March 16: Day of the Week
March 16, 2017 is the 75th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 290 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 16 Historical Event(s)
- 597 BCBabylonians captured Jerusalem, replaced Jehoiachin with Zedekiah as king.
- 1689The 23rd Regiment of Foot or Royal Welch Fusiliers is founded.
- 1861Edward Clark became Governor of Texas, replacing Sam Houston, who has been evicted from the office for refusing to take an oath of loyalty to the Confederacy.
- 1900Sir Arthur Evans purchased the land around the ruins of Knossos, the largest Bronze Age archaeological site on Crete.
- 1924In accordance with the Treaty of Rome, Fiume became annexed as part of Italy.
- 1939From Prague Castle, Hitler proclaimed Bohemia and Moravia a German protectorate.
- 1945Ninety percent of Würzburg, Germany is destroyed in only 20 minutes by British bombers. 5,000 are killed.
- 1976British Prime Minister Harold Wilson resigned, citing personal reasons.
- 1985Associated Press newsman Terry Anderson is taken hostage in Beirut. He is released on December 4, 1991.
- 2005Israel officially handed over Jericho to Palestinian control.
Who were born on March 16?
- 1800Emperor Ninko of Japan (d. 1846)
- 1890Solomon Mikhoels, Soviet actor and chairman of the Jewish Anti-Fascist Committee (d. 1948)
- 1918Frederick Reines, American physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1998)
- 1937Amos Tversky, Israeli psychologist (d. 1996)
- 1946Hubert Soudant, Dutch conductor
- 1949Victor Garber, Canadian actor
- 1959Flavor Flav, American rapper, and reality TV star
- 1960Duane Sutter, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1964Patty Griffin, American singer and songwriter
- 1979Edison Méndez, Ecuadorian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.