March 21: Day of the Week
March 21, 2017 is the 80th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 285 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 21: This Day in History
March 21st is the common date of the March equinox (although astronomically the equinox is more likely to fall on March 20 in all but the most easterly longitudes). In astrology, the day of the equinox is the first full day of the sign of Aries. It is also the traditional first day of the astrological year.
March 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1871Otto von Bismarck is appointed Chancellor of the German Empire.
- 1919The Hungarian Soviet Republic is established becoming the first Communist government to be formed in Europe after the October Revolution in Russia.
- 1925Syngman Rhee is removed from office after being impeached as the President of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea.
- 1928Charles Lindbergh is presented with the Medal of Honor for the first solo trans-Atlantic flight.
- 1945World War II: Bulgaria and the Soviet Union successfully complete their defense of the north bank of the Drava River as the Battle of Drava concludes.
- 1964In Copenhagen, Denmark, Gigliola Cinquetti wins the ninth Eurovision Song Contest for Italy singing “Non ho l'età” (“I'm not old enough”).
- 1965Martin Luther King, Jr. leads 3,200 people on the start of the third and finally successful civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1965Ranger program: NASA launches Ranger 9 which is the last in a series of unmanned lunar space probes.
- 1980US President Jimmy Carter announces a United States boycott of the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow to protest the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan.
- 1989Sports Illustrated reports allegations tying baseball player Pete Rose to baseball gambling.
Who were born on March 21?
- 1906Jim Thompson, American designer and businessman (d. 1967)
- 1910Julio Gallo, American vintner (d. 1993)
- 1918Patrick J. Lucey, American politician
- 1935Brian Clough, English footballer and football manager (d. 2004)
- 1960Benito de Leon, Filipino military officer
- 1963Shawn Lane, American musician (d. 2003)
- 1973Stuart Nethercott, English footballer
- 1978Charmaine Dragun, Australian news anchor (d. 2007)
- 1978Cristian Guzmán, Dominican baseball player
- 1978Kevin Federline, American dancer; ex-husband of Britney Spears
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.