March 24: Day of the Week
March 24, 2016 was the 84th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 282 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 24: This Day in History
March 24th is the 365th and last day of the year in many European implementations of the Julian calendar.
March 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1603Tokugawa Ieyasu is granted the title of shogun from Emperor Go-Yozei, and establishes the Tokugawa Shogunate in Edo, Japan.
- 1707The Acts of Union 1707 is signed, officially uniting the Kingdoms of England and Scotland to create the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1829Catholic Emancipation: The Parliament of the United Kingdom passes the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829, allowing Catholics to serve in Parliament.
- 1869The last of Titokowaru’s forces surrendered to the New Zealand government, ending his uprising.
- 1878The British frigate HMS Eurydice sinks, killing more than 300.
- 1923Greece becomes a republic.
- 1976In Argentina, the armed forces overthrow the constitutional government of President Isabel Perón and start a 7-year dictatorial period self-styled the National Reorganization Process. Since 2006, a public holiday known as Day of Remembrance for Truth and Justice is held on this day.
- 1999Kosovo War: NATO commences air bombardment against Yugoslavia, marking the first time NATO has attacked a sovereign country.
- 2000S&P 500 index reaches an intraday high of 1,552.87, a peak that, due to the collapse of the dot-com bubble, it will not reach again for another seven-and-a-half years.
- 2008Bhutan officially becomes a democracy, with its first ever general election.
Who were born on March 24?
- 1693John Harrison, British clockmaker (d. 1776)
- 1775Muthuswami Dikshitar, South Indian poet and composer, considered one of the musical trinity of Carnatic music (d. 1835)
- 1803Egerton Ryerson, Canadian educator and politician (d. 1882)
- 1830Robert Hamerling, Austrian poet (d. 1889)
- 1903Adolf Butenandt, German chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1995)
- 1911Joseph Barbera, American cartoonist (d. 2006)
- 1938David Irving, British historian
- 1955Doug Jarvis, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1960Barry Horowitz, American professional wrestler
- 1979Periklis Iakovakis, Greek athlete
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.