January 3: Day of the Week
January 3, 2017 was the 3rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 362 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 3: This Day in History
The Perihelion, the point in the year when the Earth is closest to the Sun, occurs around this date.
January 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1782Sylhet District in north-east Bangladesh is established
- 1815Austria, the United Kingdom, and France form a secret defensive alliance treaty against Prussia and Russia.
- 1823Stephen F. Austin receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
- 1870The construction of the Brooklyn Bridge begins.
- 1919At the Paris Peace Conference, Emir Faisal of Iraq signs an agreement with Zionist leader Chaim Weizmann on the development of a Jewish homeland in Palestine and an Arab nation in a large part of the Middle East.
- 1933Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker position anywhere in the United States.
- 1947Proceedings of the U.S. Congress are televised for the first time.
- 1949The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas, the central bank of the Philippines, is established.
- 1953Frances P. Bolton and her son, Oliver from Ohio, become the first mother and son to serve simultaneously in the U.S. Congress.
- 1962Pope John XXIII excommunicates Fidel Castro.
Who were born on January 3?
- 1196Emperor Tsuchimikado of Japan (d. 1231)
- 1719Francisco José Freire, Portuguese historian (d. 1773)
- 1806Henriette Sontag, German soprano (d. 1854)
- 1924Doug Ellis, British entrepreneur, former owner and now honorary president of Aston Villa F.C.
- 1934Carla Hills, American jurist, civil servant, and 5th United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
- 1942John Marsden, Australian lawyer (d. 2006)
- 1971Cory Cross, Canadian ice-hockey player
- 1972Nichole Nordeman, American singer
- 1978Park Sol-mi, South Korean actress
- 1986Jessica O'Rourke, American footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.