March 28: Day of the Week
March 28, 2017 is the 87th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 278 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 28 Historical Event(s)
- 193Roman Emperor Pertinax is assassinated by Praetorian Guards, who then sell the throne in an auction to Didius Julianus.
- 1860First Taranaki War: The Battle of Waireka begins.
- 1910Henri Fabre becomes the first person to fly a seaplane, the Fabre Hydravion, after taking off from a water runway near Martigues, France.
- 1913Guatemala becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- 1930Constantinople and Angora change their names to Istanbul and Ankara.
- 1969Greek poet and Nobel Prize laureate Giorgos Seferis makes a famous statement on the BBC World Service opposing the junta in Greece.
- 1978The US Supreme Court hands down 5-3 decision in Stump v. Sparkman, 435 U.S. 349, a controversial case involving involuntary sterilization and judicial immunity.
- 1990President George H. W. Bush posthumously awards Jesse Owens the Congressional Gold Medal.
- 1994In South Africa, Zulus and African National Congress supporters battle in central Johannesburg, resulting in 18 deaths.
- 2003In a friendly fire incident, two A-10 Thunderbolt II attack aircraft from the United States Idaho Air National Guard’s 190th Fighter Squadron attack British tanks participating in the 2003 invasion of Iraq, killing British soldier Matty Hull.
Who were born on March 28?
- 1836Frederick Pabst, American brewer (d. 1904)
- 1842William Harvey Carney, American Civil War officer (d. 1908)
- 1903Rudolf Serkin, Austrian pianist (d. 1991)
- 1905Pandro S. Berman, American film producer (d. 1996)
- 1909Nelson Algren, American writer (d. 1981)
- 1927Marianne Fredriksson, Swedish author (d. 2007)
- 1930Jerome Isaac Friedman, American physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1951Matti Pellonpää, Finnish actor and musician (d. 1995)
- 1960Éric-Emmanuel Schmitt, French author and dramatist
- 1986Barbora Záhlavová-Strýcová, Czech tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.