March 28: Day of the Week
March 28, 2017 is the 87th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 278 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 28 Historical Event(s)
- 1794Allies under the prince of Coburg defeat French forces at Le Cateau.
- 1860First Taranaki War: The Battle of Waireka begins.
- 1871The Paris Commune is formally established in Paris.
- 1920Palm Sunday tornado outbreak of 1920 affects the Great Lakes region and Deep South states.
- 1930Constantinople and Angora change their names to Istanbul and Ankara.
- 1939Spanish Civil War: Generalissimo Francisco Franco conquers Madrid.
- 1946Cold War: The United States State Department releases the Acheson–Lilienthal Report, outlining a plan for the international control of nuclear power.
- 1969Greek poet and Nobel Prize laureate Giorgos Seferis makes a famous statement on the BBC World Service opposing the junta in Greece.
- 2005The 2005 Sumatra earthquake rocks Indonesia, and at magnitude 8.7 is the fourth strongest earthquake since 1965.
- 2006At least 1 million union members, students, and unemployed take to the streets in France in protest at the government’s proposed First Employment Contract law.
Who were born on March 28?
- 1652Samuel Sewall, American magistrate (d. 1730)
- 1795Georg Heinrich Pertz, German historian (d. 1876)
- 1842William Harvey Carney, American Civil War officer (d. 1908)
- 1849James Darmesteter, French author and antiquarian (d. 1894)
- 1899August “Gussie” Anheuser Busch, Jr., American brewer and baseball executive (d. 1989)
- 1915Jay Livingston, American composer and songwriter (d. 2001)
- 1942Samuel Ramey, American opera singer
- 1961Byron Scott, American basketball player and coach
- 1975Iván Helguera, Spanish footballer
- 1990Zac Clarke, Australian rules footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.