March 29: Day of the Week
March 29, 2017 was the 88th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 277 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 29 Historical Event(s)
- 1809King Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden abdicates after a coup d'état. At the Diet of Porvoo, Finland’s four Estates pledge allegiance to Alexander I of Russia, commencing the secession of the Grand Duchy of Finland from Sweden.
- 1831Great Bosnian uprising: Bosniaks rebel against Turkey.
- 1865American Civil War: Federal forces under Major General Philip Sheridan move to flank Confederate forces under Robert E. Lee as the Appomattox Campaign begins.
- 1871The Royal Albert Hall is opened by Queen Victoria.
- 1886Dr. John Pemberton brews the first batch of Coca-Cola in a backyard in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1936In Germany, Adolf Hitler receives 99% of the votes in a referendum to ratify Germany’s illegal reoccupation of the Rhineland, receiving 44.5 million votes out of 45.5 million registered voters.
- 1941World War II: British Royal Navy and Royal Australian Navy forces defeat those of the Italian Regia Marina off the Peloponnesian coast of Greece in the Battle of Cape Matapan.
- 1990The Czechoslovak parliament is unable to reach an agreement on what to call the country after the fall of Communism, sparking the so-called Hyphen War.
- 2004The Republic of Ireland becomes the first country in the world to ban smoking in all work places, including bars and restaurants.
- 2010Two female suicide bombers hit the Moscow Metro system at the peak of the morning rush hour, killing 40.
Who were born on March 29?
- 1920John Belk, American head of Belk, Inc. (d. 2007)
- 1928Vincent Gigante, American mafioso (d. 2005)
- 1937Billy Carter, brother of Jimmy Carter (d. 1988)
- 1941Joseph Hooton Taylor, Jr., American astrophysicist, Nobel laureate
- 1959Perry Farrell, American musician
- 1965Voula Patoulidou, Greek athlete
- 1968Lucy Lawless, New Zealand actress and singer
- 1979Estela Giménez, Spanish gymnast
- 1980Bill Demong, American Nordic combined skier
- 1989James Tomkins, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.