January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2017 was the 23rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your career today? Get the Career Analysis Report and get insights about your professional working life. Find out the circumstances that shape your professional life to improve your earning power. Start to seize career opportunities today! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1570James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, regent for the infant King James VI of Scotland, is assassinated by firearm, the first recorded instance of such.
- 1870In Montana, U.S. cavalrymen kill 173 Native Americans, mostly women and children, in the Marias Massacre.
- 1899Emilio Aguinaldo is sworn in as President of the First Philippine Republic.
- 1900The Battle of Spion Kop between the forces of the South African Republic and the Orange Free State and British forces during the Second Boer War resulted in a British defeat.
- 1907Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American U.S. Senator.
- 1937In Moscow, 17 leading Communists go on trial accused of participating in a plot led by Leon Trotsky to overthrow Joseph Stalin’s regime and assassinate its leaders.
- 1945World War II: Karl Dönitz launches Operation Hannibal.
- 1960The bathyscaphe USS Trieste breaks a depth record by descending to 10,911 m (35,798 feet) in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1973President Richard Nixon announces that a peace accord has been reached in Vietnam.
- 2012New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Dragon in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1840Ernst Abbe, German physicist (d. 1905)
- 1898Randolph Scott, American actor (d. 1987)
- 1915Potter Stewart, American Supreme Court Justice (d. 1985)
- 1940Joe Dowell, American singer
- 1964Bharrat Jagdeo, President of Guyana
- 1970Brendan O'Connor, Irish journalist, satirist
- 1974Rebekah Elmaloglou, Australian actress
- 1974Tiffani Thiessen, American actress
- 1975Phil Dawson, American football player
- 1985Doutzen Kroes, Dutch supermodel
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.