January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2017 was the 3rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1496Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
- 1777American general George Washington defeats British general Charles Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- 1868Meiji Restoration in Japan: The Tokugawa shogunate is abolished; agents of Satsuma and Chōshū seize power.
- 1925Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- 1933Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker position anywhere in the United States.
- 1953Frances P. Bolton and her son, Oliver from Ohio, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
- 1959Separatists in the Maldives declare the establishment of the United Suvadive Republic.
- 1961The SL-1, a government-run reactor near Idaho Falls, Idaho, underwent a core explosion and meltdown, killing three workers.
- 1977Apple Computer is incorporated.
- 1993In Moscow, Russia, George Bush and Boris Yeltsin sign the second Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START).
Who were born on January 3?
- 106 BCCicero, Roman statesman and philosopher (d. 43 BC)
- 1821Dragotin Dežman, Slovenian politician, archeologist and botanist (d. 1889)
- 1887August Macke, German painter (d. 1914)
- 1937Seri Wangnaitham, Thai dancer and choreographer (d. 2007)
- 1939Janice Crosio, Australian politician
- 1942John Marsden, Australian lawyer (d. 2006)
- 1946John Paul Jones, British musician (Led Zeppelin)
- 1970Christian Duguay, American comic actor
- 1986Jacob Timpano, Australian footballer
- 1991Jerson Cabral, Dutch footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.