March 23: Day of the Week
March 23, 2017 is the 82nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 283 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1821Greek War of Independence: Battle and fall of city of Kalamata.
- 1848The ship John Wickliffe arrives at Port Chalmers carrying the first Scottish settlers for Dunedin, New Zealand. Otago province is founded.
- 1905Eleftherios Venizelos calls for Crete’s union with Greece, and begins what is to be known as the Theriso revolt.
- 1909Theodore Roosevelt leaves New York for a post-presidency safari in Africa. The trip is sponsored by the Smithsonian Institution and National Geographic Society.
- 1919In Milan, Italy, Benito Mussolini founds his Fascist political movement.
- 1939The Hungarian air force attacks the headquarters of Slovak air force in the city of Spišská Nová Ves, kills 13 people and began the Slovak–Hungarian War.
- 1942World War II: In the Indian Ocean, Japanese forces capture the Andaman Islands.
- 1983Strategic Defense Initiative: President Ronald Reagan makes his initial proposal to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles.
- 1989Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann announce their discovery of cold fusion at the University of Utah.
- 1994Aeroflot Flight 593 crashes in Siberia when the pilot’s fifteen-year old son accidentally disengages the autopilot, killing all 75 people on board.
Who were born on March 23?
- 1831Eduard Schlagintweit, German writer (d. 1866)
- 1920Tetsuharu Kawakami, Japanese baseball player and coach
- 1921Donald Campbell, British car and motorboat racer (d. 1967)
- 1943Nils-Aslak Valkeapää, Finnish writer (d. 2001)
- 1961Steve Holmes, Romanian/German pornographic actor
- 1966Marin Hinkle, American actress
- 1968Michael Atherton, English cricketer
- 1971Alexander Selivanov, Russian ice hockey player
- 1982Andrea Musacco, Italian footballer
- 1982José Raúl Contreras, Chilean footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.