March 23: Day of the Week
March 23, 2017 was the 82nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 283 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Aries horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
March 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1775American Revolutionary War: Patrick Henry delivers his speech – “Give me Liberty, or give me Death!” – at St. John’s Church in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1806After traveling through the Louisiana Purchase and reaching the Pacific Ocean, explorers Lewis and Clark and their “Corps of Discovery” begin their arduous journey home.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: Battle and fall of city of Kalamata.
- 1862The First Battle of Kernstown, Virginia, marks the start of Stonewall Jackson’s Valley Campaign. Though a Confederate defeat, the engagement distracts Federal efforts to capture Richmond.
- 1868The University of California is founded in Oakland, California when the Organic Act is signed into law.
- 1879War of the Pacific: The Battle of Topáter, the first battle of the war is fought between Chile and the joint forces of Bolivia and Peru.
- 1956Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world. (Republic Day in Pakistan)
- 1982Guatemala’s government, headed by Fernando Romeo Lucas García is overthrown in a military coup by right-wing General Efraín Ríos Montt.
- 1983Strategic Defense Initiative: President Ronald Reagan makes his initial proposal to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles.
- 1994At an election rally in Tijuana, Mexican presidential candidate Luis Donaldo Colosio is assassinated by Mario Aburto Martínez.
Who were born on March 23?
- 1754Baron Jurij Vega, Slovenian mathematician, physicist, and artillery officer (d. 1802)
- 1893Cedric Gibbons, American art director (d. 1960)
- 1895Dane Rudhyar, French-US author, composer, astrologer (d. 1985)
- 1919Carl Graffunder, architect
- 1920Neal Smith, former United States Congressman
- 1931Yevgenij Grishin, Russian speed skater (d. 2005)
- 1933Philip Zimbardo, American psychologist
- 1941Jim Trelease, American educator and children’s literature author
- 1964John Pinette, American comedian
- 1990Jaime Alguersuari, Spanish racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.