January 21: Day of the Week
January 21, 2017 was the 21st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 344 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1720Sweden and Prussia sign the Treaty of Stockholm.
- 1887465 mm of rain falls in Brisbane, a record for any Australian capital city.
- 1899Opel manufactures its first automobile.
- 1908New York City passes the Sullivan Ordinance, making it illegal for women to smoke in public, only to have the measure vetoed by the mayor.
- 1966New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1968A B-52 bomber crashes near Thule Air Base, contaminating the area after its nuclear payload ruptures. One of the four bombs remains unaccounted for after the cleanup operation is complete.
- 1971The current Emley Moor transmitting station, the tallest free-standing structure in the United Kingdom, begins transmitting UHF broadcasts.
- 1997Newt Gingrich becomes the first leader of the United States House of Representatives to be internally disciplined for ethical misconduct.
- 2000Ecuador: After the Ecuadorian Congress is seized by indigenous organizations, Col. Lucio Gutierrez, Carlos Solorzano and Antonio Vargas depose President Jamil Mahuad. Gutierrez is later replaced by Gen. Carlos Mendoza, who resigns and allows Vice-President Gustavo Noboa to succeed Mahuad.
- 2008Black Monday in worldwide stock markets. FTSE 100 had its biggest ever one-day points fall, European stocks closed with their worst result since 11 September 2001, and Asian stocks drop as much as 14%.
Who were born on January 21?
- 1815John Bingham, American politician and lawyer (d. 1900)
- 1867Ludwig Thoma, German writer (d. 1921)
- 1887Maude Farris-Luse, American supercentenarian who was the oldest living person at the age of 115. (d. 2002)
- 1942Mac Davis, American musician
- 1947Pye Hastings, English singer and musician (Caravan)
- 1958Michael Wincott, Canadian actor
- 1970Ken Leung, American actor
- 1972Yasunori Mitsuda, Japanese composer
- 1975Ito, Spanish footballer
- 1979Spider Loc, American rapper, member of G-Unit
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.