January 31: Day of the Week
January 31, 2017 was the 31st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 334 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aquarius is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 31 Historical Event(s)
- 314Silvester I begins his reign as Pope of the Catholic Church, succeeding Pope Miltiades.
- 1848John C. Fremont is court-martialed for mutiny and disobeying orders.
- 1865American Civil War: Confederate General Robert E. Lee becomes general-in-chief.
- 1876The United States orders all Native Americans to move into reservations.
- 1891The first attempt at a Portuguese republican revolution breaks out in the northern city of Porto.
- 1944World War II: American forces land on Kwajalein Atoll and other islands in the Japanese-held Marshall Islands.
- 1946Yugoslavia’s new constitution, modeling the Soviet Union, establishes six constituent republics (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Slovenia).
- 1957Eight people on the ground in Pacoima, California are killed following the mid-air collision between a Douglas DC-7 airliner and a Northrop F-89 Scorpion fighter jet.
- 1995New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Pig in Chinese astrology.
- 2009In Kenya, at least 113 people are killed and over 200 injured following an oil spillage ignition in Molo, days after a massive fire at a Nakumatt supermarket in Nairobi killed at least 25 people.
Who were born on January 31?
- 1881Irving Langmuir, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1957)
- 1928Chuck Willis, American singer and songwriter (d. 1958)
- 1934James Franciscus, American actor (d. 1991)
- 1937Andrée Boucher, Canadian politician (d. 2007)
- 1937Suzanne Pleshette, American actress (d. 2008)
- 1938James G. Watt, American politician and 43rd United States Secretary of the Interior
- 1941Jessica Walter, American actress
- 1980Tiffany Limos, American actress
- 1982Brad Thompson, American baseball player
- 1984Jeremy Wariner, American track and field athlete
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.