January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2017 was the 23rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 3102 BCEEpoch (origin) of the Kali Yuga.
- 1510Henry VIII of England, then 18 years old, appears incognito in the lists at Richmond, and is applauded for his jousting before he reveals his identity.
- 1912The International Opium Convention is signed at The Hague.
- 1928New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- 1937In Moscow, 17 leading Communists go on trial accused of participating in a plot led by Leon Trotsky to overthrow Joseph Stalin’s regime and assassinate its leaders.
- 1943World War II: Australian and American forces finally defeat the Japanese army in Papua. This turning point in the Pacific War marks the beginning of the end of Japanese aggression.
- 1943World War II: The Battle of Mount Austen, the Galloping Horse, and the Sea Horse on Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal campaign ends.
- 1950The Knesset passes a resolution that states Jerusalem is the capital of Israel.
- 1960The bathyscaphe USS Trieste breaks a depth record by descending to 10,911 m (35,798 feet) in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1986The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts its first members: Little Richard, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1857Andrija Mohorovičić, Croatian seismologist (d. 1936)
- 1884Ralph DePalma, Italian-American race car driver (d. 1956)
- 1907Dan Duryea, American actor (d. 1968)
- 1934Pierre Bourgault, Quebec politician and essayist (d. 2003)
- 1938Georg Baselitz, German painter and sculptor
- 1957Lou Schuler, American fitness journalist
- 1964Mario Roberge, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1972Ewen Bremner, Scottish actor
- 1973Tomas Holmström, Swedish ice hockey player
- 1986José Enrique Sánchez, Spanish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.