January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2017 was the 9th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1760Afghans defeat Marathas in the Battle of Barari Ghat.
- 1822The Portuguese prince Pedro I of Brazil decides to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portuguese king João VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1857The Fort Tejon earthquake of California occurs, registering an estimated magnitude of 7.9.
- 1894New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- 1905According to the Julian Calendar which is used at the time, Russian workers stage a march on the Winter Palace that ends in the massacre by Tsarist troops known as Bloody Sunday, setting off the Russian Revolution of 1905.
- 1923Juan de la Cierva makes the first autogyro flight.
- 1941World War II: First flight of the Avro Lancaster.
- 1941World War II: The Greek Triton (Y-5) sinks the Italian submarine Neghelli in Otranto.
- 2004An inflatable boat carrying illegal Albanian emigrants stalls near the Karaburun Peninsula while on the way to Brindisi, Italy; exposure to the elements kills 28.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1571Charles Bonaventure de Longueval, Count of Bucquoy, soldier in Habsburg service (d. 1621)
- 1854Jennie Jerome, American socialite and mother of Winston Churchill (d. 1921)
- 1881Lascelles Abercrombie, British poet and critic (d. 1938)
- 1909Herva Nelli, Italian-born soprano (d. 1994)
- 1920Chan Canasta, Polish-British magician (d. 1999)
- 1928Domenico Modugno, Italian singer and songwriter (d. 1994)
- 1939Susannah York, British actress (d. 2011)
- 1942John Dunning, American writer
- 1971Scott Thornton, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1989Michaëlla Krajicek, Dutch tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.