March 11: Day of the Week
March 11, 2017 is the 70th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 295 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1387Battle of Castagnaro: English condottiero Sir John Hawkwood leads Padova to victory in a factional clash with Verona.
- 1702The Daily Courant, England’s first national daily newspaper is published for the first time.
- 1708Queen Anne withholds Royal Assent from the Scottish Militia Bill, the last time a British monarch vetoes legislation.
- 1784The signing of the Treaty of Mangalore brings the Second Anglo-Mysore War to an end.
- 1824The United States Department of War creates the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- 1845The Flagstaff War: Unhappy with translational differences regarding the Treaty of Waitangi, chiefs Hone Heke, Kawiti and Māori tribe members chop down the British flagpole for a fourth time and drive settlers out of Kororareka, New Zealand.
- 1864The Great Sheffield Flood: The largest man-made disaster ever to befall England kills over 250 people in Sheffield.
- 1867The first performance of Don Carlos by Giuseppe Verdi takes place in Paris.
- 1931Ready for Labour and Defence of the USSR, abbreviated as GTO, is introduced in the Soviet Union.
- 2006Michelle Bachelet is inaugurated as first female president of Chile.
Who were born on March 11?
- 1822Joseph Louis François Bertrand, French mathematician (d. 1900)
- 1885Malcolm Campbell, English race car driver (d. 1948)
- 1890Vannevar Bush, American engineer and politician (d. 1974)
- 1922Cornelius Castoriadis, Greek philosopher and economist (d. 1997)
- 1931Rupert Murdoch, Australian-born entrepreneur
- 1940Alberto Cortez, Argentinian singer
- 1950Bobby McFerrin, American singer
- 1955Nina Hagen, German singer
- 1963Davis Guggenheim, American director and producer
- 1968Lisa Loeb, American singer-songwriter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.