January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2017 was the 3rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1431Joan of Arc is handed over to Bishop Pierre Cauchon.
- 1868Meiji Restoration in Japan: The Tokugawa shogunate is abolished; agents of Satsuma and Chōshū seize power.
- 1911A magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan.
- 1919At the Paris Peace Conference, Emir Faisal of Iraq signs an agreement with Zionist leader Chaim Weizmann on the development of a Jewish homeland in Palestine and an Arab nation in a large part of the Middle East.
- 1925Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- 1949The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the central bank of the Philippines, is established.
- 1953Frances P. Bolton and her son, Oliver from Ohio, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
- 1961The SL-1, a government-run reactor near Idaho Falls, Idaho, underwent a core explosion and meltdown, killing three workers.
- 1977Apple Computer is incorporated.
- 1999The Mars Polar Lander is launched.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1778Antoni Melchior Fijałkowski, Polish bishop (d. 1861)
- 1821Dragotin Dežman, Slovenian politician, archeologist and botanist (d. 1889)
- 1887Helen Parkhurst, American educator (d. 1973)
- 1915Jack Levine, American painter (d. 2010)
- 1935Raymond Garneau, French Canadian politician and businessman
- 1956Mel Gibson, American-Australian actor and director
- 1965Steven A. LaChance, American Author
- 1975Jason Marsden, American actor
- 1976Alisen Down, Canadian actress
- 1978Dimitra Kalentzou, Greek basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.