January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2017 was the 9th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get the Star Lovers Report and discover the secrets of a better relationship. Start to seize love opportunities in your life. Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention you can get a F-R-E-E sample? (Sponsored link)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1788Connecticut becomes the fifth state to be admitted to the United States.
- 1793Jean-Pierre Blanchard becomes the first person to fly in a balloon in the United States.
- 1816Sir Humphry Davy tests the Davy lamp for miners at Hebburn Colliery.
- 1822The Portuguese prince Pedro I of Brazil decides to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portuguese king João VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1863American Civil War: the Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
- 1903Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson, son of the famous poet Alfred Tennyson, becomes the second Governor-General of Australia.
- 1914Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., the first historically black intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity to be officially recognized at Howard University is founded.
- 1991Representatives from the United States and Iraq meet at the Geneva Peace Conference to try and find a peaceful resolution to the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1832Félix-Gabriel Marchand, French-Canadian journalist and politician (d. 1900)
- 1849John Hartley, English tennis player (d. 1935)
- 1864Vladimir Steklov, Russian mathematician (d. 1926)
- 1898Gracie Fields, English music hall performer (d. 1979)
- 1942Judy Malloy, American hypertext fiction pioneer and artist
- 1959Rigoberta Menchú, Nobel Peace Prize laureate
- 1964Stan Javier, Dominican baseball player
- 1972Mat Hoffman, professional BMX rider
- 1978AJ McLean, American singer (Backstreet Boys)
- 1986Jéferson, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.