January 7: Day of the Week
January 7, 2017 was the 7th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 358 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 7 Historical Event(s)
- 1325Alfonso IV becomes King of Portugal.
- 1558France takes Calais, the last continental possession of England.
- 1610Galileo Galilei makes his first observation of the four Galilean moons: Ganymede, Callisto, Io and Europa, although he is not able distinguish the last two until the following day.
- 1959The United States recognizes the new Cuban government of Fidel Castro.
- 1985Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency launches Sakigake, Japan’s first interplanetary spacecraft and the first deep space probe to be launched by any country other than the United States or the Soviet Union.
- 1989Prince Akihito is sworn in as the emperor of Japan after the death of his father Hirohito
- 1991Roger Lafontant, former leader of the Tonton Macoutes in Haiti under François Duvalier, attempts a coup d'état, which ends in his arrest.
- 1993Bosnian War: The Bosnian Army executes a surprise attack on the village of Kravica in Srebrenica.
- 1993The Fourth Republic of Ghana is inaugurated with Jerry Rawlings as President.
- 1999The Senate trial in the impeachment of U.S. President Bill Clinton begins.
Who were born on January 7?
- 1899Al Bowlly, British jazz singer (d. 1941)
- 1903Alan Napier, English actor (d. 1988)
- 1912Günter Wand, German conductor, composer (d. 2002)
- 1922Alvin Dark, American baseball player and manager
- 1938Lou Graham, American golfer
- 1938Roland Topor, French illustrator (d. 1997)
- 1944Tony Whitlam, Australian judge
- 1961John Thune, American politician, junior senator of South Dakota
- 1983Edwin Encarnación, Dominican baseball player (raised in Puerto Rico)
- 1985Lewis Hamilton, English F1 racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.