January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2017 was the 28th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1724The Russian Academy of Sciences is founded in St. Petersburg by Peter the Great, and implemented by Senate decree. It is called the St. Petersburg Academy of Sciences until 1917.
- 1846The Battle of Aliwal, India, is won by British troops commanded by Sir Harry Smith.
- 1887In a snowstorm at Fort Keogh, Montana, the world’s largest snowflakes are reported, 15 in wide and 8 in thick.
- 1909United States troops leave Cuba with the exception of Guantanamo Bay Naval Base after being there since the Spanish-American War.
- 1932Japanese forces attack Shanghai.
- 1941French-Thai War: Final air battle of the conflict. Japanese-mediated armistice goes into effect later in the day.
- 1960New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- 1964An unarmed USAF T-39 Sabreliner on a training mission is shot down over Erfurt, East Germany, by a Soviet MiG-19.
- 1980USCGC Blackthorn collides with the tanker Capricorn while leaving Tampa Florida and capsizes killing 23 Coast Guard crewmembers.
- 1985Supergroup USA for Africa (United Support of Artists for Africa) records the hit single We Are the World, to help raise funds for Ethiopian famine relief.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1884Auguste Piccard, Swiss physicist (d. 1962)
- 1910John Banner, Austrian actor (d. 1973)
- 1929Claes Oldenburg, Swedish-born artist
- 1945John Perkins, American author and activist
- 1957Frank Skinner, British comedian
- 1974Magglio Ordóñez, Venezuelan baseball player
- 1977Joey Fatone, American singer (*NSYNC)
- 1978Jamie Carragher, English footballer
- 1981Elijah Wood, American actor
- 1989Josh Coulson, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.