January 23: Day of the Week
January 23, 2017 was the 23rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 342 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 23 Historical Event(s)
- 971In China, the war elephant corps of the Southern Han are soundly defeated at Shao by crossbow fire from Song Dynasty troops.
- 1719The Principality of Liechtenstein is created within the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1904Ålesund Fire: the Norwegian coastal town Ålesund is devastated by fire, leaving 10,000 people homeless and one person dead. Kaiser Wilhelm II funds the rebuilding of the town in Jugendstil style.
- 1907Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American U.S. Senator.
- 1917New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Snake in Chinese astrology.
- 1943World War II: The Battle of Mount Austen, the Galloping Horse, and the Sea Horse on Guadalcanal during the Guadalcanal campaign ends.
- 1963Guinea-Bissau War of Independence officially begins when PAIGC guerrilla fighters attacked the Portuguese army stationed in Tite.
- 1964The 24th Amendment to the United States Constitution, prohibiting the use of poll taxes in national elections, is ratified.
- 1967Diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and Ivory Coast are established.
- 2003Final communication between Earth and Pioneer 10.
Who were born on January 23?
- 1828Saigō Takamori, Samurai, leader of Satsuma rebellion (d. 1877)
- 1857Andrija Mohorovičić, Croatian seismologist (d. 1936)
- 1896Charlotte, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (d. 1985)
- 1897Sir William Samuel Stephenson, Canadian soldier, W.W.II codename, Intrepid. Inspiration for James Bond. (d. 1989)
- 1900William Ifor Jones, Welsh conductor and organist (d. 1988)
- 1913Wally Parks, American racing executive, founder of the NHRA (d. 2007)
- 1923Cot Deal, American baseball player and coach
- 1928Jeanne Moreau, French actress
- 1952Omar Henry, South African cricketer
- 1986Benjamin Griesert, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.