January 6: Day of the Week
January 6, 2017 was the 6th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 359 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1118Reconquista: Alfonso the Battler conquers Zaragoza.
- 1355Charles I of Bohemia is crowned with the Iron Crown of Lombardy as King of Italy in Milan.
- 1449Constantine XI is crowned Byzantine-Roman Emperor at Mystras.
- 1721The Committee of Inquiry on the South Sea Bubble publishes its findings.
- 1870The inauguration of the Musikverein in Vienna, Austria.
- 1912German geophysicist Alfred Wegener first presents his theory of continental drift.
- 1929King Alexander of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes suspends his country’s constitution (the January 6th Dictatorship).
- 1951Ganghwa massacre: Korean War.
- 1953The first Asian Socialist Conference opens in Rangoon, Burma.
- 1993Indian Border Security Force units kill 55 Kashmiri civilians in Sopore, Jammu and Kashmir, in revenge after militants ambushed a BSF patrol.
Who were born on January 6?
- 1525Caspar Peucer, German reformer (d. 1602)
- 1850Franz Xaver Scharwenka, Polish-German pianist and composer (d. 1924)
- 1916Vincent Serventy, Australian writer and conservationist (d. 2007)
- 1931E. L. Doctorow, American author
- 1933Fred L. Turner, American restaurant industry executive
- 1934Sylvia Syms, English actress
- 1963Norm Charlton, American baseball player
- 1964Mark O'Toole, English musician (Frankie Goes to Hollywood)
- 1982Gilbert Arenas, American basketball player
- 1989Andy Carroll, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.