March 22: Day of the Week
March 22, 2017 is the 81st day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 284 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1622Jamestown massacre: Algonquian Indians kill 347 English settlers around Jamestown, Virginia, a third of the colony’s population.
- 1829The three protecting powers (United Kingdom, France and Russia) establish the borders of Greece.
- 1894The first playoff game for the Stanley Cup starts.
- 1916The last Emperor of China, Yuan Shikai, abdicates the throne and the Republic of China is restored.
- 1939World War II: Germany takes Memel from Lithuania.
- 1943World War II: the entire population of Khatyn in Belarus is burnt alive by German occupation forces.
- 1960Arthur Leonard Schawlow and Charles Hard Townes receive the first patent for a laser
- 1984Teachers at the McMartin preschool in Manhattan Beach, California are charged with satanic ritual abuse of the children in the school. The charges are later dropped as completely unfounded.
- 1989Clint Malarchuk of the Buffalo Sabres suffers a near-fatal injury when another player accidentally slits his throat.
- 1992USAir Flight 405 crashes shortly after liftoff from New York City’s LaGuardia Airport, leading to a number of studies into the effect that ice has on aircraft.
Who were born on March 22?
- 1723Charles Carroll, American statesman (d. 1783)
- 1868Robert Millikan, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1953)
- 1869Emilio Aguinaldo, Filipino statesman (d. 1964)
- 1878Michel Théato, Luxembourgian athlete (d. 1919)
- 1880Ernie Quigley, Canadian-born American sports official (d. 1960)
- 1885Aryeh Levin, Lithuanian rabbi (d. 1969)
- 1946Don Chaney, American basketball player and head coach
- 1959Carlton Cuse, Mexican-born American TV writer and executive
- 1972Shawn Bradley, American basketball player
- 1975Cole Hauser, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.