March 29: Day of the Week
March 29, 2017 is the 88th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 277 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1632Treaty of Saint-Germain is signed returning Quebec to French control after the English had seized it in 1629.
- 1638Swedish colonists establish the first European settlement in Delaware, naming it New Sweden.
- 1809King Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden abdicates after a coup d'état. At the Diet of Porvoo, Finland’s four Estates pledge allegiance to Alexander I of Russia, commencing the secession of the Grand Duchy of Finland from Sweden.
- 1865American Civil War: Federal forces under Major General Philip Sheridan move to flank Confederate forces under Robert E. Lee as the Appomattox Campaign begins.
- 1941The North American Radio Broadcasting Agreement goes into effect at 03:00 local time.
- 1941World War II: British Royal Navy and Royal Australian Navy forces defeat those of the Italian Regia Marina off the Peloponnesian coast of Greece in the Battle of Cape Matapan.
- 1957The New York, Ontario and Western Railway makes its final run, the first major U.S. railroad to be abandoned in its entirety.
- 1971My Lai massacre: Lieutenant William Calley is convicted of premeditated murder and sentenced to life in prison.
- 1982The Canada Act 1982 (U.K.) receives the Royal Assent from Queen Elizabeth II, setting the stage for the Queen of Canada to proclaim the Constitution Act, 1982.
- 1990The Czechoslovak parliament is unable to reach an agreement on what to call the country after the fall of Communism, sparking the so-called Hyphen War.
Who were born on March 29?
- 1790John Tyler, 10th President of the United States (d. 1862)
- 1869Aleš Hrdlička, Czech anthropologist living in the United States (d. 1943)
- 1889Warner Baxter, American actor (d. 1951)
- 1949John Arthur Spenkelink, American murderer (d. 1979)
- 1959Perry Farrell, American musician
- 1971Lara Logan, South-African journalist and reporter
- 1972Rui Costa, Portugal footballer
- 1984Mohamed Bouazizi, Tunisian vegetable vendor and activist (d. 2011)
- 1987Gianluca Freddi, Italian footballer
- 1988Jürgen Zopp, Estonian tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.