January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2017 is the 28th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1754Horace Walpole coins the word serendipity in a letter to Horace Mann.
- 1846The Battle of Aliwal, India, is won by British troops commanded by Sir Harry Smith.
- 1855The first locomotive runs from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean on the Panama Railway.
- 1878Yale Daily News becomes the first daily college newspaper in the United States.
- 1896Walter Arnold of East Peckham, Kent became the first person to be convicted of speeding. He is fined 1 shilling, plus costs, for speeding at 8 mph, thus exceeding the contemporary speed limit of 2 mph.
- 1909United States troops leave Cuba with the exception of Guantanamo Bay Naval Base after being there since the Spanish-American War.
- 1917Municipally owned streetcars take to the streets of San Francisco, California.
- 1941French-Thai War: Final air battle of the conflict. Japanese-mediated armistice goes into effect later in the day.
- 1979New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- 1980USCGC Blackthorn collides with the tanker Capricorn while leaving Tampa Florida and capsizes killing 23 Coast Guard crewmembers.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1225Saint Thomas Aquinas (d. 1274)
- 1312Queen Joan II of Navarre (d. 1349)
- 1706John Baskerville, English printer (d. 1775)
- 1841Henry Morton Stanley, Welsh-born explorer and journalist (d. 1904)
- 1897Valentin Kataev, Russian writer (d. 1986)
- 1910John Banner, Austrian actor (d. 1973)
- 1960Robert von Dassanowsky, American historian, writer, and producer
- 1969Linda Sanchez, American politician
- 1972Nicky Southall, English footballer
- 1991Calum Worthy, Canadian actor and musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.