January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2017 was the 28th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1760Pownal, Vermont is created by Benning Wentworth as one of the New Hampshire Grants.
- 1813Pride and Prejudice is first published in the United Kingdom.
- 1871Franco-Prussian War: the Siege of Paris ends in French defeat and an armistice.
- 1878Yale Daily News becomes the first daily college newspaper in the United States.
- 1941French-Thai War: Final air battle of the conflict. Japanese-mediated armistice goes into effect later in the day.
- 1956Elvis Presley made his first US TV appearance
- 1958The Lego company patents the design of its Lego bricks, still compatible with bricks produced today.
- 1960New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- 1964An unarmed USAF T-39 Sabreliner on a training mission is shot down over Erfurt, East Germany, by a Soviet MiG-19.
- 1986Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission – Space Shuttle Challenger breaks apart after liftoff killing all seven astronauts on board.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1540Ludolph van Ceulen, German mathematician (d. 1610)
- 1582John Barclay, Scottish writer (d. 1621)
- 1600Pope Clement IX (d. 1669)
- 1784George Hamilton-Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen, Prime Minister of the UK (d. 1860)
- 1858Tannatt William Edgeworth David, KBE, DSO, FRS, Welsh-born Australian geologist and Antarctic explorer (d. 1934)
- 1861Julián Felipe, Filipino musician (d. 1944)
- 1927Per Oscarsson, Swedish actor (d. 2010)
- 1943Dick Taylor, English musician (The Rolling Stones and The Pretty Things)
- 1953Chris Carter, English musician (Throbbing Gristle, Chris & Cosey)
- 1954Rick Warren, American pastor and author
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.