March 21: Day of the Week
March 21, 2017 was the 80th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 285 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 21: This Day in History
March 21st is the common date of the March equinox (although astronomically the equinox is more likely to fall on March 20 in all but the most easterly longitudes). In astrology, the day of the equinox is the first full day of the sign of Aries. It is also the traditional first day of the astrological year.
March 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1188Emperor Antoku accedes to the throne of Japan.
- 1801The Battle of Alexandria is fought between British and French forces near the ruins of Nicopolis in Egypt.
- 1871Otto von Bismarck is appointed Chancellor of the German Empire.
- 1918World War I: The first phase of the German Spring Offensive, Operation Michael, begins.
- 1921The New Economic Policy is implemented by the Bolshevik Party in response to the economic failure as a result of War Communism.
- 1933Construction of Dachau, the first Nazi concentration camp, is completed.
- 1943Wehrmacht officer Rudolf Christoph Freiherr von Gersdorff plots to assassinate Adolf Hitler by using a suicide bomb, but the plan falls through. Von Gersdorff is able to defuse the bomb in time and avoid suspicion.
- 1946The Los Angeles Rams sign Kenny Washington, making him the first African American player in the American football since 1933.
- 1952Alan Freed presents the Moondog Coronation Ball, the first rock and roll concert, in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 1964In Copenhagen, Denmark, Gigliola Cinquetti wins the ninth Eurovision Song Contest for Italy singing “Non ho l'età” (“I'm not old enough”).
Who were born on March 21?
- 1801Maria Theresa of Tuscany, Queen of Sardinia (d. 1855)
- 1917Frank Hardy, Australian author (d. 1994)
- 1920Manolis Chiotis, Greek bouzouki player and songwriter (d. 1970)
- 1937Tom Flores, American Football player
- 1944Marie-Christine Barrault, French actress
- 1969Ali Daei, Iranian footballer
- 1972Christopher Wallace, American Rapper also known as The Notorious B.I.G or Biggie Smalls (d. 1997)
- 1974Laura Allen, American actress
- 1975Yacoub Al-Mohana, Kuwaiti film director
- 1980Deryck Whibley, Canadian guitarist and singer (Sum41)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.