January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2017 was the 3rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get the Star Lovers Report and discover the secrets of a better relationship. Start to seize love opportunities in your life. Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention you can get a F-R-E-E sample? (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1749Benning Wentworth issues the first of the New Hampshire Grants, leading to the establishment of Vermont.
- 1823Stephen F. Austin receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
- 1888The refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory, measuring 91 cm in diameter, is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time.
- 1945World War II: Admiral Chester W. Nimitz is placed in command of all U.S. Naval forces in preparation for planned assaults against Iwo Jima and Okinawa in Japan.
- 1961Finland’s worst civilian aviation accident takes place when Aero Flight 311 crashes near Kvevlax, resulting in the deaths of all 25 people aboard.
- 1961The United States severs diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- 1962Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro.
- 1997China announces it will spend US$27.7 billion to fight erosion and pollution in the Yangtze and Yellow River valleys.
- 1999Israel detains, and later expels, 14 members of Concerned Christians.
- 2004Flash Airlines Flight 604 crashes into the Red Sea, resulting in 148 deaths, making it the deadliest aviation accident in Egyptian history.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1862Sir Matthew Nathan, British Governor of Queensland (d. 1939)
- 1886John Gould Fletcher, American poet and author (d. 1950)
- 1907Ray Milland, British actor (d. 1986)
- 1956Mel Gibson, American-Australian actor and director
- 1963Jerome Young, American professional wrestler
- 1970Christian Duguay, American comic actor
- 1972Nichole Nordeman, American singer
- 1977A.J. Burnett, American baseball player
- 1984Billy Mehmet, Irish footballer
- 1987Leonidas Panagopoulos, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.