January 25: Day of the Week
January 25, 2017 was the 25th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 340 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 25 Historical Event(s)
- 1533Henry VIII of England secretly marries his second wife Anne Boleyn.
- 1787American Daniel Shays leads a rebellion to seize Federal arsenal to protest debtor’s prisons.
- 1915Alexander Graham Bell inaugurates U.S. transcontinental telephone service, speaking from New York to Thomas Watson in San Francisco.
- 1924The 1924 Winter Olympics opens in Chamonix, France (in the French Alps), inaugurating the Winter Olympic Games.
- 1941Pope Pius XII elevates the Apostolic Vicariate of the Hawaiian Islands to the dignity of a diocese. It becomes the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
- 1944New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- 1969Brazilian Army captain Carlos Lamarca deserts in order to fight against the military dictatorship, taking with him 10 machine guns and 63 rifles.
- 1994The Clementine space probe launches.
- 1998A suicide attack by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam on Sri Lanka’s Temple of the Tooth kills 8 people and injures 25 others.
- 1998During a historic visit to Cuba, Pope John Paul II demands the release of political prisoners and political reforms while condemning US attempts to isolate the country.
Who were born on January 25?
- 1900István Fekete, Hungarian writer (d. 1970)
- 1921Samuel T. Cohen, American physicist (d. 2010)
- 1923Rusty Draper, American country and pop singer (d. 2003)
- 1928Jérôme Choquette, Quebec lawyer and politician
- 1949John Cooper Clarke, English punk-poet
- 1949Paul Nurse, English biochemist, Nobel Laureate
- 1954Kim Gandy, American feminist activist
- 1967Mark Bamford, American writer/director
- 1982Shawna Waldron, American actress
- 1986Shahriar Nafees, Bangladeshi cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.