January 5: Day of the Week
January 5, 2017 was the 5th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 360 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 5 Historical Event(s)
- 1477Battle of Nancy: Charles the Bold is killed and Burgundy becomes part of France.
- 1896An Austrian newspaper reports that Wilhelm Röntgen has discovered a type of radiation later known as X-rays.
- 1900Irish leader John Redmond calls for a revolt against British rule.
- 1911Kappa Alpha Psi, the world’s second oldest and largest black fraternity, is founded at Indiana University.
- 1913First Balkan War: During the Naval Battle of Lemnos, Greek admiral Pavlos Kountouriotis forces the Turkish fleet to retreat to its base within the Dardanelles, from which it did not venture for the rest of the war.
- 1925Nellie Tayloe Ross of Wyoming becomes the first female governor in the United States.
- 1945The Soviet Union recognizes the new pro-Soviet government of Poland.
- 1975The Tasman Bridge in Tasmania, Australia, is struck by the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra, killing twelve people.
- 1991Georgian forces enter Tskhinvali, the capital of South Ossetia, Georgia, opening the 1991–1992 South Ossetia War.
- 2008Mikheil Saakashvili wins his second term as President of Georgia in the snap election.
Who were born on January 5?
- 1587Xu Xiake, Chinese geographer (d. 1641)
- 1778Zebulon Pike, American explorer (d. 1813)
- 1900Yves Tanguy, French painter (d. 1955)
- 1909Stephen Cole Kleene, American mathematician (d. 1994)
- 1921Paul Governali, American professional football player (d. 1978)
- 1932Umberto Eco, Italian philosopher and writer
- 1945Chuck McKinley, American tennis player (d. 1986)
- 1960Phil Thornalley, English bass guitarist (The Cure)
- 1964Grant Young (musician), American drummer (Soul Asylum)
- 1991Denis Alibec, Romanian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.