January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2017 was the 8th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1835The United States national debt is 0 for the only time.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1912The African National Congress is founded.
- 1973Watergate scandal: The trial of seven men accused of illegal entry into Democratic Party headquarters at Watergate begins.
- 1982The break up of AT&T: AT&T agrees to divest itself of twenty-two subdivisions.
- 1989Beginning of Japanese Heisei period.
- 2002President George W. Bush signs into law the No Child Left Behind Act.
- 2011An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1817Sir Theophilus Shepstone, South African statesman (d. 1893)
- 1823Alfred Russel Wallace, British naturalist and biologist (d. 1913)
- 1871James Craig, 1st Viscount Craigavon, Irish politician (d. 1940)
- 1902Carl Rogers, American psychologist (d. 1987)
- 1909Nikolaos Platon, Greek archaeologist (d. 1992)
- 1909Willy Millowitsch, German actor (d. 1999)
- 1934Jacques Anquetil, French cyclist (d. 1987)
- 1953Bruce Sutter, American baseball player
- 1985Rachael Lampa, American singer
- 2011Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine of Denmark, twin children of Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.