March 17: Day of the Week
March 17, 2017 was the 76th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 289 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 17 Historical Event(s)
- 180Marcus Aurelius dies leaving Commodus the sole emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 1780American Revolution: George Washington grants the Continental Army a holiday “as an act of solidarity with the Irish in their fight for independence”.
- 1941In Washington, D.C., the National Gallery of Art is officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1945The Ludendorff Bridge in Remagen, Germany collapses, ten days after its capture.
- 1947First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- 1957A plane crash in Cebu, Philippines kills Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay and 24 others.
- 1970My Lai Massacre: The United States Army charges 14 officers with suppressing information related to the incident.
- 1988Eritrean War of Independence: The Nadew Command, an Ethiopian army corps in Eritrea, is attacked on three sides by military units of the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front in the opening action of the Battle of Afabet.
- 1992Israeli Embassy attack in Buenos Aires: Suicide car bomb attack kills 29 and injures 242.
- 2003Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Robin Cook, resigns from the British Cabinet in disagreement with government plans for the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Who were born on March 17?
- 1676Thomas Boston, Scottish church leader (d. 1732)
- 1921Meir Amit, Israeli politician and general (d. 2009)
- 1932Donald N. Langenberg, American physicist
- 1945Michael Hayden, American Air Force General, CIA director
- 1947Yury Chernavsky, Russian-born composer and producer
- 1950Patrick Adams, American record producer and songwriter
- 1960Arye Gross, American actor
- 1961Sam Bowie, American basketball player
- 1986Miles Kane, British musician
- 1987Rob Kardashian, American model and singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.