January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2017 was the 5th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1477Battle of Nancy: Charles the Bold is killed and Burgundy becomes part of France.
- 1913First Balkan War: During the Naval Battle of Lemnos, Greek admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis forces the Turkish fleet to retreat to its base within the Dardanelles, from which it did not venture for the rest of the war.
- 1918The Free Committee for a German Workers Peace, which would become the Nazi Party, is founded.
- 1945The Soviet Union recognizes the new pro-Soviet government of Poland.
- 1968Alexander Dubček comes to power: “Prague Spring” begins in Czechoslovakia.
- 1971The first One Day International cricket match is held between Australia and England at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- 1972U.S. President Richard Nixon orders the development of a Space Shuttle program.
- 1991Georgian forces enter Tskhinvali, the capital of South Ossetia, Georgia, opening the 1991–1992 South Ossetia War.
- 1996Hamas bombmaker Yahya Ayyash is killed by an Israeli-planted booby-trapped cell phone.
- 2005Eris, the largest known dwarf planet in the solar system, is discovered by the team of Michael E. Brown, Chad Trujillo, and David L. Rabinowitz using images originally taken on October 21, 2003, at the Palomar Observatory.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1209Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, King of the Romans (d. 1272)
- 1902Stella Gibbons, English novelist (d. 1989)
- 1917Wieland Wagner, German stage director (d. 1966)
- 1922Sir Anthony Synnot, Australian naval officer (d. 2001)
- 1930Alfred Masini, American television producer (d. 2010)
- 1943Mary Gaudron, Australian jurist
- 1983Sean Dockery, American basketball player
- 1987Kristin Cavallari, American actress
- 1991Denis Alibec, Romanian footballer
- 1999Marc Yu, American musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.