March 20: Day of the Week
March 20, 2017 was the 79th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 286 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 20 Historical Event(s)
- 1602The Dutch East India Company is established.
- 1760The “Great Fire” of Boston, Massachusetts, destroys 349 buildings.
- 1883The Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property is signed.
- 1888The premiere of the very first Romani language operetta is staged in Moscow, Russia.
- 1923The Arts Club of Chicago hosts the opening of Pablo Picasso’s first United States showing, entitled Original Drawings by Pablo Picasso, becoming an early proponent of modern art in the United States.
- 1951Fujiyoshida, a city located in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan, in the center of the Japanese main island of Honshū is founded.
- 1985Canadian paraplegic athlete and humanitarian Rick Hansen begins his circumnavigation of the globe in a wheelchair in the name of spinal cord injury medical research.
- 1988Eritrean War of Independence: Having defeated the Nadew Command, the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front enters the town of Afabet, victoriously concluding the Battle of Afabet.
- 2000Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin, a former Black Panther once known as H. Rap Brown, is captured after murdering Georgia sheriff’s deputy Ricky Kinchen and critically wounding Deputy Aldranon English.
- 20032003 invasion of Iraq: In the early hours of the morning, the United States and three other countries begin military operations in Iraq.
Who were born on March 20?
- 1725Abdul Hamid I, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1789)
- 1836Ferris Jacobs, Jr., American politician (d. 1886)
- 1904B. F. Skinner, American psychologist (d. 1990)
- 1933George Altman, American baseball player
- 1937Lois Lowry, American children’s author
- 1950Carl Palmer, English drummer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
- 1954Mike Francesa, American sports talk show host
- 1971Manny Alexander, Dominican baseball player
- 1974Andrzej Pilipiuk, Polish writer
- 1985Nicolas Lombaerts, Belgian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.