January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2017 was the 5th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1066Edward the Confessor dies childless, sparking a succession crisis that will eventually lead to the Norman conquest of England.
- 1477Battle of Nancy: Charles the Bold is killed and Burgundy becomes part of France.
- 1675Battle of Colmar: the French army beats Brandenburg.
- 1757Louis XV of France survives an assassination attempt by Robert-François Damiens, the last person to be executed in France by drawing and quartering, the traditional and gruesome form of capital punishment used for regicides.
- 1914The Ford Motor Company announces an eight-hour workday and a minimum wage of $5 for a day’s labor.
- 1925Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming becomes the first female governor in the United States.
- 1940FM radio is demonstrated to the Federal Communications Commission for the first time.
- 1945The Soviet Union recognizes the new pro-Soviet government of Poland.
- 1957In a speech given to the United States Congress, President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces the establishment of what will later be called the Eisenhower Doctrine.
- 2008Mikheil Saakashvili wins his second term as President of Georgia in the snap election.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1910Jack Lovelock, New Zealand athlete (d. 1949)
- 1917Wieland Wagner, German stage director (d. 1966)
- 1920Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, Italian pianist (d. 1995)
- 1926William De Witt Snodgrass, American poet
- 1928Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, Pakistani statesman (d. 1979)
- 1931Alvin Ailey, American choreographer (d. 1989)
- 1950John Manley, Canadian politician
- 1953George Tenet, American civil servant, university professor and 18th Director of Central Intelligence
- 1978Marcus Trick, German rugby player
- 1981Brooklyn Sudano, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.