January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2017 was the 28th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1573Articles of the Warsaw Confederation are signed, sanctioning freedom of religion in Poland.
- 1760Pownal, Vermont is created by Benning Wentworth as one of the New Hampshire Grants.
- 1846The Battle of Aliwal, India, is won by British troops commanded by Sir Harry Smith.
- 1855The first locomotive runs from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean on the Panama Railway.
- 1896Walter Arnold of East Peckham, Kent became the first person to be convicted of speeding. He is fined 1 shilling, plus costs, for speeding at 8 mph, thus exceeding the contemporary speed limit of 2 mph.
- 1922Knickerbocker Storm, Washington D.C.'s biggest snowfall, causes the city’s greatest loss of life when the roof of the Knickerbocker Theatre collapses.
- 1933The name Pakistan is coined by Choudhary Rehmat Ali Khan and is accepted by the Indian Muslims who then thereby adopted it further for the Pakistan Movement seeking independence.
- 1956Elvis Presley made his first US TV appearance
- 1979New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 2010Five murderers of President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman of Bangladesh: Lieutenant Colonel Syed Faruq Rahman, Lieutenant Colonel Sultan Shahriar Rashid Khan, Major AKM Mohiuddin Ahmed, Major Bazlul Huda and Lieutenant Colonel Mohiuddin Ahmed are hanged.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1457King Henry VII of England (d. 1509)
- 1861Julián Felipe, Filipino musician (d. 1944)
- 1865Kaarlo Juho Ståhlberg, first president of Finland (d. 1952)
- 1924Marcel Broodthaers, Belgian painter (d. 1976)
- 1943John Beck, American actor
- 1975Junior Spivey, American baseball player
- 1975Tanya Chua, Singaporean singer
- 1977Lyle Overbay, American baseball player
- 1978Gianluigi Buffon, Italian footballer
- 1990Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa, New Zealand rugby league footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.