March 11: Day of the Week
March 11, 2017 was the 70th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 295 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1387Battle of Castagnaro: English condottiero Sir John Hawkwood leads Padova to victory in a factional clash with Verona.
- 1649The Frondeurs and the French sign the Peace of Rueil.
- 1702The Daily Courant, England’s first national daily newspaper is published for the first time.
- 1845The Flagstaff War: Unhappy with translational differences regarding the Treaty of Waitangi, chiefs Hone Heke, Kawiti and Māori tribe members chop down the British flagpole for a fourth time and drive settlers out of Kororareka, New Zealand.
- 1851The first performance of Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi takes place in Venice.
- 1941World War II: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Lend-Lease Act into law, allowing American-built war supplies to be shipped to the Allies on loan.
- 1945World War II: The Empire of Vietnam, a short-lived puppet state, is established with Bảo Đại as its ruler.
- 1977The 1977 Hanafi Muslim Siege: more than 130 hostages held in Washington, D.C., by Hanafi Muslims are set free after ambassadors from three Islamic nations join negotiations.
- 1983Pakistan successfully conducts a cold test of a nuclear weapon.
- 2010Economist and businessman Sebastián Piñera is sworn in as President of Chile, while three earthquakes, the strongest measuring magnitude 6.9 and all centered next to Pichilemu, capital of Cardenal Caro Province, hit central Chile during the ceremony.
Who were born on March 11?
- 1863Andrew Stoddart, English cricketer (d. 1915)
- 1884Lewi Pethrus, Swedish politician (d. 1974)
- 1921Ástor Piazzolla, Argentine composer (d. 1992)
- 1937Carlos Larrañaga, Spanish actor
- 1945Dock Ellis, American baseball player (d. 2008)
- 1950Jerry Zucker, American director
- 1952Douglas Adams, English writer (d. 2001)
- 1953László Bölöni, Romanian football player and manager
- 1971Johnny Knoxville, American television personality
- 1979Benji Madden, American guitarist (Good Charlotte)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.