March 24: Day of the Week
March 24, 2017 was the 83rd day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 282 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 24: This Day in History
March 24th is the 365th and last day of the year in many European implementations of the Julian calendar.
March 24 Historical Event(s)
- 1603Tokugawa Ieyasu is granted the title of shogun from Emperor Go-Yozei, and establishes the Tokugawa Shogunate in Edo, Japan.
- 1944World War II: In an event later dramatized in the movie The Great Escape, 76 prisoners begin breaking out of Stalag Luft III.
- 1958Rock'N'Roll teen idol Elvis Presley is drafted in the U.S. Army.
- 1965NASA spacecraft Ranger 9, equipped to convert its signals into a form suitable for showing on domestic television, brings images of the Moon into ordinary homes before crash landing.
- 1972The United Kingdom imposes direct rule over Northern Ireland.
- 1986The Loscoe gas explosion leads to new UK laws on landfill gas migration and gas protection on landfill sites.
- 1989Exxon Valdez oil spill: In Prince William Sound in Alaska, the Exxon Valdez spills 240000 oilbbl of petroleum after running aground.
- 1998A tornado sweeps through Dantan in India killing 250 people and injuring 3000 others.
- 2003The Arab League votes 21-1 in favor of a resolution demanding the immediate and unconditional removal of U.S. and British soldiers from Iraq.
- 2008Bhutan officially becomes a democracy, with its first ever general election.
Who were born on March 24?
- 1657Arai Hakuseki, Japanese writer and politician (d. 1725)
- 1901Ub Iwerks, American cartoonist (d. 1971)
- 1923Michael Legat, England writer (d. 2011)
- 1924Norman Fell, American actor (d. 1998)
- 1938Holger Czukay, German musician (Can)
- 1945Robert T. Bakker, American paleontologist
- 1963Raimond van der Gouw, Dutch footballer goalkeeper
- 1973Jacek Bąk, Polish footballer
- 1984Adrian D'Souza, Indian field hockey player
- 1985Amanda Lameche, Swedish singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.