January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2017 was the 8th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! Are you ready to solve your biggest career problem? First, you need to find out what’s preventing you to move forward in your career. Unlock your potential for success with the Career Analysis report. Get a free sample – no obligation to buy! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 871Alfred the Great leads a West Saxon army to repel an invasion by Danelaw Vikings.
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1940World War II: Britain introduces food rationing.
- 1962The Harmelen train disaster killed 93 people in the Netherlands.
- 1963Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa is exhibited in the United States for the first time, at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
- 1964President Lyndon B. Johnson declares a “War on Poverty” in the United States.
- 1971Bowing to international pressure, President of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto releases Bengali leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman from prison, who had been arrested after declaring the independence of Bangladesh.
- 2004The RMS Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever built, is christened by her namesake’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II.
- 2011An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1888Richard Courant, German-American mathematician (d. 1972)
- 1924Ron Moody, English actor
- 1929Saeed Jaffrey, Indian actor
- 1934Jacques Anquetil, French cyclist (d. 1987)
- 1955Mike Reno, Canadian musician
- 1955Spiros Livathinos, Greek footballer
- 1972Giuseppe Favalli, Italian footballer
- 1981Carmen Schäfer, Swiss curler
- 1983Chris Mordetzky, American wrestler
- 1987Carmen Klaschka, German tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.