January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2017 was the 5th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get the Star Lovers Report and discover the secrets of a better relationship. Start to seize love opportunities in your life. Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention you can get a F-R-E-E sample? (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1477Battle of Nancy: Charles the Bold is killed and Burgundy becomes part of France.
- 1500Duke Ludovico Sforza conquers Milan.
- 1846The United States House of Representatives votes to stop sharing the Oregon Territory with the United Kingdom.
- 1896An Austrian newspaper reports that Wilhelm Röntgen has discovered a type of radiation later known as X-rays.
- 1909Colombia recognizes the independence of Panama.
- 1914The Ford Motor Company announces an eight-hour workday and a minimum wage of $5 for a day’s labor.
- 1918The Free Committee for a German Workers Peace, which would become the Nazi Party, is founded.
- 1957In a speech given to the United States Congress, President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces the establishment of what will later be called the Eisenhower Doctrine.
- 1968Alexander Dubček comes to power: “Prague Spring” begins in Czechoslovakia.
- 1975The Tasman Bridge in Tasmania, Australia, is struck by the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra, killing twelve people.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1917Jane Wyman, American actress (d. 2007)
- 1922Sir Anthony Synnot, Australian naval officer (d. 2001)
- 1924Gilbert Bogle, Australian scientist (d. 1963)
- 1930Alfred Masini, American television producer (d. 2010)
- 1942Terenci Moix, Spanish writer (d. 2003)
- 1952Uli Hoeneß, German footballer/manager
- 1954László Krasznahorkai, Hungarian writer
- 1960Phil Thornalley, English bass guitarist (The Cure)
- 1969Paul McGillion, Scottish actor
- 1975Warrick Dunn, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.