January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2017 was the 23rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1546Having published nothing for eleven years, François Rabelais publishes the Tiers Livre, his sequel to Gargantua and Pantagruel.
- 1556The deadliest earthquake in history, the Shaanxi earthquake, hits Shaanxi province, China. The death toll may have been as high as 830,000.
- 1912The International Opium Convention is signed at The Hague.
- 1917New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Snake in Chinese astrology.
- 1937In Moscow, 17 leading Communists go on trial accused of participating in a plot led by Leon Trotsky to overthrow Joseph Stalin’s regime and assassinate its leaders.
- 1943Duke Ellington plays at Carnegie Hall in New York City for the first time.
- 1958Overthrow in Venezuela of Marcos Pérez Jiménez
- 1968North Korea seizes the USS Pueblo, claiming the ship had violated their territorial waters while spying.
- 1973President Richard Nixon announces that a peace accord has been reached in Vietnam.
- 1997Madeleine Albright becomes the first woman to serve as United States Secretary of State.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1862David Hilbert, German mathematician (d. 1943)
- 1884George McManus American cartoonist (d. 1954)
- 1896Alf Hall, South African cricketer (d. 1964)
- 1897Sir William Samuel Stephenson, Canadian soldier, W.W.II codename, Intrepid. Inspiration for James Bond. (d. 1989)
- 1898Randolph Scott, American actor (d. 1987)
- 1939Sonny Chiba, Japanese actor and martial artist
- 1952Omar Henry, South African cricketer
- 1953Alister E. McGrath, British theologian and scientist
- 1954Franco De Vita, Venezuelan singer and songwriter
- 1990Martyn Waghorn, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.