January 31: Day of the Week
January 31, 2017 is the 31st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 334 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1814Gervasio Antonio de Posadas becomes Supreme Director of Argentina.
- 1862Alvan Graham Clark discovers the white dwarf star Sirius B, a companion of Sirius, through an 18.5 in telescope now located at Northwestern University.
- 1867Maronite nationalist leader Youssef Karam leaves Lebanon on board a French ship bound for Algeria
- 1876The United States orders all Native Americans to move into reservations.
- 1938New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1943German Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrenders to the Soviets at Stalingrad, followed 2 days later by the remainder of his Sixth Army, ending one of World War II’s fiercest battles.
- 1944World War II: During Anzio campaign 1st Ranger Battalion (Darby’s Rangers) is destroyed behind enemy lines in a heavily outnumbered encounter at Battle of Cisterna, Italy.
- 1961Project Mercury: Mercury-Redstone 2 – Ham the Chimp travels into outer space.
- 1966The Soviet Union launches the unmanned Luna 9 spacecraft as part of the Luna program.
- 1996An explosives-filled truck rams into the gates of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka in Colombo, Sri Lanka killing at least 86 and injuring 1,400.
Who were born on January 31?
- 1686Hans Egede, Norwegian Lutheran missionary (d. 1758)
- 1933Camille Henry, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1997)
- 1941Gerald McDermott, American filmmaker, children’s book author & illustrator
- 1942Daniela Bianchi, Italian actress
- 1946Terry Kath, American musician (Chicago) (d. 1978)
- 1951Dave Benton, Aruban singer
- 1964Sylvie Bernier, French-Canadian diver
- 1977Mark Dutiaume, Canadian hockey player
- 1982Allan McGregor, Scottish football player
- 1990Jacopo Fortunato, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.