January 27: Day of the Week
January 27, 2017 was the 27th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 338 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1142Execution, believed wrongful, of noted Song Dynasty General Yue Fei.
- 1593The Vatican opens seven year trial of scholar Giordano Bruno.
- 1888The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C.
- 1909The Young Left is founded in Norway.
- 1974The Brisbane River breaches its banks causing the largest flood to affect the city of Brisbane in the 20th Century
- 1984Pop singer Michael Jackson suffers second degree burns to his scalp during the filming of a Pepsi commercial in the Shrine Auditorium.
- 1990New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Horse in Chinese astrology.
- 1993American-born sumo wrestler Akebono Tarō becomes the first foreigner to be promoted to the sport’s highest rank of yokozuna.
- 2003The first selections for the National Recording Registry are announced by the Library of Congress.
- 2010The 2009 Honduran constitutional crisis ends when Porfirio Lobo Sosa becomes the new President of Honduras.
Who were born on January 27?
- 1603Harbottle Grimston, English politician (d. 1685)
- 1885Eduard Künneke, German composer (d. 1953)
- 1908William Randolph Hearst, Jr., American newspaper magnate (d. 1993)
- 1918William Seawell, United States Army Brigadier General (d. 2005)
- 1940James Cromwell, American actor
- 1941Beatrice Tinsley, New Zealand astronomer and cosmologist (d. 1981)
- 1944Mairéad Corrigan, Irish activist, Nobel laureate
- 1949Ethan Mordden, American author
- 1950Amos Grunebaum, Israeli-born physician
- 1967Dave Manson, Canadian ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.