March 20: Day of the Week
March 20, 2017 is the 79th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 286 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1602The Dutch East India Company is established.
- 1760The “Great Fire” of Boston, Massachusetts, destroys 349 buildings.
- 1852Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin is published.
- 1922The USS Langley is commissioned as the first United States Navy aircraft carrier.
- 1942World War II: General Douglas MacArthur, at Terowie, South Australia, makes his famous speech regarding the fall of the Philippines, in which he says: “I came out of Bataan and I shall return”.
- 1951Fujiyoshida, a city located in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan, in the center of the Japanese main island of Honshū is founded.
- 1980The Radio Caroline ship, Mi Amigo founders in a gale off the English coast.
- 1985Libby Riddles becomes the first woman to win the 1,135-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
- 1990Ferdinand Marcos’s widow, Imelda Marcos, goes on trial for bribery, embezzlement, and racketeering.
- 2006Cyclone Larry makes landfall in eastern Australia, destroying most of the country’s banana crop.
Who were born on March 20?
- 1477Jerome Emser, German theologian (d. 1527)
- 1639Ivan Mazepa, Hetman of Ukraine (d. 1709)
- 1915Rudolf Kirchschläger, Austrian politician, President (1974-1986) (d. 2000)
- 1922Ray Goulding, American comedian (d. 1990)
- 1954Mike Francesa, American sports talk show host
- 1963David Thewlis, British actor
- 1972Alexander Kapranos, Greek-British musician (Franz Ferdinand)
- 1979Bernard O'Connor, Gaelic Footballer
- 1985Nicolas Lombaerts, Belgian footballer
- 1986Ruby Rose Langenheim, Australian VJ
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.