March 27: Day of the Week
March 27, 2016 was the 87th day of the year 2016 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 279 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1613The first English child born in Canada at Cuper’s Cove, Newfoundland to Nicholas Guy.
- 1809Peninsular War: A combined Franco-Polish force defeats the Spanish in the Battle of Ciudad-Real.
- 1836Texas Revolution: Goliad massacre – Antonio López de Santa Anna orders the Mexican army to kill about 400 Texas POWs at Goliad, Texas.
- 1851First reported sighting of the Yosemite Valley by Europeans.
- 1886Famous Apache warrior, Geronimo, surrenders to the U.S. Army, ending the main phase of the Apache Wars.
- 1943World War II: Battle of the Komandorski Islands – In the Aleutian Islands the battle begins when United States Navy forces intercept Japanese attempting to reinforce a garrison at Kiska.
- 1958Nikita Khrushchev becomes Premier of the Soviet Union.
- 1977Tenerife airport disaster: Two Boeing 747 airliners collide on a foggy runway on Tenerife in the Canary Islands, killing 583 (all 248 on KLM and 335 on Pan Am). 61 survived on the Pan Am flight.
- 1990The United States begins broadcasting TV Martí to Cuba in an effort to bridge the information blackout imposed by the Castro regime.
- 2004HMS Scylla, a decommissioned Leander class frigate, is sunk as an artificial reef off Cornwall, the first of its kind in Europe.
Who were born on March 27?
- 1845Wilhelm Röntgen, German physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1923)
- 1851Vincent d'Indy, French composer and teacher (d. 1931)
- 1898Alma Tell, American stage and film actress (d. 1937)
- 1922Dick King-Smith English author (d. 2011)
- 1923Louis Simpson, Jamaican-born poet
- 1940Austin Pendleton, American actor
- 1946Olaf Malolepski, German musician (Die Flippers)
- 1950Petros Efthimiou, Greek politician
- 1957Billy Mackenzie, Scottish musician (Associates) (d. 1997)
- 1974Russ Haas, wrestler (d. 2001)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.