March 13: Day of the Week
March 13, 2017 was the 72nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 293 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 13 Historical Event(s)
- 1881Alexander II of Russia is killed near his palace when a bomb is thrown at him. (Gregorian date: it was March 1 in the Julian calendar then in use in Russia.)
- 1884The Siege of Khartoum, Sudan begins, ending on January 26, 1885.
- 1920The Kapp Putsch briefly ousts the Weimar Republic government from Berlin.
- 1930The news of the discovery of Pluto is telegraphed to the Harvard College Observatory.
- 1940The Russo-Finnish Winter War ends.
- 1962Lyman Lemnitzer, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, delivers a proposal, called Operation Northwoods, regarding performing terrorist attacks upon Guantánamo Bay Naval Base, to Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara. The proposal is scrapped and President John F. Kennedy removes Lemnitzer from his position.
- 1979The New Jewel Movement, headed by Maurice Bishop, ousts Prime Minister Eric Gairy in a nearly bloodless coup d'etat in Grenada.
- 1988The Seikan Tunnel, the longest undersea tunnel in the world, opens between Aomori and Hakodate, Japan.
- 1997India’s Missionaries of Charity chooses Sister Nirmala to succeed Mother Teresa as its leader.
- 2005Terry Ratzmann shoots and kills six members of the Living Church of God and the minister at Sheraton Inn in Brookfield, Wisconsin before killing himself.
Who were born on March 13?
- 1720Charles Bonnet, Swiss naturalist and writer (d. 1793)
- 1942Scatman John, American singer (real name John Larkin) (d. 1999)
- 1956Dana Delany, American actress
- 1957John Hoeven, American politician, 31st governor and junior senator from North Dakota
- 1973David Draiman, American musician and songwriter (Disturbed)
- 1982Jeremy Curl, British explorer
- 1982Nicole Ohlde, WNBA basketball player
- 1984Marc Zwiebler, German badminton player
- 1985Emile Hirsch, American actor
- 1991Lê Quang Liêm, Vietnamese chess player.
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.