March 17: Day of the Week
March 17, 2017 was the 76th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 289 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 17 Historical Event(s)
- 624Led by Muhammad, the Muslims of Medina defeat the Quraysh of Mecca in the Battle of Badr.
- 1776American Revolution: British forces evacuate Boston, Massachusetts, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox place artillery in positions overlooking the city.
- 1860The First Taranaki War begins in Taranaki, New Zealand, a major phase of the New Zealand land wars.
- 1861The Kingdom of Italy (1861–1946) is proclaimed.
- 1941In Washington, D.C., the National Gallery of Art is officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1959Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, flees Tibet for India.
- 1970My Lai Massacre: The United States Army charges 14 officers with suppressing information related to the incident.
- 1979The Penmanshiel Tunnel collapses during engineering works, killing two workers.
- 1992Israeli Embassy attack in Buenos Aires: Suicide car bomb attack kills 29 and injures 242.
- 2003Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Robin Cook, resigns from the British Cabinet in disagreement with government plans for the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Who were born on March 17?
- 1780Thomas Chalmers, Scottish pastor, social reformer, author, and scientist (d. 1847)
- 1820Jean Ingelow, English poet (d. 1897)
- 1834Gottlieb Daimler, German engineer and inventor (d. 1900)
- 1886Princess Patricia of Connaught, British princess (d. 1974)
- 1942John Wayne Gacy, American serial killer (d. 1994)
- 1947Jan Andersson, Swedish politician
- 1957Mal Donaghy, Northern Irish footballer
- 1957Michael Kelly, American journalist (d. 2003)
- 1958Pat Bolland, Canadian Broadcaster
- 1963Nick Peros, Canadian composer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.