March 20: Day of the Week
March 20, 2017 is the 79th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 286 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1602The Dutch East India Company is established.
- 1616Sir Walter Raleigh is freed from the Tower of London after 13 years of imprisonment.
- 1815After escaping from Elba, Napoleon enters Paris with a regular army of 140,000 and a volunteer force of around 200,000, beginning his “Hundred Days” rule.
- 1848Revolutions of 1848 in the German states: King Ludwig I of Bavaria abdicates.
- 1852Harriet Beecher Stowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin is published.
- 1883The Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property is signed.
- 1888The premiere of the very first Romani language operetta is staged in Moscow, Russia.
- 1942World War II: General Douglas MacArthur, at Terowie, South Australia, makes his famous speech regarding the fall of the Philippines, in which he says: “I came out of Bataan and I shall return”.
- 1951Fujiyoshida, a city located in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan, in the center of the Japanese main island of Honshū is founded.
- 2005A magnitude 6.6 earthquake hits Fukuoka, Japan, its first major quake in over 100 years. One person is killed, hundreds are injured and evacuated.
Who were born on March 20?
- 1725Abdul Hamid I, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1789)
- 1836Sir Edward Poynter, British painter (d. 1919)
- 1870Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck, German general (d. 1964)
- 1945Pat Riley, American basketball player and coach
- 1954Louis Sachar, American author
- 1957Theresa Russell, American actress
- 1958Stephen Sommers, American film director
- 1963David Thewlis, British actor
- 1969Jean Labonté, Canadian sledge hockey player
- 1987Daniel Maa Boumsong, Cameroonian football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.