January 28: Day of the Week
January 28, 2017 was the 28th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 337 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1077Walk to Canossa: The excommunication of Henry IV, Holy Roman Emperor is lifted.
- 1573Articles of the Warsaw Confederation are signed, sanctioning freedom of religion in Poland.
- 1813Pride and Prejudice is first published in the United Kingdom.
- 1887In a snowstorm at Fort Keogh, Montana, the world’s largest snowflakes are reported, 15 in wide and 8 in thick.
- 1909United States troops leave Cuba with the exception of Guantanamo Bay Naval Base after being there since the Spanish-American War.
- 1918Finnish Civil War: Rebels seized control of the capital, Helsinki, and members of the Senate of Finland go underground.
- 1977The first day of the Great Lakes Blizzard of 1977, which severely affects and cripples much of Upstate New York, but Buffalo, NY, Syracuse, NY, Watertown, NY, and surrounding areas are most affected, each area accumulating close to 10 ft of snow on this one day.
- 1982US Army general James L. Dozier is rescued by Italian anti-terrorism forces from captivity by the Red Brigades.
- 1988The last episode of the British TV series Yes, Prime Minister, entitled The Tangled Web, was broadcast.
- 1998New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Tiger in Chinese astrology.
Who were born on January 28?
- 1706John Baskerville, English printer (d. 1775)
- 1712Tokugawa Ieshige, Japanese shogun (d. 1761)
- 1863Ernest William Christmas, Australian painter (d. 1918)
- 1924Marcel Broodthaers, Belgian painter (d. 1976)
- 1953Chris Carter, English musician (Throbbing Gristle, Chris & Cosey)
- 1959Frank Darabont, American filmmaker
- 1968Rakim (William Michael Griffin Jr.), American rapper
- 1977Daunte Culpepper, American football player
- 1978Stephen Farrelly, Irish professional wrestler
- 1990Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa, New Zealand rugby league footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.