January 9: Day of the Week
January 9, 2017 was the 9th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 356 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
January 9 Historical Event(s)
- 475Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople, and his general, Basiliscus gains control of the empire.
- 1127Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin Dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song Dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song Dynasty.
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Star of the West” incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina. It is considered by some historians to be the “First Shots of the American Civil War”.
- 1878Umberto I becomes King of Italy.
- 1921Greco-Turkish War: The First Battle of İnönü, the first battle of the war, began near Eskişehir in Anatolia.
- 1947Elizabeth “Betty” Short, the Black Dahlia, is last seen alive.
- 1992The Assembly of the Serb People in Bosnia and Herzegovina proclaims the creation of Republika Srpska, a new state within Yugoslavia.
- 2004An inflatable boat carrying illegal Albanian emigrants stalls near the Karaburun Peninsula while on the way to Brindisi, Italy; exposure to the elements kills 28.
- 2005Elections are held to replace Yasser Arafat as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization. He is succeeded by Rawhi Fattouh.
Who were born on January 9?
- 1735John Jervis, 1st Earl of St Vincent Royal Navy, Admiral of the Fleet
- 1829Adolf von Schlagintweit, German explorer (d. 1857)
- 1886Lloyd Loar, Acoustical engineer and inventor of the Gibson F-5 mandolin (d. 1943)
- 1898Wally Baker, American supercentenarian (d. 2009)
- 1920Clive Dunn, British actor
- 1921Lister Sinclair, Canadian broadcaster and playwright (d. 2006)
- 1940Jimmy Boyd, American actor and singer (d. 2009)
- 1967Dave Matthews, South African singer and musician
- 1968Catalina Saavedra, Chilean actress
- 1970Alex Staropoli, Italian keyboardist (Rhapsody Of Fire)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.