March 24: Day of the Week
March 24, 2016 was the 84th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 282 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 24: This Day in History
March 24th is the 365th and last day of the year in many European implementations of the Julian calendar.
March 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1829Catholic Emancipation: The Parliament of the United Kingdom passes the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829, allowing Catholics to serve in Parliament.
- 1837Canada gives African Canadian men the right to vote.
- 1869The last of Titokowaru’s forces surrendered to the New Zealand government, ending his uprising.
- 1900Mayor of New York City Robert Anderson Van Wyck breaks ground for a new underground “Rapid Transit Railroad” that would link Manhattan and Brooklyn.
- 1923Greece becomes a republic.
- 1934U.S. Congress passes the Tydings-McDuffie Act allowing the Philippines to become a self-governing commonwealth.
- 1946The British Cabinet Mission, consisting of Lord Pethick-Lawrence, Sir Stafford Cripps and A. V. Alexander, arrives in India to discuss and plan for the transfer of power from the British Raj to Indian leadership.
- 1972The United Kingdom imposes direct rule over Northern Ireland.
- 1998A tornado sweeps through Dantan in India killing 250 people and injuring 3000 others.
- 2003The Arab League votes 21-1 in favor of a resolution demanding the immediate and unconditional removal of U.S. and British soldiers from Iraq.
Who were born on March 24?
- 1657Arai Hakuseki, Japanese writer and politician (d. 1725)
- 1829George Francis Train, American businessman (d. 1904)
- 1893George Sisler, American baseball player (d. 1973)
- 1905Pura Santillan-Castrence, Filipino writer and diplomat (d. 2007)
- 1912Dorothy Height, American activist (d. 2010)
- 1917Constantine Andreou, Greek-Brazilian artist (d. 2007)
- 1938David Irving, British historian
- 1949Ruud Krol, Dutch footballer
- 1965Peter Jacobson, American actor
- 1984Adrian D'Souza, Indian field hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.