March 12: Day of the Week
March 12, 2017 was the 71st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 294 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1622Ignatius of Loyola and Francis Xavier, founders of the Jesuits, are canonized as saints by the Catholic Church.
- 1689The Williamite War in Ireland begins.
- 1811Peninsular War: A day after a successful rear guard action, French Marshal Michel Ney once again successfully delayed the pursuing Anglo-Portuguese force at the Battle of Redinha.
- 1918Moscow becomes the capital of Russia again after Saint Petersburg held this status for 215 years.
- 1933Great Depression: Franklin D. Roosevelt addresses the nation for the first time as President of the United States. This is also the first of his “fireside chats”.
- 1938Anschluss: German troops occupy Austria.
- 1950The Llandow air disaster occurs near Sigingstone, Wales, in which 80 people die when their aircraft crashed, making it the world’s deadliest air disaster at the time.
- 1993Several bombs explode in Bombay (Mumbai), India, killing about 300 and injuring hundreds more.
- 1993The Blizzard of 1993 – Snow begins to fall across the eastern portion of the US with tornadoes, thunder snow storms, high winds and record low temperatures. The storm lasts for 30 hours.
- 2004The President of South Korea, Roh Moo-hyun, is impeached by its national assembly: the first such impeachment in the nation’s history.
Who were born on March 12?
- 1685George Berkeley, Irish theologian (d. 1753)
- 1718Joseph Damer, English politician (d. 1798)
- 1880Nikolaos Georgantas, Greek discus thrower (d. 1958)
- 1923Hanne Hiob, German actress (d. 2009)
- 1940Joe Unger, American actor
- 1957Patrick Battiston, French footballer
- 1960Kipp Lennon, American singer
- 1971Isaiah Rider, American basketball player
- 1976Zhao Wei, Chinese actress
- 1982Tobias Schweinsteiger, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.