January 30: Day of the Week
January 30, 2017 was the 30th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 335 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your career today? Get the Career Analysis Report and get insights about your professional working life. Find out the circumstances that shape your professional life to improve your earning power. Start to seize career opportunities today! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aquarius horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 30 Historical Event(s)
- 1649King Charles I of England is beheaded.
- 1820Edward Bransfield sights the Trinity Peninsula and claims the discovery of Antarctica.
- 1858The first Hallé concert is given in Manchester, England, marking the official founding of the Hallé Orchestra as a full-time, professional orchestra.
- 1911The destroyer USS Terry makes the first airplane rescue at sea saving the life of James McCurdy 10 miles from Havana, Cuba.
- 1913The United Kingdom’s House of Lords rejects the Irish Home Rule Bill.
- 1944World War II: United States troops land on Majuro.
- 1945World War II: The Wilhelm Gustloff, overfilled with refugees, sinks in the Baltic Sea after being torpedoed by a Soviet submarine, leading to the deadliest known maritime disaster, killing approximately 9,400 people.
- 1964In a bloodless coup, General Nguyen Khanh overthrows General Duong Van Minh’s military junta in South Vietnam.
- 1968New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- 1995Workers from the National Institutes of Health announce the success of clinical trials testing the first preventive treatment for sickle-cell disease.
Who were born on January 30?
- 1697Johann Joachim Quantz, German flautist and composer (d. 1773)
- 1915Joachim Peiper, German SS officer (d. 1976)
- 1924Lloyd Alexander, American writer (d. 2007)
- 1931Allan W. Eckert, American naturalist and author
- 1931John Crosbie, Canadian politician
- 1951Phil Collins, English musician
- 1966Danielle Goyette, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1972Chris Simon, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1975Yumi Yoshimura, Japanese singer (Puffy Amiyumi)
- 1981Peter Crouch, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.