January 24: Day of the Week
January 24, 2017 was the 24th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 341 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get the Star Lovers Report and discover the secrets of a better relationship. Start to seize love opportunities in your life. Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention you can get a F-R-E-E sample? (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 24 Historical Event(s)
- 41Roman Emperor Caligula, known for his eccentricity and cruel despotism, is assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. The Guard then proclaims Caligula’s uncle Claudius as Emperor
- 1742Charles VII Albert becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1918The Gregorian calendar is introduced in Russia by decree of the Council of People’s Commissars effective February 14(NS)
- 1925New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Ox in Chinese astrology.
- 1939The deadliest earthquake in Chilean history strikes Chillán.
- 1947Greek banker Dimitrios Maximos becomes Prime Minister of Greece.
- 1978Soviet satellite Cosmos 954, with a nuclear reactor onboard, burns up in Earth’s atmosphere, scattering radioactive debris over Canada’s Northwest Territories. Only 1% is recovered.
- 1990Japan launches Hiten, the country’s first lunar probe, the first robotic lunar probe since the Soviet Union’s Luna 24 in 1976, and the first lunar probe launched by a country other than Soviet Union or the United States.
- 1996Polish Premier Józef Oleksy resigns amid charges that he spied for Moscow.
- 2003The United States Department of Homeland Security officially begins operation.
Who were born on January 24?
- 1705Farinelli, Italian castrato (d. 1782)
- 1902E. A. Speiser, American biblical scholar (d. 1965)
- 1926Georges Lautner, French director and screenwriter
- 1936William Bogert, American actor
- 1946Michael Ontkean, Canadian actor
- 1948Michael Des Barres, British actor and rock singer
- 1972Naoshi Mizuta, Japanese composer
- 1974Ed Helms, American actor
- 1976Shae-Lynn Bourne, Canadian ice dancer
- 1983Shaun Maloney, Scottish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.