March 21: Day of the Week
March 21, 2017 was the 80th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 285 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 21: This Day in History
March 21st is the common date of the March equinox (although astronomically the equinox is more likely to fall on March 20 in all but the most easterly longitudes). In astrology, the day of the equinox is the first full day of the sign of Aries. It is also the traditional first day of the astrological year.
March 21 Historical Event(s)
- 717Battle of Vincy between Charles Martel and Ragenfrid.
- 1188Emperor Antoku accedes to the throne of Japan.
- 1788A fire in New Orleans leaves most of the town in ruins.
- 1857An earthquake in Tokyo, Japan kills over 100,000.
- 1913Over 360 are killed and 20,000 homes destroyed in the Great Dayton Flood in Dayton, Ohio.
- 1918World War I: The first phase of the German Spring Offensive, Operation Michael, begins.
- 1935Shah Reza Pahlavi formally asks the international community to call Persia by its native name, Iran, which means 'Land of the Aryans.'
- 1965Martin Luther King, Jr. leads 3,200 people on the start of the third and finally successful civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1989Sports Illustrated reports allegations tying baseball player Pete Rose to baseball gambling.
- 2006Immigrant workers constructing the Burj Khalifa and a new terminal of Dubai International Airport riot causing $1M in damage.
Who were born on March 21?
- 1768Joseph Fourier, French mathematician (d. 1830)
- 1901Karl Arnold, German politician (d. 1958)
- 1917Yigael Yadin, Israeli archeologist and politician (d. 1984)
- 1918Patrick J. Lucey, American politician
- 1944Hideki Ishima, Japanese guitarist (Flower Travellin' Band)
- 1944Marie-Christine Barrault, French actress
- 1960Robert Sweet, American drummer
- 1962Mark Waid, American comic book writer
- 1978Charmaine Dragun, Australian news anchor (d. 2007)
- 1981Germano, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.