March 23: Day of the Week
March 23, 2017 is the 82nd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 283 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1879War of the Pacific: The Battle of Topáter, the first battle of the war is fought between Chile and the joint forces of Bolivia and Peru.
- 1919In Milan, Italy, Benito Mussolini founds his Fascist political movement.
- 1940The Lahore Resolution (Qarardad-e-Pakistan or the then Qarardad-e-Lahore) is put forward at the Annual General Convention of the All India Muslim League.
- 1942World War II: In the Indian Ocean, Japanese forces capture the Andaman Islands.
- 1956Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world. (Republic Day in Pakistan)
- 1962Ship NS, the first nuclear-powered cargo-passenger ship, is launched as a showcase for Dwight D. Eisenhower’s Atoms for Peace initiative.
- 1978The first UNIFIL troops arrived in Lebanon for peacekeeping mission along the Blue Line.
- 1982Guatemala’s government, headed by Fernando Romeo Lucas García is overthrown in a military coup by right-wing General Efraín Ríos Montt.
- 1983Strategic Defense Initiative: President Ronald Reagan makes his initial proposal to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles.
- 1996Taiwan holds its first direct elections and chooses Lee Teng-hui as President.
Who were born on March 23?
- 1645William “Captain” Kidd, Scottish sailor (d. 1701)
- 1933Philip Zimbardo, American psychologist
- 1948David Olney, American musician
- 1949Ric Ocasek, American musician (The Cars)
- 1953Bo Díaz, Venezuelan baseball player (d. 1990)
- 1965Marti Pellow, Scottish singer
- 1968Fernando Hierro, Spanish footballer
- 1971Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Japanese professional wrestler
- 1972Joe Calzaghe, Welsh boxer
- 1979Donncha O'Callaghan, Irish rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.