January 24: Day of the Week
January 24, 2017 was the 24th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 341 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1817Crossing of the Andes: Many soldiers of Juan Gregorio de las Heras were captured during the Action of Picheuta.
- 1848California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter’s Mill near Sacramento.
- 1918The Gregorian calendar is introduced in Russia by decree of the Council of People’s Commissars effective February 14(NS)
- 1936New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rat in Chinese astrology.
- 1960Algerian War: Some units of European volunteers in Algiers stage an insurrection known as the “barricades week”, during which they seize government buildings and clash with local police.
- 1978Soviet satellite Cosmos 954, with a nuclear reactor onboard, burns up in Earth’s atmosphere, scattering radioactive debris over Canada’s Northwest Territories. Only 1% is recovered.
- 1984The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.
- 1993Turkish journalist and writer Uğur Mumcu is assassinated by a car bomb in Ankara.
- 2003The United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.
- 2011At least 35 died and 180 injured in a bombing at Moscow’s Domodedovo airport.
Who were born on January 24?
- 3 BCGalba, Roman Emperor (d. 69)
- 1936William Bogert, American actor
- 1939Ray Stevens, American musician
- 1954Jo Gartner, Austrian racing driver (d. 1986)
- 1955Jim Montgomery, American swimmer
- 1962Argiris Kambouris, Greek basketball player
- 1971Cory Bailey, American baseball player
- 1979Tatyana Ali, American actress and singer
- 1982Fiona Xie, Singaporean actress
- 1983Scott Speed, American race car driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.