January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2017 was the 3rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1749The first issue of Berlingske, Denmark’s oldest continually operating newspaper, is published.
- 1848Joseph Jenkins Roberts is sworn in as the first president of the independent African Liberia.
- 1919At the Paris Peace Conference, Emir Faisal of Iraq signs an agreement with Zionist leader Chaim Weizmann on the development of a Jewish homeland in Palestine and an Arab nation in a large part of the Middle East.
- 1938The March of Dimes is established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1945World War II: Admiral Chester W. Nimitz is placed in command of all U.S. Naval forces in preparation for planned assaults against Iwo Jima and Okinawa in Japan.
- 1947Proceedings of the U.S. Congress are televised for the first time.
- 1961The SL-1, a government-run reactor near Idaho Falls, Idaho, underwent a core explosion and meltdown, killing three workers.
- 1962Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro.
- 1996The Motorola StarTAC, the first flip phone and one of the first mobile phones to gain widespread consumer adoption, goes on sale.
- 2004Flash Airlines Flight 604 crashes into the Red Sea, resulting in 148 deaths, making it the deadliest aviation accident in Egyptian history.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1873Ichizo Kobayashi, Japanese businessman (d. 1957)
- 1883Clement Attlee, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1967)
- 1892J. R. R. Tolkien, British writer (d. 1973)
- 1900Donald J. Russell, North American railroad executive (d. 1985)
- 1925Jill Balcon, British actress (d. 2009)
- 1944David Atherton, British conductor
- 1953Justin Fleming, Australian playwright and writer
- 1954Ned Lamont, American businessman and political figure
- 1963Jerome Young, American professional wrestler
- 1978Kimberley Locke, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.