January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2017 was the 8th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 871Alfred the Great leads a West Saxon army to repel an invasion by Danelaw Vikings.
- 1780An earthquake of estimated magnitude 7.7 hits the city of Tabriz, Iran, killing about 80,000 people and causing major damage.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1906A landslide in Haverstraw, New York, caused by the excavation of clay along the Hudson River, kills 20 people.
- 1918President Woodrow Wilson announces his “Fourteen Points” for the aftermath of World War I.
- 1940World War II: Britain introduces food rationing.
- 1945World War II: Philippine Commonwealth troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units was enter the province of Ilocos Sur in Northern Luzon and attack Japanese Imperial forces.
- 1994Russian cosmonaut Valeri Polyakov on Soyuz TM-18 leaves for Mir. He would stay on the space station until March 22, 1995, for a record 437 days in space.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1830Hans von Bülow, German pianist and composer (d. 1894)
- 1881Henrik Shipstead, American politician (d. 1960)
- 1945Jeannie Lewis, Australian actress and singer
- 1957David Lang, American composer
- 1962Chris Marion, American musician
- 1965Maria Pitillo, American actress
- 1969Jeff Abercrombie, American musician
- 1975Harris Jayaraj, Indian music composer
- 1976Carl Pavano, American baseball player
- 1989Kristján Einar, Icelandic racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.