March 28: Day of the Week
March 28, 2017 was the 87th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 278 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 28 Historical Event(s)
- 845Paris is sacked by Viking raiders, probably under Ragnar Lodbrok, who collects a huge ransom in exchange for leaving.
- 1795Partitions of Poland: The Duchy of Courland, a northern fief of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, ceases to exist and becomes part of Imperial Russia.
- 1809Peninsular War: France defeats Spain in the Battle of Medelin.
- 1910Henri Fabre becomes the first person to fly a seaplane, the Fabre Hydravion, after taking off from a water runway near Martigues, France.
- 1930Constantinople and Angora change their names to Istanbul and Ankara.
- 1941World War II: Battle of Cape Matapan – in the Mediterranean Sea, British Admiral Andrew Browne Cunningham leads the Royal Navy in the destruction of three major Italian heavy cruisers and two destroyers.
- 1942World War II: In occupied France, British naval forces successfully raid the German-occupied port of St. Nazaire.
- 1979Operators of Three Mile Island’s Unit 2 nuclear reactor outside of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania fail to recognize that a relief valve in the primary coolant system has stuck open following an unexpected shutdown. As a result, enough coolant drains out of the system to allow the core to overheat and partially melt down.
- 1990President George H. W. Bush posthumously awards Jesse Owens the Congressional Gold Medal.
- 1994In South Africa, Zulus and African National Congress supporters battle in central Johannesburg, resulting in 18 deaths.
Who were born on March 28?
- 1815Arsène Houssaye, French novelist (d. 1896)
- 1894Ernst Lindemann, German naval officer (d. 1941)
- 1946Henry Paulson Jr., American economist
- 1960José Maria Neves, Cape Verdeian politician
- 1965Steve Bull, English footballer
- 1970Michelle Gildernew, Irish republican politician
- 1972Nick Frost, English comedian and actor
- 1977Erik Rasmussen, American ice hockey player
- 1980Chitrangada Singh, Indian actress
- 1988Patrick Mayer, German footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.