March 13: Day of the Week
March 13, 2017 was the 72nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 293 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 13 Historical Event(s)
- 624Battle of Badr: a key battle between Muhammad’s army – the new followers of Islam and the Quraish of Mecca. The Muslims won this battle, known as the turning point of Islam, which took place in the Hejaz region of western Arabia.
- 1639Harvard College is named for clergyman John Harvard.
- 1845Felix Mendelssohn’s Violin Concerto receives its première performance in Leipzig with Ferdinand David as soloist.
- 1862American Civil War: The U.S. federal government forbids all Union army officers to return fugitive slaves, thus effectively annulling the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 and setting the stage for the Emancipation Proclamation.
- 1865American Civil War: The Confederate States of America agree to the use of African American troops.
- 1920The Kapp Putsch briefly ousts the Weimar Republic government from Berlin.
- 1954Battle of Điện Biên Phủ: Viet Minh forces attack the French.
- 1979The New Jewel Movement, headed by Maurice Bishop, ousts Prime Minister Eric Gairy in a nearly bloodless coup d'etat in Grenada.
- 1997India’s Missionaries of Charity chooses Sister Nirmala to succeed Mother Teresa as its leader.
- 2008Gold prices on the New York Mercantile Exchange hit $1,000 per ounce for the first time.
Who were born on March 13?
- 1781Karl Friedrich Schinkel, German architect (d. 1841)
- 1926Carlos Roberto Reina, President of Honduras (d. 2003)
- 1929Peter Breck, American actor
- 1938Erma Franklin, American singer (d. 2002)
- 1942Geoffrey Hayes, English television presenter and actor
- 1967Andrés Escobar, Colombian footballer (d. 1994)
- 1971Annabeth Gish, American actress
- 1973David Draiman, American musician and songwriter (Disturbed)
- 1984Yuuka Nanri, Japanese seiyū
- 1987Marco Andretti, American racecar driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.