March 21: Day of the Week
March 21, 2017 was the 80th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 285 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 21: This Day in History
March 21st is the common date of the March equinox (although astronomically the equinox is more likely to fall on March 20 in all but the most easterly longitudes). In astrology, the day of the equinox is the first full day of the sign of Aries. It is also the traditional first day of the astrological year.
March 21 Historical Event(s)
- 717Battle of Vincy between Charles Martel and Ragenfrid.
- 1188Emperor Antoku accedes to the throne of Japan.
- 1919The Hungarian Soviet Republic is established becoming the first Communist government to be formed in Europe after the October Revolution in Russia.
- 1925Syngman Rhee is removed from office after being impeached as the President of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea.
- 1943Wehrmacht officer Rudolf Christoph Freiherr von Gersdorff plots to assassinate Adolf Hitler by using a suicide bomb, but the plan falls through. Von Gersdorff is able to defuse the bomb in time and avoid suspicion.
- 1945World War II: British troops liberate Mandalay, Burma.
- 1945World War II: Bulgaria and the Soviet Union successfully complete their defense of the north bank of the Drava River as the Battle of Drava concludes.
- 1952Alan Freed presents the Moondog Coronation Ball, the first rock and roll concert, in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 1963Alcatraz, a federal penitentiary on an island in San Francisco Bay, closes.
- 1989Sports Illustrated reports allegations tying baseball player Pete Rose to baseball gambling.
Who were born on March 21?
- 1835Thomas Hayward, English cricketer (d. 1876)
- 1904Forrest Mars Sr., American candymaker (d. 1999)
- 1923Philip Abbott, American actor (d. 1998)
- 1930James Coco, American actor (d. 1987)
- 1942Françoise Dorléac, French actress (d. 1967)
- 1946Ray Dorset, English musician (Mungo Jerry)
- 1958Gary Oldman, English actor
- 1965Xavier Bertrand, French politician
- 1970Shiho Niiyama, Japanese voice actress (d. 2000)
- 1982Jocie Kok, Chinese-Singaporean singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.