January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2017 was the 9th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1816Sir Humphry Davy tests the Davy lamp for miners at Hebburn Colliery.
- 1839The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 1857The Fort Tejon earthquake of California occurs, registering an estimated magnitude of 7.9.
- 1858Anson Jones, the last President of the Republic of Texas, commits suicide.
- 1880The Great Gale of 1880 devastates parts of Oregon and Washington with high wind and heavy snow.
- 1905According to the Julian Calendar which is used at the time, Russian workers stage a march on the Winter Palace that ends in the massacre by Tsarist troops known as Bloody Sunday, setting off the Russian Revolution of 1905.
- 1921Greco-Turkish War: The First Battle of İnönü, the first battle of the war, began near Eskişehir in Anatolia.
- 1941World War II: The Greek Triton (Y-5) sinks the Italian submarine Neghelli in Otranto.
- 1992The Assembly of the Serb People in Bosnia and Herzegovina proclaims the creation of Republika Srpska, a new state within Yugoslavia.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1685Tiberius Hemsterhuis, Dutch philologist (d. 1766)
- 1886Lloyd Loar, Acoustical engineer and inventor of the Gibson F-5 mandolin (d. 1943)
- 1915Anita Louise, U.S. actress (d. 1970)
- 1926Jean-Pierre Côté, Canadian politician, Lieutenant governor of Quebec (d. 2002)
- 1929Heiner Muller, German dramatist (d. 1995)
- 1933Wilbur Smith, Zambian-British novelist
- 1964Stan Javier, Dominican baseball player
- 1967Claudio Caniggia, Argentinian footballer
- 1981Euzebiusz Smolarek, Polish footballer
- 1982Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.