January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2017 was the 3rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1749The first issue of Berlingske, Denmark’s oldest continually operating newspaper, is published.
- 1777American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- 1925Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- 1945World War II: Admiral Chester W. Nimitz is placed in command of all U.S. Naval forces in preparation for planned assaults against Iwo Jima and Okinawa in Japan.
- 1949The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the central bank of the Philippines, is established.
- 1956A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
- 1961Finland’s worst civilian aviation accident takes place when Aero Flight 311 crashes near Kvevlax, resulting in the deaths of all 25 people aboard.
- 1962Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro.
- 1977Apple Computer is incorporated.
- 1993In Moscow, Russia, George Bush and Boris Yeltsin sign the second Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).
Who were born on January 3?
- 1862Sir Matthew Nathan, British Governor of Queensland (d. 1939)
- 1887Helen Parkhurst, American educator (d. 1973)
- 1907Ray Milland, British actor (d. 1986)
- 1932Tongolele, American-born Mexican dancer
- 1946John Paul Jones, British musician (Led Zeppelin)
- 1958James J. Greco, American businessman
- 1958Shim Hyung-rae, South Korean filmmaker
- 1974Robert-Jan Derksen, Dutch professional golfer
- 1978Mike York, American ice hockey player
- 1988Rodrigo de la Cadena, Mexican artist and performer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.