March 15: Day of the Week
March 15, 2017 was the 74th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 291 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 15: This Day in History
In the Roman calendar, March 15 was known as the Ides of March.
March 15 Historical Event(s)
- 221Liu Bei, a Chinese warlord and member of the Han royal house, declares himself emperor of Shu-Han and claims his legitimate succession to the Han Dynasty.
- 933After a ten-year truce, German King Henry I defeats a Hungarian army at the Battle of Riade near the Unstrut river.
- 1564Mughal Emperor Akbar abolishes jizya (per capita tax) .
- 1820Maine becomes the 23rd U.S. state.
- 1888Start of the Anglo-Tibetan War of 1888.
- 1926The dictator Theodoros Pangalos is elected President of Greece without opposition.
- 1933Austrian Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss keeps members of the National Council from convening, starting the austrofascist dictatorship.
- 1939Carpatho-Ukraine declares itself an independent republic, but is annexed by Hungary the next day.
- 1939World War II: German troops occupy the remaining part of Bohemia and Moravia; Czechoslovakia ceases to exist.
- 1945World War II: Soviet forces begin an offensive to push Germans from Upper Silesia.
Who were born on March 15?
- 938Romanos II, Byzantine emperor (d. 963)
- 1874Eugène Fiset, Lieutenant Governor of Quebec (d. 1951)
- 1916Fadil Hoxha, Yugoslav politician (d. 2001)
- 1920E. Donnall Thomas, American physician, Nobel laureate
- 1967Naoko Takeuchi, Japanese artist
- 1969Gianluca Festa, Italian footballer
- 1973Lee Jung-jae, South Korean actor & model
- 1975Darcy Tucker, Canadian hockey player
- 1981Mikael Forssell, Finnish footballer
- 1987Taiwan Brown, American video jockey
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.