March 12: Day of the Week
March 12, 2017 was the 71st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 294 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1811Peninsular War: A day after a successful rear guard action, French Marshal Michel Ney once again successfully delayed the pursuing Anglo-Portuguese force at the Battle of Redinha.
- 1881Andrew Watson makes his Scotland debut as the world’s first black international football player and captain.
- 1912The Girl Guides (later renamed the Girl Scouts of the USA) are founded in the United States.
- 1918Moscow becomes the capital of Russia again after Saint Petersburg held this status for 215 years.
- 1930Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile march, known as the Salt March, to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt.
- 1933Great Depression: Franklin D. Roosevelt addresses the nation for the first time as President of the United States. This is also the first of his “fireside chats”.
- 1947The Truman Doctrine is proclaimed to help stem the spread of Communism.
- 1950The Llandow air disaster occurs near Sigingstone, Wales, in which 80 people die when their aircraft crashed, making it the world’s deadliest air disaster at the time.
- 1964New Hampshire Lottery: New Hampshire becomes the first U.S. state to legally sell lottery tickets in the 20th century.
- 1992Mauritius becomes a republic while remaining a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
Who were born on March 12?
- 1781Frederica of Baden, Queen of Sweden (d. 1826)
- 1881Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, first President of Turkey (d. 1938)
- 1889King Idris I of Libya (d. 1983)
- 1919Mike Stepovich, American attorney and last territorial governor of Alaska
- 1925Georges Delerue, French film composer (d. 1992)
- 1930Vernon Law, American baseball player
- 1935John Doherty, English footballer (d. 2007)
- 1936Eddie Sutton, American college basketball coach
- 1980John-Paul Lavoisier, American actor
- 1981Maurizio Lauro, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.