March 24: Day of the Week
March 24, 2016 is the 84th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 282 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 24: This Day in History
March 24th is the 365th and last day of the year in many European implementations of the Julian calendar.
March 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1603James VI of Scotland also becomes James I of England.
- 1832In Hiram, Ohio a group of men beat, tar and feather Mormon leader Joseph Smith, Jr.
- 1869The last of Titokowaru’s forces surrendered to the New Zealand government, ending his uprising.
- 1896A. A. Popov makes the first radio signal transmission in history.
- 1934U.S. Congress passes the Tydings-McDuffie Act allowing the Philippines to become a self-governing commonwealth.
- 1944World War II: In an event later dramatized in the movie The Great Escape, 76 prisoners begin breaking out of Stalag Luft III.
- 1976In Argentina, the armed forces overthrow the constitutional government of President Isabel Perón and start a 7-year dictatorial period self-styled the National Reorganization Process. Since 2006, a public holiday known as Day of Remembrance for Truth and Justice is held on this day.
- 1980Archbishop Óscar Romero is killed while celebrating Mass in San Salvador.
- 1989Exxon Valdez oil spill: In Prince William Sound in Alaska, the Exxon Valdez spills 240000 oilbbl of petroleum after running aground.
- 1999Kosovo War: NATO commences air bombardment against Yugoslavia, marking the first time NATO has attacked a sovereign country.
Who were born on March 24?
- 1835Jožef Stefan, Slovenian physicist (d. 1893)
- 1902Thomas E. Dewey, American politician (d. 1971)
- 1910Richard Conte, American actor (d. 1975)
- 1917John Kendrew, British molecular biologist, Nobel laureate (d. 1997)
- 1921Vasily Smyslov, Russian chess player (d. 2010)
- 1930David Dacko, Central African Republician politician (d. 2003)
- 1946Klaus Dinger, German musician (d. 2008)
- 1948Jerzy Kukuczka, Polish mountaineer (d. 1989)
- 1977Corneille, Rwandan/Canadian singer
- 1987Shakib Al Hasan, Bangladeshi cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.