March 15: Day of the Week
March 15, 2016 was the 75th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 291 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 15: This Day in History
In the Roman calendar, March 15 was known as the Ides of March.
March 15 Historical Event(s)
- 933After a ten-year truce, German King Henry I defeats a Hungarian army at the Battle of Riade near the Unstrut river.
- 1493Christopher Columbus returns to Spain after his first trip to the Americas.
- 1820Maine becomes the 23rd U.S. state.
- 1906Rolls-Royce Limited is incorporated.
- 1916President Woodrow Wilson sends 4,800 United States troops over the U.S.-Mexico border to pursue Pancho Villa.
- 1926The dictator Theodoros Pangalos is elected President of Greece without opposition.
- 1931SS Viking explodes off Newfoundland, killing 27 of the 147 on board.
- 1933Austrian Chancellor Engelbert Dollfuss keeps members of the National Council from convening, starting the austrofascist dictatorship.
- 1961South Africa withdraws from the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1965President Lyndon B. Johnson, responding to the Selma crisis, tells U.S. Congress “We shall overcome” while advocating the Voting Rights Act.
Who were born on March 15?
- 1838Karl Davydov, Russian cellist (d. 1889)
- 1860Waldemar Haffkine, Russian Jewish bacteriologist (d. 1930)
- 1904Yu Gwan-sun, Korean independence fighter (d. 1920)
- 1926Norm Van Brocklin, American football player (d. 1983)
- 1946Bobby Bonds, American baseball player (d. 2003)
- 1952Howard Devoto, British musician (Buzzcocks, Magazine)
- 1954Craig Wasson, American actor
- 1972Mike Tomlin, American football coach
- 1985Eva Amurri, American actress
- 1991Kii Kitano, Japanese actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.