March 21: Day of the Week
March 21, 2017 was the 80th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 285 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aries horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
March 21: This Day in History
March 21st is the common date of the March equinox (although astronomically the equinox is more likely to fall on March 20 in all but the most easterly longitudes). In astrology, the day of the equinox is the first full day of the sign of Aries. It is also the traditional first day of the astrological year.
March 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1152Annulment of the marriage of King Louis VII of France and Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine.
- 1804Code Napoléon is adopted as French civil law.
- 1857An earthquake in Tokyo, Japan kills over 100,000.
- 1918World War I: The first phase of the German Spring Offensive, Operation Michael, begins.
- 1945World War II: Operation Carthage – British planes bomb Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark. They also hit a school and 125 civilians are killed.
- 1960Apartheid: Massacre in Sharpeville, South Africa: Police open fire on a group of unarmed black South African demonstrators, killing 69 and wounding 180.
- 1963Alcatraz, a federal penitentiary on an island in San Francisco Bay, closes.
- 1965Martin Luther King, Jr. leads 3,200 people on the start of the third and finally successful civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1994The last episode of the Australian TV series Mother and Son was broadcast.
- 1999Bertrand Piccard and Brian Jones become the first to circumnavigate the Earth in a hot air balloon.
Who were born on March 21?
- 1768Joseph Fourier, French mathematician (d. 1830)
- 1902Son House, American musician (d. 1988)
- 1920Manolis Chiotis, Greek bouzouki player and songwriter (d. 1970)
- 1932Joseph Silverstein, American violinist and conductor
- 1943Hartmut Haenchen, German conductor
- 1946Ray Dorset, English musician (Mungo Jerry)
- 1962Rosie O'Donnell, American comedian and actress
- 1963Ronald Koeman, Dutch footballer and football manager
- 1969Ali Daei, Iranian footballer
- 1976Tekin Sazlog, Turkish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.