automobile.
- 1908New York City passes the Sullivan Ordinance, making it illegal for women to smoke in public, only to have the measure vetoed by the mayor.
- 1919Meeting of the First Dáil Éireann in the Mansion House Dublin. Sinn Féin adopts Ireland’s first constitution. The first engagement of Irish War of Independence, Sologhead Beg, County Tipperary.
- 1958The last Fokker C.X in military service, the Finnish Air Force FK-111 target tower, crashes, killing the pilot and winch-operator.
- 1966New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1971The current Emley Moor transmitting station, the tallest free-standing structure in the United Kingdom, begins transmitting UHF broadcasts.
Who were born on January 21?
- 1610Elizabeth Fones, English-born colonial American pioneer (d. 1673)
- 1848Henri Duparc, French composer (d. 1933)
- 1883Olav Aukrust, Norwegian poet (d. 1929)
- 1905Karl Wallenda, German acrobat (d. 1978)
- 1963Detlef Schrempf, German basketball player
- 1973Duane Lee Chapman, II, American bounty hunter
- 1976Emma Bunton, English singer (Spice Girls)
- 1978Andrei Zyuzin, Russian ice hockey player
- 1981Izabella Miko, Polish actress and model
- 1985Salvatore Giunta, Medal of Honor recipient
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.