January 31: Day of the Week
January 31, 2017 was the 31st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 334 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1504France cedes Naples to Aragon.
- 1846After the Milwaukee Bridge War, Juneautown and Kilbourntown unify as the City of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
- 1917World War I: Germany announces that its U-boats will resume unrestricted submarine warfare after a two-year hiatus.
- 1938New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- 1942World War II: Allied forces are defeated by the Japanese at the Battle of Malaya and retreat to the island of Singapore.
- 1944World War II: American forces land on Kwajalein Atoll and other islands in the Japanese-held Marshall Islands.
- 1953A North Sea flood causes over 1,800 deaths in the Netherlands.
- 1968Viet Cong attack the United States embassy in Saigon, and other attacks, in the early morning hours, later grouped together as the Tet Offensive.
- 1971The Winter Soldier Investigation, organized by the Vietnam Veterans Against the War to publicize war crimes and atrocities by Americans and allies in Vietnam, begin in Detroit, Michigan.
- 2009In Kenya, at least 113 people are killed and over 200 injured following an oil spillage ignition in Molo, days after a massive fire at a Nakumatt supermarket in Nairobi killed at least 25 people.
Who were born on January 31?
- 1915Thomas Merton, American author and monk (d. 1968)
- 1925Benjamin Hooks, American civil rights activist (d. 2010)
- 1934James Franciscus, American actor (d. 1991)
- 1945Joseph Kosuth, American conceptual artist
- 1951Phil Manzanera, English guitarist (Roxy Music, Quiet Sun, 801)
- 1966Dexter Fletcher, English actor
- 1971Patricia Velásquez, Venezuelan actress and model
- 1974Ariel Pestano, Cuban baseball player
- 1980Tiffany Limos, American actress
- 1982Bruno Nogueira, Portuguese actor, comedian and TV host
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.