January 27: Day of the Week
January 27, 2017 is the 27th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 338 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1695Mustafa II becomes the Ottoman sultan in Istanbul on the death of Ahmed II. Mustafa rules until his abdication in 1703.
- 1870The Kappa Alpha Theta fraternity is founded at DePauw University.
- 1909The Young Left is founded in Norway.
- 1967The United States, United Kingdom, and Soviet Union sign the Outer Space Treaty in Washington, D.C., banning deployment of nuclear weapons in space, and limiting use of the Moon and other celestial bodies to peaceful purposes.
- 1971New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Pig in Chinese astrology.
- 1973The Paris Peace Accords officially end the Vietnam War. Colonel William Nolde is killed in action becoming the conflict’s last recorded American combat casualty.
- 1980Through cooperation between the U.S. and Canadian governments, six American diplomats secretly escape hostilities in Iran in the culmination of the Canadian caper.
- 1984Pop singer Michael Jackson suffers second degree burns to his scalp during the filming of a Pepsi commercial in the Shrine Auditorium.
- 1996In a military coup Colonel Ibrahim Baré Maïnassara deposes the first democratically elected president of Niger, Mahamane Ousmane.
- 2003The first selections for the National Recording Registry are announced by the Library of Congress.
Who were born on January 27?
- 1621Thomas Willis, English physician (d. 1675)
- 1805Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess of Austria (d. 1872)
- 1826Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin, Russian writer (d. 1889)
- 1926Ingrid Thulin, Swedish actress (d. 2004)
- 1949Ethan Mordden, American author
- 1950Derek Acorah, English spirit medium
- 1954Jōkō Ninomiya, Japanese martial artist
- 1957Frank Skinner, English writer and comedian
- 1976Clint Ford, American voice actor
- 1986Giorgi Loria, Georgian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.