January 24: Day of the Week
January 24, 2017 was the 24th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 341 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1878The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- 1916In Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad, the Supreme Court of the United States declares the federal income tax constitutional.
- 1918The Gregorian calendar is introduced in Russia by decree of the Council of People’s Commissars effective February 14(NS)
- 1936New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rat in Chinese astrology.
- 1942World War II: The Allies bombard Bangkok, leading Thailand to declare war against the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1960Algerian War: Some units of European volunteers in Algiers stage an insurrection known as the “barricades week”, during which they seize government buildings and clash with local police.
- 1972Japanese Sgt. Shoichi Yokoi is found hiding in a Guam jungle, where he had been since the end of World War II.
- 1977Massacre of Atocha in Madrid, during the Spanish transition to democracy.
- 1993Turkish journalist and writer Uğur Mumcu is assassinated by a car bomb in Ankara.
- 2003The United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.
Who were born on January 24?
- 3 BCGalba, Roman Emperor (d. 69)
- 1752Muzio Clementi, Italian composer (d. 1832)
- 1864Marguerite Durand, French suffragette (d. 1936)
- 1886Henry King, American film director (d. 1982)
- 1928Desmond Morris, British anthropologist
- 1934Stanisław Grochowiak, Polish poet (d. 1976)
- 1955Jim Montgomery, American swimmer
- 1960Rick Leventhal, American journalist
- 1983Wyatt Crockett, New Zealand rugby player
- 1989Calvin Goldspink, English singer/actor (S Club 8, S Club Juniors, I Dream)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.