March 21: Day of the Week
March 21, 2017 was the 80th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 285 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your career today? Get the Career Analysis Report and get insights about your professional working life. Find out the circumstances that shape your professional life to improve your earning power. Start to seize career opportunities today! (Sponsored link)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aries horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
March 21: This Day in History
March 21st is the common date of the March equinox (although astronomically the equinox is more likely to fall on March 20 in all but the most easterly longitudes). In astrology, the day of the equinox is the first full day of the sign of Aries. It is also the traditional first day of the astrological year.
March 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1800With the church leadership driven out of Rome during an armed conflict, Pius VII is crowned Pope in Venice with a temporary papal tiara made of papier-mâché.
- 1871Journalist Henry Morton Stanley begins his trek to find the missionary and explorer David Livingstone.
- 1871Otto von Bismarck is appointed Chancellor of the German Empire.
- 1913Over 360 are killed and 20,000 homes destroyed in the Great Dayton Flood in Dayton, Ohio.
- 1925Syngman Rhee is removed from office after being impeached as the President of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea.
- 1928Charles Lindbergh is presented with the Medal of Honor for the first solo trans-Atlantic flight.
- 1945World War II: Bulgaria and the Soviet Union successfully complete their defense of the north bank of the Drava River as the Battle of Drava concludes.
- 1960Apartheid: Massacre in Sharpeville, South Africa: Police open fire on a group of unarmed black South African demonstrators, killing 69 and wounding 180.
- 1963Alcatraz, a federal penitentiary on an island in San Francisco Bay, closes.
- 1980US President Jimmy Carter announces a United States boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow to protest the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan.
Who were born on March 21?
- 1806Benito Juárez, Mexican statesman (d. 1872)
- 1811Nathaniel Woodard, English educationalist (d. 1891)
- 1895Zlatko Baloković, Croatian violinist (d. 1955)
- 1901Karl Arnold, German politician (d. 1958)
- 1902Son House, American musician (d. 1988)
- 1904Forrest Mars Sr., American candymaker (d. 1999)
- 1914Paul Tortelier, French cellist (d. 1990)
- 1978Charmaine Dragun, Australian news anchor (d. 2007)
- 1980Marit Bjørgen, Norwegian cross-country skier
- 1989Rochelle Wiseman, English singer (The Saturdays)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.