January 21: Day of the Week
January 21, 2017 was the 21st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 344 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1525The Swiss Anabaptist Movement is founded when Conrad Grebel, Felix Manz, George Blaurock, and about a dozen others baptize each other in the home of Manz’s mother in Zürich, breaking a thousand-year tradition of church-state union.
- 1643Abel Tasman becomes the first European to reach Tonga.
- 1840Jules Dumont d'Urville discovers Adélie Land, Antarctica.
- 1887465 mm of rain falls in Brisbane, a record for any Australian capital city.
- 1925Albania declares itself a republic.
- 1954The first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus, is launched in Groton, Connecticut by Mamie Eisenhower, the First Lady of the United States.
- 1966New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1976Commercial service of Concorde begins with the London-Bahrain and Paris-Rio routes.
- 1977President Jimmy Carter pardons nearly all American Vietnam War draft evaders, some of whom had emigrated to Canada.
- 1981Production of the iconic DeLorean DMC-12 sports car begins in Dunmurry, Northern Ireland.
Who were born on January 21?
- 1864Paul Troje, German politician (d. 1942)
- 1906Igor Moiseyev, Russian choreographer (d. 2007)
- 1922Paul Scofield, English actor (d. 2008)
- 1927Clive Churchill, Australian rugby league footballer (d. 1985)
- 1941Stathis Giallelis, Greek actor
- 1946Johnny Oates, American baseball player and manager (d. 2004)
- 1950Billy Ocean, West Indian musician
- 1953Paul Allen, American entrepreneur, co-founder of Microsoft
- 1979Byung-Hyun Kim, Korean baseball player
- 1985Adrian Lewis, English darts player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.