January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2017 was the 8th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1835The United States national debt is 0 for the only time.
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1918President Woodrow Wilson announces his “Fourteen Points” for the aftermath of World War I.
- 1963Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa is exhibited in the United States for the first time, at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
- 1964President Lyndon B. Johnson declares a “War on Poverty” in the United States.
- 1979The tanker Betelgeuse explodes in Bantry Bay, Ireland.
- 1981A local farmer reports a UFO sighting in Trans-en-Provence, France, claimed to be “perhaps the most completely and carefully documented sighting of all time”.
- 1996An Antonov 32 cargo turboprop powered plane crashes into the central market in Kinshasa, Zaire killing more than 350 people.
- 2004The RMS Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever built, is christened by her namesake’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II.
- 2010Gunmen from an offshoot the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda attacked the bus carrying the Togo national football team on its way to the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations, killing three.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1867Emily Greene Balch, American writer and pacifist, Nobel Peace Prize laureate (d. 1961)
- 1891Walther Bothe, German physicist, Nobel Prize in Physics laureate (d. 1957)
- 1908William Hartnell, British actor (d. 1975)
- 1926Soupy Sales, American comedian (d. 2009)
- 1934Jacques Anquetil, French cyclist (d. 1987)
- 1953Bruce Sutter, American baseball player
- 1968Keith Mullings, American boxer
- 1976Carl Pavano, American baseball player
- 1977Melanie Seeger, German race walker
- 1982John Utaka, Nigerian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.