January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2017 was the 8th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1297François Grimaldi, disguised as monk, leads his men to capture the fortress protecting the Rock of Monaco, establishing his family as the rulers of Monaco.
- 1734Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1904The Blackstone Library is dedicated, marking the beginning of the Chicago Public Library system.
- 1918President Woodrow Wilson announces his “Fourteen Points” for the aftermath of World War I.
- 1973Soviet space mission Luna 21 is launched.
- 2004The RMS Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever built, is christened by her namesake’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1836Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Dutch artist (d. 1912)
- 1894Saint Maximilian Kolbe, Polish martyr (d. 1941)
- 1934Alexandra Ripley, American writer (d. 2004)
- 1934Roy Kinnear, English actor (d. 1988)
- 1937Dame Shirley Bassey, Welsh singer
- 1951John McTiernan, American film director
- 1959Duk Koo Kim, Korean boxer (d. 1982)
- 1981Jeff Francis, Canadian baseball player
- 1982Gaby Hoffmann, American actress
- 1986David Silva, Spanish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.